• Latest reply 4 years ago by DFitz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A941593D-95E0-4077-964C-BA434310B7A7 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I have a Demolition Man issue that I'm hoping someone has seen or can hone in on the clues...the elevator mostly will only move in 1/4 inch increments, the mech is not binding, and once in a while (a couple weeks ago now) it'd run round and round smooth as silk for me. As long as you keep pressing the test button, in 1/4 inch increments, it'll eventually go round and round (run elevator) or go to the park elevator position. In game mode ball search the elevator moves in 1/4 inch increments when the ball is stuck on the elevator. The two optos test normally/correctly with a ball or when the "park" flag on the arm gets to the right position. At the end of each 1/4" move the power to the motor also ends.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from DFitz:

I have a Demolition Man issue that I'm hoping someone has seen or can hone in on the clues...the elevator mostly will only move in 1/4 inch increments, the mech is not binding, and once in a while (a couple weeks ago now) it'd run round and round smooth as silk for me. As long as you keep pressing the test button, in 1/4 inch increments, it'll eventually go round and round (run elevator) or go to the park elevator position. In game mode ball search the elevator moves in 1/4 inch increments when the ball is stuck on the elevator. The two optos test normally/correctly with a ball or when the "park" flag on the arm gets to the right position. At the end of each 1/4" move the power to the motor also ends.

Did you try doing a factory reset in the game menus?

#3 4 years ago

At the base of the cryoclaw assembly, there are some solder joints that should get reflowed. This is a very common issue on this game.

#4 4 years ago

Oops, it’s late, and I misread... your elevator is having issues.... has the elevator assembly been cleaned?

#5 4 years ago

The elevator assembly is clean and looks like it's ready for surgery. The optos have been cleaned and test normally/correctly. To check off the question I'll do a factory reset to see if there's any difference in behavior and post the result when we get back from a Christmas trip today. Thanks, keep it coming!

#6 4 years ago

I just had this exact problem. What fixed mine was that I had to disassemble the elevator and clean and lube the elevator slides and elevator arm pivot joints. On mine, I also found the elevator mounting bracket was slightly bent. I had to tweak it straight again. I also resoldered the connections on the elevator motor. After doing all that my elevator moves very smooth and is whisper quiet. Hope this helps.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Uncle___rico:

I just had this exact problem. What fixed mine was that I had to disassemble the elevator and clean and lube the elevator slides and elevator arm pivot joints. On mine, I also found the elevator mounting bracket was slightly bent. I had to tweak it straight again. I also resoldered the connections on the elevator motor. After doing all that my elevator moves very smooth and is whisper quiet. Hope this helps.

What was your choice for lube on the elevator slides?

#8 4 years ago

I used a thin yellow grease that we use to lube electric motor splines where I work. I am unsure of the exact type of grease but it may be moly based.

I did see that Permatex makes small tubes of white lithium grease that should be good for the slides and pivot bushings on the elevator. Maybe someone else on here may be able to chime in on a good grease to use, but I would say a thinner grease would be best.

#9 4 years ago

I would suggest SuperLube. You can get it at Harbor Freight.

A941593D-95E0-4077-964C-BA434310B7A7 (resized).pngA941593D-95E0-4077-964C-BA434310B7A7 (resized).png
1 week later
#10 4 years ago

What was your choice for lube on the elevator slides?

I confess that my cleaning and oiling (using electric hobby motor assembly oil) stated above was without taking the elevator off the machine. When the CPU chose to run the elevator, it did run smooth, quiet, with no apparent binding. But, not being too stubborn, I heeded your advice, removed the elevator from the machine, disassembled it completely, cleaned using automotive Brake Parts Cleaner, ran strips of cloth soaked in Brake Kleen through the brass bushings, and rebuilt it using MikeO's lube suggestion everywhere. Lo and behold, that lowering of friction slightly, there must be current sensing feedback, because now the CPU will run the elevator. 10 games in and in test it's still working. Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-elevator-only-moves-in-increments and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.