• Latest reply 3 years ago by Astill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9260 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Hi all. This is my first machine. I only have a few issues. I'll keep this post to a single topic. My lower left playfield GI is completely out and a single strand of lighting in the back box is out.

So far I have:

- replaced connectors (IDC)
- reflowed solder on the back of J120 and J121

The back box light string went on when IDC was freshly replaced but is quickly intermittent to mostly out again. I've taken some sandpaper to the pins too. When I wiggle the plug I can kind of get them on. When I swap J120 and J121 I have the same problem. If it was the pins or solder on the board I would not have expected the problem to be identical when swapping, but it is. Which leads me to think it's the IDC still somehow or perhaps the wire is broken inside the plastic casing? But wiggling the plug can resolve so... I don't know what to do.

The playfield GI (lower left) is just completely out. I have traced the line to bulb elements and do not see any issues. Swapping the plugs has no effect. Bulbs are good and I tested by swapping them to the right side of lower and they work fine.

My instinct is I need to remove the pins (what is that part called?) directly from board and re-install J120 and J121. I guess moving wires around in a new IDC could isolate the problem? I'm not sure exactly how to proceed.

I'm also attaching an image of my soldering. I'm a NOVICE, remember, so 1) go easy but also 2) am I in over my head? I'm sure I'll get better and do a lot of handy stuff in life but I'm not that good at soldering yet. I had a real bum tool (it was cordless electric) but have switched to a more standard temperature regulated quality corded iron and it's going better. That said, critique me, it doesn't look great. :/

IMG_9260 (resized).JPGIMG_9260 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from swayzewaters:

I've taken some sandpaper to the pins too. When I wiggle the plug I can kind of get them on.

Not good. Replace them. size .156 - https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Wiggle hints to poor solder joints or a loss of through board continuity.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not good. Replace them. size .156 - https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/
Wiggle hints to poor solder joints or a loss of through board continuity.
LTG : )

I will accept my failing grade. They're 11-pin. I'll have to read how to remove the solder while also keeping the board intact. I'm terrified of burning the board or fusing the areas.

If you have any tips on why my soldering is meh let me know. I see brown spots for sure. The new iron is much better. When I remove the plug I will practice on it off the board.

#5 3 years ago

Buy a desoldering station. If you plan do do work on boards you need proper tools. You do not want to patch the lack of continuity from one side of the board to the other. Also whatever you replace verify all those traces with the schematics that you have continuity. Also remember that the hardest part is not the soldering one but the desoldering.

#6 3 years ago

check continuity to the fuses. The male pins have hole through solder that gets damaged when you pull out the pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 40.00
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 81.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-gi-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.