• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Phoerber
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello All -

I finally landed a Demo Man after a long time searching. Had a bunch of issues, but I am finally down to the last one: The dreaded "magnet broken" error. Everything else with the Cryoclaw works fine in test, but the magnet actually seems like its dead. I have continuity from the Fliptronics II board to the magnet lugs and it appears to be getting power. However, the magnet will not energize/pick up the ball. The claw cycles left/right several times at power-up and finally gives up after a half dozen tries. Do magnets actually go bad? That would be a first for me! Thanks in advance for any insights! Pete in WA

#2 2 years ago

Disconnect the magnet (wires) and test the resistance across the two magnet wires. Should be at least 3 ohms. If it's open, the magnet is bad.

Magnets rarely go bad. Just a long piece of insulated wire. But it happens.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Disconnect the magnet (wires) and test the resistance across the two magnet wires. Should be at least 3 ohms. If it's open, the magnet is bad.

Thanks brother, on it now.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

99.1 ohms, so not the magnet I take it?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Phoerber:

99.1 ohms, so not the magnet I take it?

I believe that's going to be too high of resistance. Should be somewhere between 3 - 20 ohms. If a new one is available, I'd try a new one.

#6 2 years ago

AM UPDATE: So this morning after checking continuity (board voltages being good) from the board to the magnet, for gits and shiggles I decided to throw a ball in the elevator cradle and fire the game back up. On the second pass, the magnet picked the ball up and dropped it at the completion of the left arm swing. The claw kept going though and after 6 passes, called it quits and threw the magnet broken credit dot. So, obviously its not the magnet, and whatever indicates the magnet is good isn't registering.

PM UPDATE: The ultimate culprit was the Elevator Hold opto pair. I took the elevator assy off (piece of cake/4 screws), with the hardest thing being getting the opto pair connector back down through the playfield. What made this quite bizarre was that particular opto switch was error'ing intermittently, and not knowing the logic of how the elevator worked made it less obvious for me than say someone who owned the game previously.

Bottom line, if you have a bad opto at SW. 74 (ELEVATOR HOLD) the game will throw a Magnet Broken error. Again: The magnet was fine, and now everything works as it should.

I also highly recommend re-flowing all the connections on the board at the bottom of the Elevator assembly. And while your at it, get rid of the Z connector.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 81.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 11.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
4,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-magnet-broken-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.