(Topic ID: 283959)

Demolition man not booting

By DrChrys

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello all. I have a strange problem that appears on my Demo man pinball. I replaced the ROM from Px-3 version to Lx-4. Then the game does not want to boot... I have the 2 leds at D19 and D21 working continuous on. The strangest thing is that this only appear if I put the backglass on. if i take out the backglass and open the panel to the backbox, the game boots like it should. I replaced all ribbons with working ones from another game but I still get the same thing. Anyone have any ideas of what to try next? This is the first time that I replace the software but the chip have the notch on the right side, I even reinstalled it.... no bent pins.. but still the same problem. Probably it is just a simple fix but clearly it is above my level. Thanks for the help.

#2 3 years ago

after another 30 tries I got the same error once with the backpanel door open. also i am almost sure that i got the same error once or twice with the old ROM... I thought the fuse from the video board was blown but the fuse was good and now when I did some more thinking I think the game was actually not booting (I did not looked for D20 then), so this is good news and I hope the new ROM is good.

#3 3 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Power-On_LEDs_and_Sound_Tones_.28Bongs.29

If this is only happening when you install the backglass then the backglass is pulling on a cable somewhere.

Can you put your phone inside, recording and watch the video later to maybe see what is getting pinched or pulled?

#4 3 years ago

I replaced the CPU board with another one from Fish tales and I still have the same problem. Also from the sticker I have on my board found in my Demo man I see it is a board pulled out from Getaway High speed II.

#5 3 years ago

The strange error become even stranger. even if i let the door open it will not boot if the room is dark. It only start if the light reach the cpu board. I tried the reverse thing like turnong the game on with the backpanel door close but I have the light from a flashlight in the backbox and the game boots now. What the heck is that? I never red anywhere about something like this. It is not a coincidence since it happens all the time. i did more than 100 tries. Can this be a fault chip for the new software? All i hear when I start the game is a bong and D19 and D21 are continuously on.

#6 3 years ago

First of all, undo what you’ve done. That means switch back to Px-3. As you noticed, the chips have a notch. The direction of the notch will be silkscreened in white on the board. Line up the notch according the that picture (not doing that can lead to bad results and bad components).

Seeing you’re able to replace the board, disconnect to bottom connectors (all of them), and test again. If it boots you will get errors about missing optos, and your door switches will not work, but we are debugging, so it’s fine and the cpu will boot without them.

Finally, check your ribbon cables. Make sure they are clean and seated. Check all the connectors on the power board.

I’ve never heard of the whole “flash light or it won’t boot” thing, and I’m fairly well traveled in pinball. So this one is interesting.

#7 3 years ago

I put the old software back and now it boots every time. Probably a problem with my new software Lx-4. Is there any special procedure when replacing the ROM? I replace it twice, once with batteries in the game and once with batteries out and still the same problem with non booting. Do I need to change something else like taking the processor out and put it back again or is there any other button to push when changing ROMs?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from DrChrys:

I put the old software back and now it boots every time.

Glad to hear it!

For your other question, no, there is usually nothing special. With mismatches there would normally be things like messed up sounds, but usually booting. I’m sure you checked if the label was upside down and you went by only the notch. And if so, really it is probably a bad ROM, which is not unheard of.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for your answers. i will order a new lx-4 ROM.

#10 3 years ago

Matt’s Basement Arcade is a great place to get them. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 81.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 37.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.