Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4717 (resized).jpg
IMG_4718 (resized).jpg
IMG_4706 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello,

I have an issue with my DM claw, more specifically with the magnet.

Basically, the claw and magnet are only working as intended when dropping the ball above the right hole (Chase Simon). If I position the claw above any other hole further to the left and use one of the button dropping the ball, the sequence ends on the DMD, claw stays still for about 1 second, then moves slightly left and finally drops the ball a split second later (resulting in the ball not dropping in the intended exit). The issue happens regardless of the input method (right/left top buttons or ball launch).

You can see the problem in these videos I shot yesterday: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13bsUepQNYA9qGOFxUJ3CDkbOwElPb98N

Here's what I checked so far:

- All switches and optos related to the claw register properly in Claw test mode
- All trigger buttons register properly in switch test
- Claw moves freely from right to left and left to right, both during a game and in Claw test mode
- Checked F901 fuse, it wasn't blown and at the right value. As I wasn't 100% sure it was a slow-blow, I still went ahead and replaced it with a new one. No change.
- Checked J907 and J902, they visually look OK. Unplugged and plugged them back on. No change.
- Magnet wiring doesn't seem backward after comparing with pictures from other DM owners with perfectly working magnets

Possible leads:

- What looked like the most likely culprit: the previous owner already did something to the claw as the wires aren't the original ones (see pictures attached). In order to rule out possible bad soldering or an issue with the molex connector, I tried connecting both ends with a terminal strip. No change.
- Left flipper opto PCB is missing, replaced with a leaf switch by the previous owner. Everything registers fine in test mode though (flipper switch and EOS). I doubt it's coming from there but I'm mentioning it just in case

What really puzzles me is that everything works perfectly for one hole (Chase Simon, furthest one to the right) but not for the others. "Chase Simon" is the first and furthest hole to the right, so having the claw further to the left must be causing trouble. How? I have no idea.

Any idea?

Thanks for the help!

IMG_4706 (resized).jpgIMG_4706 (resized).jpgIMG_4717 (resized).jpgIMG_4717 (resized).jpgIMG_4718 (resized).jpgIMG_4718 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Weekend bump!

1 year later
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Hello,
I have an issue with my DM claw, more specifically with the magnet.
Basically, the claw and magnet are only working as intended when dropping the ball above the right hole (Chase Simon). If I position the claw above any other hole further to the left and use one of the button dropping the ball, the sequence ends on the DMD, claw stays still for about 1 second, then moves slightly left and finally drops the ball a split second later (resulting in the ball not dropping in the intended exit). The issue happens regardless of the input method (right/left top buttons or ball launch).
You can see the problem in these videos I shot yesterday: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13bsUepQNYA9qGOFxUJ3CDkbOwElPb98N
Here's what I checked so far:
- All switches and optos related to the claw register properly in Claw test mode
- All trigger buttons register properly in switch test
- Claw moves freely from right to left and left to right, both during a game and in Claw test mode
- Checked F901 fuse, it wasn't blown and at the right value. As I wasn't 100% sure it was a slow-blow, I still went ahead and replaced it with a new one. No change.
- Checked J907 and J902, they visually look OK. Unplugged and plugged them back on. No change.
- Magnet wiring doesn't seem backward after comparing with pictures from other DM owners with perfectly working magnets
Possible leads:
- What looked like the most likely culprit: the previous owner already did something to the claw as the wires aren't the original ones (see pictures attached). In order to rule out possible bad soldering or an issue with the molex connector, I tried connecting both ends with a terminal strip. No change.
- Left flipper opto PCB is missing, replaced with a leaf switch by the previous owner. Everything registers fine in test mode though (flipper switch and EOS). I doubt it's coming from there but I'm mentioning it just in case
What really puzzles me is that everything works perfectly for one hole (Chase Simon, furthest one to the right) but not for the others. "Chase Simon" is the first and furthest hole to the right, so having the claw further to the left must be causing trouble. How? I have no idea.
Any idea?
Thanks for the help![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you ever figure this out?. Mine is acting same (and I did replace with new carbon steel balls..as they need change anyways). I'm will begin my trouble shooting now as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-claw-magnet-acting-up-at-ball-release and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.