Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190831_182932 (resized).jpg
20171204_205633 (resized).jpg
20171204_205639 (resized).jpg
demo lamp problem (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello guys, it's my first time having problems with lamps row/line.

On my demolition man the highlighted lamps (in the attached picture) aren't working..
it seems to be clearly a problem with the entire 3rd row and part of the 8th line too.

I have tried changing the diode of the 85 lamp socket (right loop arrow) since it seemed badly colored (see pictures below)and the problem could start from there, but nothing changed..

Any advice on where to look? There is a simple way to test the transistors using a DMM?

Thank you in advance!!

demo lamp problem (resized).jpgdemo lamp problem (resized).jpg
20171204_205639 (resized).jpg20171204_205639 (resized).jpg
20171204_205633 (resized).jpg20171204_205633 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like something wrong with the connectors at the driver board to me.

#3 6 years ago

You mean cracked solder joints?? But why that column is only half off?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

You mean cracked solder joints?? But why that column is only half off?

Half of it is the playfield, half is the cabinet. I think they use different connectors?

The bad row could be another problem but the way the side column is it almost had to be a connector or wiring issue

#5 6 years ago

I Have solved the column problem! The fact that half column worked(the cabinet part) made me suspect of the linking playfield connector! And it was! Simply changing j137 with j138 solved it. Now the column is working except for lamp 83 in the intersection with the non working row checked the red-orange row cable and there is continuity from the backbox to all the lamps under the playfield..changing the j133-j134-j135 doesn't solve anything main suspect is the tip 107 transistor at this point..

3 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

Little update! I have found the time to take out the power board and test the tip102.. it seems to have normal values according to the others and to what pinwiki says also there is continuity between the transistor and the j- 133/134/135 pin 4! Where the problem could be? is it possible that it tests good but it's faulty?

1 year later
#7 4 years ago

Hello to everyone after a long time I'm up again on this never solved problem. I've tested the pinball with another working power board and all the lights works without problem, so the issue must be board related.

I choose to go with a shotgun replacement of the IC involved, since I had already replaced the TIP102 (Q88), so i replaced and socketed U12 and U16. Unfortunately it didn't helped. Still the row remains shut off..

There is less remaining on the Q88 circuit, resistances only..
Anyone can help me understand what else could I do?

20190831_182932 (resized).jpg20190831_182932 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

In my opinion, you are at the point that you need to measure the signal. A logic probe could probably get the job done. Do you see signal activity at U12, pin 8? If you do, does it make it to the base of Q88? If not, is U12, pin 10 stuck low?

#9 4 years ago

I have logic probe but just don't know how to use it

That's why I choose to simply replace the IC with a new couple..strange that it doesn't work yet..

#10 4 years ago

If the parts are the problem, replacing them can work, but it won't help if the board itself is the problem. My AFM, for example, had a cracked trace on the board that caused the entire lamp matrix to stop working when the board got warm. Learning to use your logic probe will take less time than replacing any one of those parts did. Yours may not work exactly like this one, but here's an idea of what you have to learn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-non-working-lamp-rowcolumn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.