Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Smurrill1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I just finished shopping my demo man yesterday and upon turning the game on before starting a game the elevator was raising and lowering over and over, the claw would pivot over to the right and then the left as if to pick up a ball and drop it on the left wireform. I disabled the claw and started a game just to test other stuff out. Everything else was working fine on the machine. Tuned machine off and reseated the connectors under the playfield to the elevator motor and cleaned ALL the optos while I was at it. Next time I turn the machine on the back and front troughs (the right side of PF) are popping as if to clear balls over and over and I cant even start a game. The test mode says claw disabled and elevator broken but nothing about switches. When in single switch test the trough and elevator optops register as closed only (the car crash ones seem to be working fine still). I cant find any broken wires (yet) and I cant figure out why the machine wont even let me start a game now. When its turned on and booted the machine just sits there popping the troughs over and over. Ive looked up some info on optos but Im no expert and Id like to know where to start looking to fix this. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

bump

#3 10 years ago

OK, all of the opto switches require 12volt power to operate.

The opto emitters are on all of the time so they are Normally Closed, and when the infrared beam is broken (usually blocked by a ball) the switch is Open (opposite of most leaf and microswitches, OK?)

It sounds like all of your optos have stopped working at once.

Go to the manual and look at the Switch Matrix page

Throw the game into Tests - switch edge tests. This test will show you if switches are working correctly, opening and closing. You test an opto switch by passing something (ball or finger or pen) between the emitter and the receiver and seeing if it resisters in test

You can also use Switch Level Test, which steps through all of the Closed switches in the matrix. ALL opto switches should show up as Closed unless there is a ball in front of them, e.g. the trough optos if the balls are there.

If all of your opto switches are non-responsive, look at the Opto Board(s) under the playfield - they should have a red LED on if they are getting power.

If they are dead, check the 12v test point on the power driver board in the backbox.

RussMyers

Post edited by RussMyers: Meant switch level test for 2nd part

#4 10 years ago

Thanks Russ will do!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 72.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-opto-trough-errors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.