(Topic ID: 231528)

Demo pins bought from Marco pinball and what to expect.

By PinBallPeteFromSD

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpetefromsd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So back in March at the Museum of pinball's Arcade Expo we bought 23 demo pins from Marco pinball. Yes 23. It was pretty cool having 22 friends ripping into new machines. It was like Christmas morning for us.
How the demo deal works is. We prepay a discounted price to let Marco's demo the game to the 1000s of people attending the Arcade Expo. Once the event ends we get to take the machines home.
About a week after getting our game home. I say our because I went in partners on a machine because I am poor. So after a week my buddy noticed 2 inserts raising on the force inserts.
So he contacted Marcos. Marcos then sent the issue to Stern. Stern then told us the machine's serial number had been flagged as "floor model" and they are 100% as-is.
So then Marcos steps back in and says they will take care of it asking us not to go to social media. They then agree to send a new unpopulated playfield after they review photos.
So every month or so we send a message to Marcos about the status. Some times they response. Sometime's they say be patient.
Is 8 months of patient long?
And there solution was a unpopulated Pf. Leaving us with the work of swapping everything.
We always thought that solution sucked but accepted it because it was better then nothing. We are now realize we are getting nothing.

We gave up on Marcos and will now only buy from local distribution.
This was written as a warning, ask for a written warrenty and by local.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I was under the assumption that show machines still came with warranty....

As per Stern email all documented. Stern warranty ends when the demo period ends. So for us Sunday after 3 days of public play. Then Marcos claims to pick it up for 30 days.
What good is a warranty if it does not really cover anything?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I would have thought the same thing. But is seems in this day and age everyone is trying to get out of doing the right thing. Sadly customer service has because a thing of the past in most cases. I think that is what has impressed me the most when reading about JJP.
I'll never own a new pin but I know if I were to be buying a new pin it wouldn't be a Stern. Nothing against Gary or the company he has built but their customer service doesn't seem to come anywhere close to JJP and some of the other smaller companies. Yes they can crank out a lot more machines but without support what is the point of buying from the "big guy"?

100% correct. JJP and Spooky are way more responsive and take care of you an minutes not months of chasing.
My buddy bought a dialed in with a few small issues and I bought a TNA with a few quirks. Both companies took care of the issues that day. Spooky was crazy fast and efficient.
This is less a Stern issue and more a Marcos promise not kept.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

This is disappointing. Being able to offer a show discount to our guests and having them available for play is a big draw. I hope Marco follows through and gets this right for you (and doesn't take another 8 months to do it.)
All of us who offer this program to our guests are going to be watching this closely

Thanks Cheddar, I am looking forward to heading your way in a few months. GSPF can not get here fast enough. You coming down to INDISC?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow, 23 pins? that's what, like a 100 thousand Dollars worth of pins and they can't cover a $500 replacement pf? That's not good business.

My thoughts exactly, I doubt they are gonna sell half that at next year's expo. I am sure a local distributer would love this amount of business. (Evan)

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can we see pics of the PF? That's a big piece of the puzzle missing out. No offense intended but some people have demanded new PF's for very minor PF imperfections while others have had major issues. Just curious how bad it is and if that is playing into the factor here.

The ball bounced over the spot. And Marco saw pictures and agreed it was a major issue and said they will make it right.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

He bought 1/2 a pin, not 23 pins.

My group bought 23 pins and yes I went in as a partner. Does that change the fact of what Marcos promised?
The guy and I that went in partners had a plan to buy each other out when we raised a little more money after we sold off some pins. So how is it fair for me to sell my half to him or vice versa. That would leave on of use holding the bag on a bad PF.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Another commenter inferred that you were a $100k+ customer, which if true I agree would merit "special" treatment, but that's not the case. Sounds like a bunch of show attendees bought a combined 23 pins in lots of separate transactions.
To respond to your question, when you buy a pin 50/50 with another guy you're both in it for better or worse. Same goes with buying anything 50/50. Fairness doesn't factor in. You're dealing with the "or worse" scenario.
Sorry I'm not being as supportive of the rest here, but framing the narrative like you're a volume customer when you're not, and smearing Marco when you promised not to, isn't winning my sympathy at all.
Regardless, if Marco promised you a replacement pf then you should get one. And your wait is not unusual. Like I said, getting a replacement pf from Stern can take a long time. Marco is likely waiting on Stern.

the 23 pins were bought by us, a private group of techs that this was offered to. So yes we bought 23. Not the public.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpetefromsd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-pins-bought-from-marco-pinball-and-what-to-expect-?tu=pinballpetefromsd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.