Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Yuckster
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My Demolition Man started blowing the line fuse. When I power it on, all four flippers engage and hold for a couple of seconds and the main fuse blows. If I power it on with the coin door open, it boots and then works fine after closing the door.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Yuckster:

My Demolition Man started blowing the line fuse. When I power it on, all four flippers engage and hold for a couple of seconds and the main fuse blows.

So you are powering up with coin door open when this happens? That is how I'm reading this because of you saying this-

Quoted from Yuckster:

If I power it on with the coin door closed, it boots and then works fine after closing the door.

Or on the second statement you mean open the closed.
I'm thinking you may have a interlock switch on coin door that wires are pinching or shorting out.
Time to find schematics and see if it's plausible.
-Mike

#3 4 years ago

Sorry, I mistyped. It only happens when the coin door is closed. If I boot it with the coin door open, it works fine.

#4 4 years ago

If I close the coin door after it boots, it works fine, no blown fuses.

#5 4 years ago

This has an interlock switch on coin door?
Thinking you would then need to check that and every circuit it opens (high voltage for coils)
-Mike

#6 4 years ago

The game functions correctly if I close the coin door after it boots. But if the coin door is closed when the machine is powered on, it fires all four flippers and holds them for a couple of seconds until the fuse blows. I don’t believe that the fuse blowing is directly related to either the coin door switch or the flippers, because I can hold both flipper buttons in-game and it works fine, and everything else works properly once a game is started.

It seems to be something that happens during the boot process/initial power-up that causes the main fuse to blow when it is powered on with the coin door closed.

I've done a diode test on the bridge rectifier in the fliptronics board, which seems fine, and replaced the ribbon cable, with no change. I had thought that replacing the ribbon cable fixed it, but it just happened to be that that was the first time that I powered it on with the coin door open.

I was going to replace the varistor, but after opening the power switch box, I found no line filter in it (which is where the I thought the varistor would be). Is there a varistor and line filter somewhere else in the machine that I haven’t found?

#7 4 years ago

often times in the field a tech might come across a shorted varister and just remove it and never get back to replacing it....i suggest you put in a varister because it might save your game one day......also try disconnecting the fliptronic board and see if the fuse blowing stops......

#8 4 years ago

I removed the thermistor a while back because the game was resetting right before a party, and I didn’t have a replacement at the time. I have ordered a bunch of them and am going to replace it, but don’t think that will solve my current (no pun intended) problem. The varistor could be an issue, but as I said, I can’t find where one would be in this machine. There was never a line filter or varistor in the power box by the power switch and main fuse.

The game wouldn’t boot with the fliptronics board disconnected, but I can try it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.50
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 81.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-blowing-main-fuse?hl=startek2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.