(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,089 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Steveboos
  • Topic is favorited by 156 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0541 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0546 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
022455A9-C713-482A-9C89-103AC9DD30C9 (resized).jpeg
B3E31273-9F7A-4318-8A74-EFC5D5ED0D92 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2590 (resized).jpeg
56792a12-d9e6-4eb5-8120-90cf43539721 (resized).jpeg
17092502734479174720410168802459 (resized).jpg
p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg
dm3 (resized).jpg
dm2 (resized).jpg

There are 3,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 62.
#801 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Lots of bad bulbs. Replaced every one and they all worked. Not even a bad socket or joint anywhere

I’ve had several machines like this. I had a lethal weapon 3 with one working bulb lol.

I picked up a demo man again for the second time the other day and had forgotten how much I liked it. Super clean wth great ramps. Of course it has one broken plastic. You get two guesses at which one it is and the first guess doesn’t count. Lol. When is someone going to just make that third flipper plastic in bulk lol.

#802 6 years ago

Gonna guess the busted plastic is over the two round stand ups?

Ok another thing. My ball launch button doesnt work. The ball fires when I press the right flipper button or trigger.... What's up with that?

It fired right up the 2nd day home. No dmd and no batteries installed, so I had to fumble a bit to see what's up with how to clear the warning blind.

Oh and I want to know how to test the claw.. I think it may be disabled....

Anyone help a blind dmd dude?

Oh and the vuk works fine in game...

#803 6 years ago

The elevator on my DM has gone intermittant. Usually a jiggle or two gets it going after I open it up, which would make me think it's a loose connection. However, all the connections seem to look pretty solid. I'm considering desoldering and resoldering the connections to the motor. Any other "usual suspects" with the elevator going intermitant like this? I did check the opto and it checks out good, although I am considering just replacing that as well.....

#804 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Gonna guess the busted plastic is over the two round stand ups?

It’s the long one over the upper flipper. It’s always broken seems like

Quoted from RockBass14:

The elevator on my DM has gone intermittant. Usually a jiggle or two gets it going after I open it up, which would make me think it's a loose connection. However, all the connections seem to look pretty solid. I'm considering desoldering and resoldering the connections to the motor. Any other "usual suspects" with the elevator going intermitant like this? I did check the opto and it checks out good, although I am considering just replacing that as well.....

You might try cleaning the optos. I had intermittent optos on my Dirty Harry and they were just dirty

#805 6 years ago

I'll try that. I will probably just replace them while I'm down there. However, when the ball goes into the elevator it won't move. I get a credit dot and when I go run an elevator test, it doesn't move. I go jiggle motor and wires around and then it works. This leads me to believe it's most likely not the opto. What do you think?

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I'll try that. I will probably just replace them while I'm down there. However, when the ball goes into the elevator it won't move. I get a credit dot and when I go run an elevator test, it doesn't move. I go jiggle motor and wires around and then it works. This leads me to believe it's most likely not the opto. What do you think?

Maybe a bad solder joint on the EMI board?

#807 6 years ago

Good idea, I'll check that!

#808 6 years ago

This DM is the gift that keeps on giving. In an effort to trouble shoot the random reset problem, I ought a Kahr.us pro daughterboard, hopefully that will give me a clue as to whether or not its a power supply issue. I have read some posts from other pins before that said if there are diagonal lines on the dot matrix when it resets it's probably something display related, mine does have these symptoms.

Back to the daughterboard, when I installed it I got a U6 CHKSUM error, took it off and it went away, put it back on and the error is back. The DM manual says to replace the the Rom, but the game runs just fine from what I can tell. So, I guess I'll leave it on and hope that the daughterboard can tell me what's going on.

Thoughts?

#809 6 years ago

Checked the EMI board like Zacaj suggested. J2 is pretty loose and it makes sense that could be the culprit since the issue is intermittant. A video is attached below. The fix for this seems like I might need a new female end of the plug, I tried bending the tabs down that are in the plug to get a more secure fit, but it still wiggles around like in the video. Does anyone have another fix?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14364xYQgQtZ1fFbecLV2QVp5JLC5gOhz/view?usp=sharing

#810 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Checked the EMI board like Zacaj suggested. J2 is pretty loose and it makes sense that could be the culprit since the issue is intermittant. A video is attached below. The fix for this seems like I might need a new female end of the plug, I tried bending the tabs down that are in the plug to get a more secure fit, but it still wiggles around like in the video. Does anyone have another fix?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14364xYQgQtZ1fFbecLV2QVp5JLC5gOhz/view?usp=sharing

Does it have a key in the middle slot? Might try taking it out if so. Otherwise, I'd replace it

#811 6 years ago

Can't the diagonal lines be the slam tilt/memory protect as well? Does it make an electrical sounding "bzzzzt, bzzzt" sound when it resets? Seems too simple for your problem description, but it is easy to check those switches and rule it out.

#812 6 years ago

Yep, there is a buzz and the diagonal lines just like the slam tilt show when they're activated. I found the one on the coin door pretty close to the contact, so I was hoping maybe that was it, but it just reset again. Both slam tilt switches were adjusted so it's nearly impossible for them to make any kind of contact. I'm unfamiliar with the memory protect issue, but, what you say is exactly what I'm experincing as far as visual and audible ques.

FWIW, I have put on a color DMD, replaced all 3 flipper coils and done all LEDs. I also put LED strip lighting in the "windows" at the back behind the cryo claw and the jets. I dont think these would necessarily lead to these resets, but I wonder if I should at least take the color DMD out as a process of elimination? It also seems to happen 90% of the time during a multiball.

#813 6 years ago

Disconnected coin door and other slam tilt and it still did the same thing :-\

#814 6 years ago

Ok, so......

Watch this video......

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WEQ3Ij7unTwVewvtd54ihzmxV28HrHko/view?usp=sharing

Left sling and upper sling.....It has to be a wiring issue down there, no? A quick look at wiring for both slings looks pretty solid....

#815 6 years ago

Do you suppose it's the upper sling, or is there a way to determine which one it is? Also, could it be a bad diode on the leaf switch that activates the sling?
The only thing that looks potentially out of place is the lead switch on the upper sling as depicted in the photo. I can't tell if that extra metal leaf off the side is supposed to have a wire or diode solered in, but it looks like something was there before. How do I find out if someting is missing from there, it's a leaf switch attached to the upper sling?

IMG_2921 (resized).JPGIMG_2921 (resized).JPG

#816 6 years ago

One of the other things you could do is open the coin door so the coils are disabled and check if it is the switch causing the issue, or if it is the coil.

#817 6 years ago

Thanks for the idea. I went ahead and rewired the leaf switch like the other ones and added a diode, problem solved!

Thanks for the help!

#818 6 years ago

sweet! great to hear its fixed.. so did it have anything to do with the slam sensors at all?

Also, did you happen to look around in the bottom of the cab? You may see the broken off diode floating around in there...

#819 6 years ago

Nope had nothing to do with the slam tilt switches, I unplugged them completely and it was still happening. I haven't found the diode yet, I wonder if the previous owner had someone do that hack job?

#820 6 years ago

I'll take a pic of my demo man rescue restore tonight. I'll see if its there.

Also, anyone have leads on handle buttons? My triggers are fine but one of my handle thumb buttons is mangled bad. I freed it and can move it now, but I'd like like to know what I could use for it...

#821 6 years ago

About a page or two back, there was discussion of some pretty radical lighted handle buttons. They'd require a bit of wiring but it's worth it IMO. Check that out.

#822 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I'll take a pic of my demo man rescue restore tonight. I'll see if its there.
Also, anyone have leads on handle buttons? My triggers are fine but one of my handle thumb buttons is mangled bad. I freed it and can move it now, but I'd like like to know what I could use for it...

Last week PPS and LSoG both had them in stock, they are not hard to find. Theres also a guy on ebay ripping folks off for 4x what they cost anywhere else. Ive got 2 nice used ones if you're desperate!

#824 6 years ago

Thanks for the leads to buttons! I'm going to try and get a dmd before replacing anything.

Anyone have a good pic of the cars had used on the pf? I'm pretty sure the car in mine is the uber rare matchbox used in Data East's secret service... go figure!

So to replace, is 1 handle button and possibly 1 car...

Anyone put an led dmd in their dm? I'm looking for help or leads to 1..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basket-case-demolition-man-restore-help-needed

#825 6 years ago

I put the LED Color DMD in mine and it looks great. I wasn't sure if I wanted the LCD or LED version but have no regrets about going with the LED option, it looks great and suits the game, IMO. I couldn't find any used ones anywhere, I think you're pretty much going to have to buy one new from the Color DMD folks.....

#826 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I put the LED Color DMD in mine and it looks great. I wasn't sure if I wanted the LCD or LED version but have no regrets about going with the LED option, it looks great and suits the game, IMO. I couldn't find any used ones anywhere, I think you're pretty much going to have to buy one new from the Color DMD folks.....

Post some pics. If you don’t care of course. I’m on the fence myself. I have a couple of games that’s I’m contemplating color dmd on and dm is one of them.

#827 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Which color DMD did you go with? Did you end up making your own ala PIN2DMD?

#828 6 years ago

I ended up going with colordmd.com; I too was on the fence about LCD vs LED and the cost, but have no regerts. Once you start getting into the special modes and some of the more obscure parts of the game the color stuff is pretty cool! Here are your pics! Also added the blue LED strip lights inside the windows at the back of the PF; I also highly recommend that!

IMG_2974 (resized).JPGIMG_2974 (resized).JPG
IMG_2976 (resized).JPGIMG_2976 (resized).JPG

#829 6 years ago

Question. On a DM I am working on the ball is hanging on the super jets exit where the cryo claw drops it. I tried adjusting the switch but it just doesn't seen steep enough to get momentum for the ball to roll out. The ball basically sits in the plastic slot cut for the switch. Rear legs are cranked up and it is level. Any suggestions?

#830 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Question. On a DM I am working on the ball is hanging on the super jets exit where the cryo claw drops it. I tried adjusting the switch but it just doesn't seen steep enough to get momentum for the ball to roll out. The ball basically sits in the plastic slot cut for the switch. Rear legs are cranked up and it is level. Any suggestions?

This happened to me too! Try to inclinate more the machine!

I am remounting my demoman after general cleaning but I can't remember what are those 2 half posts for..can you help me ?

20171119_095821 (resized).jpg20171119_095821 (resized).jpg

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

This happened to me too! Try to inclinate more the machine!
I am remounting my demoman after general cleaning but I can't remember what are those 2 half posts for..can you help me ?

The 2 left wireform ramp supports mount to those... The one that drops to "retina scan" and the one that drops in the return lane.

#832 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The 2 left wireform ramp supports mount to those... The one that drops to "retina scan" and the one that drops in the return lane.

Oooh right!!!! Thank you very much!!

#833 6 years ago

I had the same problem. It was an incline issue. Make sure you've got a steep enough incline!

#834 6 years ago

Had an interesting thing happen; I was working on a museum multiball and got two balls consecutively up the right ramp for the super jackpot. Both balls ended up in the elevator, it picked up one, dropped it at ACMAG, went back to the elevator and picked up the second then dropped it back into the elevator. I ended up draining the ACMAG ball and the ball in the elevator wasn't found until a ball search. I guess they don't have logic in the software for something like that.

Another strange thing I've seen happen twice now; shortly after activating the cryo claw, I'll shoot a ball up the right ramp, it goes to the elevator, the claw picks it up and goes right to acmag and drops the ball. It doesn't activate acmag, it just returns the ball to play. Whats up with that?

#835 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I also found this out last night after having almost whole dang thing together!

#836 6 years ago

Finally got mine together today, but it's having some weird problems with the elevator. Sometimes the ball goes in there and then it just sits. If I go into switch test it says the elevator hold is registering properly and it's a new opto... Also occasionally when the claw is lit I'll shoot the ball in and the claw will just move it to the acmag lane without letting me control it or giving me control of the claw? Always works fine and passes the claw test, no errors

Anyone seen either of these?

#837 6 years ago

I've seen the ball go right to acmag and am still seeking a solution to that. It's happened a couple times lately. I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has any ideas.

#838 6 years ago

So after the crane gets to the ascmag lane can you move it to the lane you want then drop it ? Mine always goes to the the ascmag lane first .

#839 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I've seen the ball go right to acmag and am still seeking a solution to that. It's happened a couple times lately. I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has any ideas.

It could be a bug. What version of the ROM are you running?

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So after the crane gets to the ascmag lane can you move it to the lane you want then drop it ? Mine always goes to the the ascmag lane first .

Mine does this when the claw is working, but sometimes it won't give the "x awards left for demolition time", won't play the claw music, just picks up the ball, moves to acmag, and drops it. "claw ready" stays on, and if I just shoot it up the right ramp again it'll work fine. It basically acts like the claw isn't lit and a ball falls in the elevator somehow, except the claw is lit.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's bouncing so hard into the elavator it's getting past the opto for a second before settling and somehow that messes the game up, so I'm going to try some deadening foam next...

I'm on LX-4

To be very precise, from my testing:
When the ball gets into the elevator, if "claw ready is unlit", the game just picks up the ball and drops it in acmag, and seems to assume it was an airball or something.
If "claw ready" is kit, the game treats it as a successful right ramp shot and awards you a combo (if kit), then displays "x awards remaining till demolition time", picks the ball up, displays the claw instructions and timer, turns off "claw ready" and lets you drop it for an award. Usually it seems to also move to acmag before letting you take control, but I'm not sure if it always does this?

On mine, if it gets to the point of showing the "x awards" message then everything works fine, but sometimes even when claw ready is kit it acts like it isn't lit, doesn't register a ramp shot, and just removes the ball.

As another note, all this behavior seems to be independent of the right ramp entrance switch or the diverter actually being open or not.

#841 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine does this when the claw is working, but sometimes it won't give the "x awards left for demolition time", won't play the claw music, just picks up the ball, moves to acmag, and drops it. "claw ready" stays on, and if I just shoot it up the right ramp again it'll work fine. It basically acts like the claw isn't lit and a ball falls in the elevator somehow, except the claw is lit.
Only thing I can think of is maybe it's bouncing so hard into the elavator it's getting past the opto for a second before settling and somehow that messes the game up, so I'm going to try some deadening foam next...
I'm on LX-4
To be very precise, from my testing:
When the ball gets into the elevator, if "claw ready is unlit", the game just picks up the ball and drops it in acmag, and seems to assume it was an airball or something.
If "claw ready" is kit, the game treats it as a successful right ramp shot and awards you a combo (if kit), then displays "x awards remaining till demolition time", picks the ball up, displays the claw instructions and timer, turns off "claw ready" and lets you drop it for an award. Usually it seems to also move to acmag before letting you take control, but I'm not sure if it always does this?
On mine, if it gets to the point of showing the "x awards" message then everything works fine, but sometimes even when claw ready is kit it acts like it isn't lit, doesn't register a ramp shot, and just removes the ball.
As another note, all this behavior seems to be independent of the right ramp entrance switch or the diverter actually being open or not.

Mine has done this as well on occasion. Is there possibly a way to adjust the optos to fix it? Mine happens so rarely that it really isn’t worth digging in to. Maybe twice in over a hundred games.

#842 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Mine has done this as well on occasion. Is there possibly a way to adjust the optos to fix it? Mine happens so rarely that it really isn’t worth digging in to. Maybe twice in over a hundred games.

Mine happens about 1/3 of the time. I haven't seen any adjustment to any of the optos

#843 6 years ago

Mine always goes to acmag first ( when claw is lit) then i can choose my drop of choice. FYI

#844 6 years ago

Mine always goes to acmag by itself if you let it, but if you push the buttons during that travel you take over.

#845 6 years ago

hey guys, did a full flipper rebuild and they are working great, but I have a question about the CORRECT COILS.

Operator and Owners Manual have conflicting info regarding FL-11630 references in some tables and diagrams and yet FL-11629 in other pages in the manuals.

Seeing as the right ramp is pretty steep, how should this game play? My PF is at 6 degrees and the right ramp is a beast!

I can only crest it if the ball comes down from the left inlane OR there is some redirection of inertia. If i am cradling the ball with the left flipper, i usually get about 3/4 the way up the ramp and its a 75% down the drain.

I know that ramps are supposed to be the challenge and its high-risk/high reward, so is this setup right? or should that right ramp be able to be hit anytime with that left flipper?

#846 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

hey guys, did a full flipper rebuild and they are working great, but I have a question about the CORRECT COILS.
Operator and Owners Manual have conflicting info regarding FL-11630 references in some tables and diagrams and yet FL-11629 in other pages in the manuals.
Seeing as the right ramp is pretty steep, how should this game play? My PF is at 6 degrees and the right ramp is a beast!
I can only crest it if the ball comes down from the left inlane OR there is some redirection of inertia. If i am cradling the ball with the left flipper, i usually get about 3/4 the way up the ramp and its a 75% down the drain.
I know that ramps are supposed to be the challenge and its high-risk/high reward, so is this setup right? or should that right ramp be able to be hit anytime with that left flipper?

Mine flies around the right ramp at 7.5 degree incline with the FL-11629s specified in the solenoid table. Technically there's no way to tell for sure which one is correct (although a friend with a HUO's DM plays similar to mine so I assume it has FL-11629s) so I always err with whatever of the coils in question is stronger

#847 6 years ago

You should be able to hit the right ramp from a cradle no problem. If you can't, your flipper is weak.

#848 6 years ago

Hey guys! So something odd is happening with my DM (sigh) once in a while a ball will fall into the elevator, the claw will move to grab the ball, the magnet will pick up the ball from the elevator but I cannot move the claw using the triggers, the timer will time out, the magnet will drop back the ball into the elevator shaft and nothing. the machine will go into "ball search" but the claw nor the elevator will move. the DMD will be stuck on the "use the triggers to move the claw" with 0 seconds left. I have to turn off and on the machine for the elevator to push out the ball. During tests, the claw and elevator runs fine, left-right-up-down, no errors.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

~ja

#849 6 years ago

Seems to me that in this forum the answer is usually optos, optos, and optos. Oh wait, maybe that was the Judge Dredd forum...!?

#850 6 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Seems to me that in this forum the answer is usually optos, optos, and optos. Oh wait, maybe that was the Judge Dredd forum...!?

If optos... from the elevator?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Machine - For Sale
Wheaton-glenmont, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 11.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
4,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Port Charlotte, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels
Interactive
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 81.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
4,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only/page/17?hl=mymalibu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.