Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
Demo Sound Error

Letter received on Monday May 8th 2017.

Monday May 8th 2017

Hi Lloyd,

I'm getting the "Sound Board Interface Error" on my Demolition Man. Sound board is A-16917-50028. The sound still worked, but had what I describe as a slightly "watery/wobbly" tone to it. I replaced cables. I replaced rom chips with new ones (to get the swear sound bytes), same issue.

To isolate the issue I swapped the sound board with the sound board in my Dirty Harry - A-16917-50030, and the error went away.

I put the DM sound board in the Dirty Harry, and got the "Sound Board Interface Error" so pretty sure its that sound board.

Swapped all the rom chips on each board (DM chips to the 50030 board, DH chips to the 50028 board), and now neither machine produces the error. I expect the error to come back on the Dirty Harry, but we'll see.

If it does come back, what needs to be repaired? I checked the solder joints with a magnifying glass, they all look quite good.

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Snipes

Hi Mr. Snipes

Sounds like a weak solder joint on something you messed with. Connectors or chips. Your pushing them may have corrected it, if it returns I'd start there.

Thank you,

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-sound-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.