Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dir-sw_alternative2.jpg
DM2_(resized).jpg
J205_menu-button.gif
20160704_130423_(resized).jpg
DM1_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Fiber armature broke on the left sling plunger a couple days ago. Took off the broken parts/spring to avoid a 50V Ground Short and blow up U20.

Pin still plays great without the left sling kicking until parts arrive.

However, I can't enter into pin settings at all by pressing the button on the coin door.
Volume Up/Down won't work either. Not getting any credit dots on power on either.

What could have made me loose all control to the settings like that. Game will play absolutely perfect otherwise.

Thanks in advance for anything I can try to fix this.

#2 7 years ago

Maybe you knocked loose some connectors from the coin door that plug into the little board on the left of the door? I'd start there... Must be something simple.

#3 7 years ago

Battery damage on cpu ?

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

No battery acid damage. I did take a pic of this interconnect board. It got some black goo on it from somewhere but I pulled off the connector to inspect and I don't think it's the culprit.

DM1_(resized).jpgDM1_(resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

The black goo may be some marking done using a permanent marker, to indicate what connector goes where.

You could try to trigger the switches directly on the CPU board. I think its J205 that goes from the cpu to the coin door interface.
Try triggering the switches using a spare diode or wire. If it does not work then probably the direct switch circuit on the cpu board is bad.
See page 3-3 in the manual.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Battery damage on cpu ?
LTG : )

Or chip U19 on the cpu board is bad. Or worse, a trace *underneath* U19 is bad.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

The black goo may be some marking done using a permanent marker, to indicate what connector goes where.
You could try to trigger the switches directly on the CPU board. I think its J205 that goes from the cpu to the coin door interface.
Try triggering the switches using a spare diode or wire. If it does not work then probably the direct switch circuit on the cpu board is bad.
See page 3-3 in the manual.

I had this same problem before with my ST:TNG. It all comes back now how I tested that too by what you are saying about testing J205 on the CPU board. I just need to look up which pin I short to gnd or another pin, correct?

#8 7 years ago

Ground wire needs to be on the coin mech ... it breaks off easily trust me .... ive spent hours trying to figure y the switches weren't working before lol.20160704_130423_(resized).jpg20160704_130423_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I just need to look up which pin I short to gnd or another pin, correct?

J205_menu-button.gifJ205_menu-button.gif

#10 7 years ago

Well, here was the issue (see pic). Soldered wire together and applied heat shrink tubing over repair.
Also did best to make sure wires don't get slammed/cut in door again!

DM2_(resized).jpgDM2_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

That's quite an impressive training graphic, zaza!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ground wire needs to be on the coin mech ... it breaks off easily trust me .... ive spent hours trying to figure y the switches weren't working before lol.

Never noticed that I was essentially scissoring the ground wire on mine every time I was shutting the coin door until one day it cut thru.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

That's quite an impressive training graphic, zaza!

Yes, always handy to use this method to find out in what direction to search. From here you know it is either the wiring/buttons or the CPU-board.

Not to long ago I was asked to put a Demolition-Man on freeplay but leaking batteries had destroyed some traces of the direct switches around U16 inputs.
Here I had still the possibility to 'ground' the exits of U16 and could still change the settings in the machine. (U15 was next option)
The CPU-board was soon to be replaced for a P-ROC version of DM on Steroids but till that time it was playable.

dir-sw_alternative2.jpgdir-sw_alternative2.jpg

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ground wire needs to be on the coin mech ... it breaks off easily trust me .... ive spent hours trying to figure y the switches weren't working before lol.

Quoted from CUJO:

Never noticed that I was essentially scissoring the ground wire on mine every time I was shutting the coin door until one day it cut thru.

Yep i figured thst wire was the issue .... glad to help and your good to go again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 37.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-cant-enter-system-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.