(Topic ID: 245091)

Demolition Man *hand drawn* alternative translite - Completed!

By hassanchop

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by qbass187
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

582705F6-2B7F-48D1-9C53-971B16DF7BAB (resized).jpeg
20191005_181619 (resized).jpg
20190926_214555 (resized).jpg
20190926_214004 (resized).jpg
20190926_213947 (resized).jpg
20190926_213940 (resized).jpg
20190926_133001 (resized).jpg
IMG_3989 (resized).JPG
IMG_3996 (resized).JPG
IMG_3979 (resized).JPG
IMG_3981 (resized).JPG
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
dm 2 (resized).jpg
dm 1 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-09 at 10.48.47 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2935 (resized).JPG
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

Awesome! I’m in for one when done!

#52 4 years ago

Forgot to mention something that maybe it's important. Will try to explain the best way that I can with my almost perfect English

What you are seeing on these previews has the mid tones and shadows only. (except the fire that was made directly with color)
I just take out the mid tone layer for you guys to get a better feel of the drawing. But all the lighting is not yet made.
I usually make the main architecture first, called the wireframe. It's the foundation of the drawing, the black lines that define the volumes. But in this case I wanted to try something different: I wanted to make these black lines at the same time as the mid tones and shadows. And then do the lights after. (the way to go is always shadows first and light after, but the wireframe is done before all of this)
I always like to try new stuff when I make a new project. Makes me learn and evolve much more.
So, here is the art that is made, where there is no light (except the fire):

values copy (resized).jpgvalues copy (resized).jpg

#53 4 years ago

I am certainly no artist and I am definitely not criticizing your work. I think you do an awesome job, but there is something just not right about Stallone's face that is bothering me. I think maybe not elongated or oval enough and his upper lip is a bit too fat/thick. I think the chin needs to be more downward/pointed and not so squared. The drawing looks more like he does now (after having some work done) rather than he did back then. I would not have even mentioned it if you had not redone Sandra Bullock's face. I don't think the first version even looked like her but you totally nailed it with the new version. So that being said, you are the expert, so feel free to ignore me, especially if no one else feels that way. I'm sure I will be buying one either way. Thanks for what you are doing! Keep up the great work!

#54 4 years ago

Was hoping to see Sandra with the sex machine on her head and a nice O face!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from action76:

you are the expert, so feel free to ignore me

hahahha No I don't ignore any comments.
I read everything and pay close attention to every critic. Some of them are things I agree, some of them not.

As for Stallone's face, you are right. You can see that it's Stallone (this is my first goal lol) but it's not perfect. This is what happens when you are not an illustrator god. hahahaha
His face is very weird and different from the average person. He has the most weirdest eyes, his upper lip seems pointed to the moon, his chin is way too much too the back into the neck. This makes my task very hard because I can't draw 100% accurately lol. I don't think many illustrators can though . As long as it looks like him it's ok.
He has a pretty nose... which is something that I managed to totally screw up hahahaha

I was already making improvements on his face before you made the comment

#56 4 years ago

Done a lot of stuff these last few days.
Here is the wip - mid tones and shadows only (except the fire):

dm copy (resized).jpgdm copy (resized).jpg

demolition man alternate translite 2 copy (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 2 copy (resized).jpg

demolition man alternate translite 1 copy (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 1 copy (resized).jpg

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Done a lot of stuff these last few days.
Here is the wip - mid tones and shadows only (except the fire):
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Snipes and Stallone look great!

#58 4 years ago

the new stallone is really well done!

#59 4 years ago

New Stallone looks a lot better! I liked Sandras eyes better in your first one though where she is looking more towards the center at the player. I have a few buddies who own this game and your work is outstanding. Great job!

#60 4 years ago

WOW! You nailed Stallone that time. Awesome job!

#61 4 years ago

Looking really good Fed! That Stallone is absolutely perfect! Love it.

I like Sandra Bullock better as well but i do agree with the poster above she has more impact if she was looking directly at the player like she was before.

#62 4 years ago

Wow, the new faces are fantastic!

#63 4 years ago

something seems off with Stallone's ears? They don't seem level. Is that what his ears really look like in real life though I have no idea?

#64 4 years ago

I made her look to the front to match the guys that are looking at their "target", to try to balance things a little.
If she looks at the player she will be the only one but I will revert it to see if it remains balanced.

#65 4 years ago

A few colors and lights in:
(you see some blue reflections on Spartan's face because the background will be blue with lights and stuff..)

dm copy (resized).jpgdm copy (resized).jpg

demolition man alternate translite 2 copy (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 2 copy (resized).jpg

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

A few colors and lights in:
(you see some blue reflections on Spartan's face because the background will be blue with lights and stuff..)
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Sly looks fucking slick! I should get one of these for an led translite frame!

Great work!

#67 4 years ago

Take my money now!

#68 4 years ago

I didn't think demolition man would lend itself as well as the walking dead did to a hand drawn style, but man, was I wrong. This is turning out amazing! Great work so far hassanchop

#69 4 years ago

Thanks for all the words! It means a lot to me!
I am also very happy with the direction that this is going and I can now say with confidence that it will be a blast when it’s done.

#70 4 years ago

A few more details in:
Do you guys continue to feel that Lenina should be looking at the player like this?:
dm1 (resized).jpgdm1 (resized).jpg

demolition man alternate translite 2 (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 2 (resized).jpg

#71 4 years ago

Here with the tones that the background will have, you can get a better feel of what the whole thing will look like:

dm2 (resized).jpgdm2 (resized).jpg

demolition man alternate translite 2 (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 2 (resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned but we will be able to buy these from you? It rocks so far.

#73 4 years ago

YES ^ I bought the TWD one he made.

20190615_161656 (resized).jpg20190615_161656 (resized).jpg
#74 4 years ago

How much are these?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

YES ^ I bought the TWD one he made.[quoted image]

Wow, that looks great. Did not know you did a few of these. Wow.

#76 4 years ago

Count me in for one when its done fantastic!

#77 4 years ago

My local producer/distributor can only make quality translites for Stern/DE's type translites. They are not good enough for Williams's games because these have a different effect on the light that goes through.
So I will get another producer that makes these with the best quality I have ever seen.

If anyone doesn't want to keep looking at this topic to know when it's available, just pm me your email and I will let you know when the time comes.
Anyway, I am aiming for September.

#78 4 years ago

A few more colors in:
It looks almost done, but I still have a lot of stuff to do, like integrations, more lights, background, adjustments, print test, etc etc...

dm v5 (resized).jpgdm v5 (resized).jpg

#79 4 years ago

Flashers positions look ok

flahsers (resized).jpgflahsers (resized).jpg

#80 4 years ago

are you going to hide 3 seashells in the art?

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

are you going to hide 3 seashells in the art?

Haha no I don’t think so

#82 4 years ago

All characters done

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

All characters done
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#84 4 years ago

As nice as it is, the best thing is how it just looks so right with the rest of the cabinet artwork.

#85 4 years ago

I have to admit, at first I was a little skeptical about the direction you were going with this.
In the end it turned out really well.
Nice job.

#86 4 years ago

Looks great

#87 4 years ago

Sandra should look hot, almost looks like she is headless.

#88 4 years ago

Looks excellent - the only feedback I have is that the text of the title doesn't stand out much

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Sandra should look hot, almost looks like she is headless.

I think it looks great but perhaps you mean Bodyless not headless? The body could use a bit more definition. Not sure how you get her to look hot? This is as hot as it’s get from demolition man... is it really that far off?

A60488E8-7D95-4325-8FA3-A639043E7BB8 (resized).jpegA60488E8-7D95-4325-8FA3-A639043E7BB8 (resized).jpeg
#90 4 years ago

Maybe text bigger, end to end, behind their heads? Looks good!

#91 4 years ago

Love love love my Demo Man, but the translite art sucks. Would love to get alternate art for it.

87591046-F0C0-40D4-8DEC-802935C4B8F6 (resized).jpeg87591046-F0C0-40D4-8DEC-802935C4B8F6 (resized).jpeg
#92 4 years ago

The text is exactly on the same spot as the original, to match the flashers, and because I always thought it was the best thing of the translite lol
Putting it behind Spartan looks weird. Made a test for you guys to see, but it will get back to the front in the end:

demolition man alternate translite 1 (resized).jpgdemolition man alternate translite 1 (resized).jpg

The way it is like semi transparent is for the art to stand out more. the artist of the original translite also made it semi transparent.
Here is a test with it at 100%. IMO it takes too much of the spotlight of the rest of the art:

I still have a lot of stuff to do and to test on the background so you never know how it will look in the end..

#93 4 years ago

The only thing I am not a fan of is Sandra's facial expression. Shading does not look right IMO. She should look more like the photo above.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

The only thing I am not a fan of is Sandra's facial expression. Shading does not look right IMO. She should look more like the photo above.

I agree, if you showed someone just the Snipes or Stallone they would easily be able to identify them. But if you showed someone Bullock, I'm not sure most people would know it is her. I wonder if a picture of he smiling would work better. When I think of her in the movie, I picture her happy not really serious or threatening at all. Even on the original translite she has a smirk on her face. Other than that, I love this this whole thing.

Also, I agree with the text behind Stallone's head. In front seems off.

#95 4 years ago

+3

As an owner of your TWD translite, I’m a huge fan. This one looks great also, but I agree about Sandra Bullock. She looks kind of cat-like.

Sly and Wesley look great, though, and I love the colors. Nice job!

#96 4 years ago

Sandra has a stiffy

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Kind of agree on this one...

#98 4 years ago

A few more details and stuff done..
The original idea in my head was to integrate the main characters with ice. Like they are coming from the ice. Made a test that looked good and will move to the final drawing in no time.

dm2 (resized).jpgdm2 (resized).jpg

#99 4 years ago

Looks great Fed !!!!!

#100 4 years ago

Fed! Cmon now you can’t make this one better than Walking Dead! Seriously this looks amazing. DM owners have got to be stoked to get one of these.

Value of used DM just went up $1000US with this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 72.95
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-hand-drawn-alternative-translite-wip/page/2?hl=stuckey_t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.