Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01_plated_through_hole (resized).jpg
04_jumper_wires (resized).jpg
03_jumper_wires (resized).jpg
02_jumper_wires (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello Pinheads. First of all, thank you to any and all who contribute to this thread in any way. My Demolition Man started slowly acting weird before it finally stopped fully booting. First the display started acting wacky and intermittent. Then the machine would turn off and reset. Now it attempts to boot but doesn't all the way. I get the initial "ping" and then nothing but a few playfield lights that come on and a few on the display.

After reading the threads, visually inspecting components and going through the pinwiki page suggestions, I visually inspected all the boards, tested all my fuses, reseated all the connectors, measured the voltages at the test points on the MPU and found them okay, except the 50V test point (it acts open, not grounded). After closer inspection, it looks like BR5 may have some leakage or damage. As a "since I'm doing one, I may as well do them all" precaution, I will be replacing all the bridge rectifiers and high capacitance caps this weekend. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I take it to my guy and spend a few hundred bucks on repair. Thank you again in advance.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRue:

As a "since I'm doing one, I may as well do them all" precaution, I will be replacing all the bridge rectifiers and high capacitance caps this weekend.

You should only replace what is necessary by testing for failure. "Shotgun" replacing components has the potential to cause more damage than fixing actual problems.

The problem with the radial snap in capacitors is the ease of pulling the plated through hole when removing the component. It is easy to do. That results in requiring a repair that may be an eyelet, stitch or the fugly jumper wire.

"Measure twice (or more) and cut once". Be absolutely sure you want to risk the potential of damage without any demonstrable gain.

01_plated_through_hole (resized).jpg01_plated_through_hole (resized).jpg02_jumper_wires (resized).jpg02_jumper_wires (resized).jpg03_jumper_wires (resized).jpg03_jumper_wires (resized).jpg04_jumper_wires (resized).jpg04_jumper_wires (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct and make a very good point. The last thig I want to do is pull the cap via's. Thank you for the heads up.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRue:

You are absolutely correct and make a very good point. The last thig I want to do is pull the cap via's. Thank you for the heads up.

You are most welcome.

This https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-lamp-matrix-not-working is what happens when you shotgun replace all the bridge rectifiers and radial snap in capacitors unnecessarily. A pulled through hole or two without realizing it. Why do I know this? I've seen it (and had to repair it) - plenty of times before.

#5 3 years ago

Looks like all the diodes in the bridge rectifier are good as well as all the 15uF caps. I found a blown F112 fuse (which I didn't catch until after I pulled the board) so fingers crossed that is the fix. Upon inspection, I also found some cold solder joints from previous rework that may be contributing to the intermittent game play. (Before the fuse blew). Thank you for your help. So glad I didn't have to replace any components..... Yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 81.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-50v-test-point and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.