Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by avenger
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a Demolition Man that has some locked on coils. As soon as the game boots up the right Pop Bumper and the Diverter lock on. The Tip 102's measured fine but I replaced them anyways. I put the driver board into my Terminator 2 and same result so I know the problem is on the driver board. I had a light issue also so basically I replaced every one of the big caps and bridge rectifiers. I also replaced all 5 74ls374 chips. Same thing. Tested the pre driver 2n5401 and resistors and diode related to each transistor and they test ok. Any help is appreciated. Going bonkers here

#2 8 years ago

I've had pre-drivers test good but still replaced them and that solved my issue.
good luck

#3 8 years ago

Just put I. New 2n5401. Same result. Don't know what else is even in the circuit that I could check at this point.

#4 8 years ago

Sounds like a short in that driver circuit somewhere, are all the coils in that circuit locking on or just the two mentioned? Any bridging solder pads for the headers or on any previously replaced components?

#5 8 years ago

Are you sure the pop bumper isn't a switch issue? I'm not familiar enough with the game to know if the diverter is switch controlled, but if it is check that switch also.

This would be a good time to learn how to troubleshoot a circuit. If you've got a meter and know how to use it you can be walked through where to test.

#6 8 years ago

I went back and replace U4 and U5 because I had put chips in there that I wasn't sure were new. Put I. New chips and now the pop bumper is Ok. Diverter is still locking on. I narrowed it down to transistor Q46 because the Diverter coil has a high and low. Replaced Q46 and the prescriber 2n5401. Still locking on. Double triple and quadruple checked my soldering work on the new chips and the new transistors. Resistors an diode in the circuit are good. Any chance this is a CPU issue? I didn't think there was a switch that controlled the Diverter.

#7 8 years ago

I'm having the same exact issue on my White Water. After replacing a couple components already, I decided to buy all the components for the driver circuit from Digikey and replace the whole thing.

Have you replaced the TIP36C yet? Have you checked the wiring for a short? On mine when the coils locked on, I notice my diode burn up a little. I'll be replacing it, but maybe that's an issue on yours as well?

Good luck.

#8 8 years ago

Would be odd since it did the same thing in your t2.. Have you tried it again in the t2 after doing the additional work?

#9 8 years ago

I got it finally. When you look at the switch matrix in the manual, nothing says "Diverter" so I assumed it wasn't controlled by a playfield switch. Went through the playfield switches and one switch at a ramp entrance was stuck closed. Fixed the switch and the seas have parted!!!!
Big thanks to everyone for your help. Much appreciated!!
This is my favorite game and it was driving me nuts!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 85.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 72.95
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-locked-on-coils-driving-me-nuts-help?hl=mack505 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.