• Demolition Man 17 votes
    18%
  • Judge Dredd 39 votes
    41%
  • Road Show 38 votes
    40%

(94 votes)

#1 8 years ago

What is your favorite of these three wide-bodies? And why?

What is your order of preference? Do guests favor one over the other?

After much debating, i'd like to get one of these 3 pins for my next machine, but I can't decide. I like all 3 themes.

#2 8 years ago

Demo man is really great, the combos, and all the ramps and wireform are world class. The music and call outs are just ok to me. But I still love the game. I don't play it for score, I just play it to complete modes and acquire multi-ball, if you get one, upgrade the flipper coils to some that are slightly stronger.

Judge dredd, I sold mine, and bought it back 6 months later... Turns out I really missed the music. I like that there's no pop bumpers, I really like the challenge of the shots in the modes. The multiball is insane to keep a good handle on it for me. I really dislike the 1/8" wider gap between the flippers compared to most games. Sdtm is very common place for me. The art is killer, the dead world mod is IMO the coolest ball lock ever.

Road show, I don't have hours of experience with it, but what I've played, I've enjoyed, the art and colors really pop for me, I like the shots, and just love the look and iconic pinball vibe it radiates. Hopefully one day I'll own one, but until then that's all I can say.

JD is the winner for me of those 3... My DM is over the top beautiful, and gives my Tron LE a run for its money in looks and quality, too bad the demo man sounds are not on par with Tron

#3 8 years ago

Dredd, Roadshow, and DM a distant third

#4 8 years ago

Ive owned them all at the same time and i loved each for different reasons . All are gone now but if i was to get one back i believe it wld be demo man . Its was very fast and loved the flow and ramps .

#5 8 years ago

Roadshow, Dredd and the DemoMan. Now, if I got ahold of the new Demo software package that might change the ratings, as it looks cool as hell from the video.

#6 8 years ago

Dredd is the best of the three. The other two are somewhere under that.

#7 8 years ago

You picked a trio of pretty mediocre games.

I think I'd go with Road Show just because it has the deepest software and enough Lawloresque touches to remind you of better Lawlor games.

Demo probably second because it's fun shooting combos.

Dredd last because while it's got some fun modes, it has a pretty poor layout and a terrible wizard mode.

#8 8 years ago

JD certainly has the best artwork and visual appeal out of the three, but I don't find it terrific from a gameplay perspective, unfortunately.

On the other hand, I keep finding myself wanting to get "just one more game" on DM, but it's not all that visually striking.

RS is alright, but I find the repetitious call-outs grating, and the fact that the first mode is always the same one for every game is also a bit annoying.

#9 8 years ago

Dredd, Demo, RS

#10 8 years ago

RS by miles. Dredd has cool art, mostly clunky shots. Demo is alright.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

...mostly clunky shots....

You must either not play very well, or are playing a poorly tuned example of a Dredd. That's all I can think of.

Dredd is one of the best flowing pins I own.

#12 8 years ago

I don't feel any of these games are anything special. If I had to choose one of these okay titles it would be RS. There are much better wide bodies out there.

#13 8 years ago

#1 Judge Dredd - fun game, lots of shots, good flow, fun theme and great art.
#2 Road Show - fun game too but doesn't hold my interested as well as JD, theme is just so-so. I don't like the linear progression of the modes and the shots feel kind of clunky to me.
#3 Demolition Man - distant third for me. I haven't spent as much time on DM, but the theme doesn't do much for me and I hate the handles on the rails.

#14 8 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input! I know to some these are 'mediocre' games, but I really dig them in different ways and they're each within my budget. Although it seems RS has climbed a little bit.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

RS is alright, but I find the repetitious call-outs grating, and the fact that the first mode is always the same one for every game is also a bit annoying.

Exactly. JD lets you actually select your modes with the fire buttons. I think that adds a lot to the strategy, and really keeps it from being too repetitive.

I voted for DM, but it's basically too close to call for me.

#16 8 years ago

if you go with JD, you MUST restore the deadworld to the original functionality.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You must either not play very well, or are playing a poorly tuned example of a Dredd. That's all I can think of.

JD does feel clunky if you aren't hitting your shots. Many times missed shots with the upper right flipper will dribble back down and flirt with going SDTM.

If you are hitting your shots it does have a lot of flow as it's mostly ramp shots anyway.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'm above average. The upper left flipper ramp shots are clunky unless hit absolutely square. The whole cluster. Also, the left shooter lane kick back doesn't really do anyhing in code. The captive balls don't really do anything either, except one hurry up mode. I owned a very nice dredd. Good game for $2k(1400). RS is better, and it is reflected in price.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

JD certainly has the best artwork and visual appeal out of the three, but I don't find it terrific from a gameplay perspective, unfortunately.
On the other hand, I keep finding myself wanting to get "just one more game" on DM, but it's not all that visually striking.

Just so you know the first mode on RS is not always the same. As you progress through the modes you usually have a choice between 2 or 3 of them...

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

#1 Judge Dredd - fun game, lots of shots, good flow, fun theme and great art.
#2 Road Show - fun game too but doesn't hold my interested as well as JD, theme is just so-so. I don't like the linear progression of the modes and the shots feel kind of clunky to me.
#3 Demolition Man - distant third for me. I haven't spent as much time on DM, but the theme doesn't do much for me and I hate the handles on the rails.

My list is exactly opposite

#1 - Demo Man - I've had it for years, and still love it. It is a straightforward game with fun shots. As long as the flippers are good and... shockingly in my house... LEDs. The game can just pop done up right. Some of the combos just get you in the zone of smooth shooting, and the "wizard"ish modes are fun. I like the point structure, and overall I love the game.

#2 - Road Show - You will hear lots of complaints. They can come from the linear nature of the game, not seeing certain aspects of it unless you get deep. Truth is it was designed to not be finished in one game. They wanted you to buy in and keep going. The shots can be a little odd, but they are nice. So overall a very decent game.

#17 - Judge Dredd - I will openly admit that Judge Dredd is one of the few games I hate. When I owned it, I just couldn't wait to get rid of it. To me, the game just felt like a mess. I have played pristine restored copies, I've played friends copies, and I owned it. And the game just plays horrible to me. Not the "hey I got slapped, let me try again" kind of horrible, I just didn't enjoy it. Even playing with others never gave me any love for it. I bought it because I had heard for years that it was a great pairing next to Demo Man, but yuck. I'm not insulting the game, because I know it has its fans. I'm glad they enjoy it. I didn't.

And don't worry about he "mediocre game" stuff. They can be fun times. Not every game needs to be an A lister. Otherwise, why have a list.

#21 8 years ago

The only knock I have against Road Show is that it's linear, but even out of these 3 it's not even the most linear, DM is. Road Show is freaking packed, it would be an $8500 game if it was released today. I love almost everything about that game. DM would be #2 for me, JD #3.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Just so you know the first mode on RS is not always the same. As you progress through the modes you usually have a choice between 2 or 3 of them...

I *always* start with the taxi driver mode. If there's a way to change that, I'm all ears.

#23 8 years ago

These are all very good games and are all excellent bangs for your buck. Mediocre? No way. That lad must have really high standards....

#24 8 years ago

Owned all three...some of them multiple times.

1. Judge Dredd -- best theme, best art, best layout, most challenging. Easily better than the other two.

2. Road Show -- lots of stuff in there in terms of toys, theme is just so-so, shots not very challenging. Long ball times which I don't like, but does have the software to make the long games at least kind of interesting.

3. Demo Man -- worst theme, worst art, nice flow but game gets old quickly as not much to do and flaws in software.

#25 8 years ago

Not sure what you're talking about with regards to the upper left flipper ramp shots. there is only one 'ramp' shot, which leads directly to the left shooter kickback lane. The other major shot is the big loop. Smooth as silk to hit 3-6 times in a row, if you're quick.

Quoted from Msch:

. Also, the left shooter lane kick back doesn't really do anyhing in code.

This is incorrect. Air Raid?

Quoted from Msch:

The captive balls don't really do anything either, except one hurry up mode.

This is incorrect. It is also a bonus multiplier, and you can light extra ball if you hit the top captive ball target enough times.

Quoted from Msch:

I owned a very nice dredd. Good game for $2k(1400). RS is better, and it is reflected in price.

I turned down a really nice RS for 1600. I don't care for that game. Different strokes, right?

#26 8 years ago

RS by a lot, and I'm not a big fan of it.

#27 8 years ago

Just hit the pops or one of the colored targets on left side. They will change the lit mode. Spring Break is worth a lot more than taxi mode and so its worth not plunging the skill shot right off the start.

On another note, these games need LEDs to make them pop. DM is especially gorgeous with bright blues behind ramps!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I *always* start with the taxi mode. If there's a way to change that, I'm all ears.

Attach this to my previous post

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

JD does feel clunky if you aren't hitting your shots.

I'd contend that every pin will feel clunky if you're not hitting your shots. What specific pins flow well when you're missing the shots? I can't think of any....

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'd contend that every pin will feel clunky if you're not hitting your shots. What specific pins flow well when you're missing the shots? I can't think of any....

Maybe clunky isn't the best word for it. Unforgiving? It definitely rewards the skilled player.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I *always* start with the taxi driver mode. If there's a way to change that, I'm all ears.

Its either NYC or Miami to start. Pop bumpers change it. If the rules were re-written to not have the game start in either of those locales, it would be a lot better.

#32 8 years ago

All 3 games are far above mediocre, in my opinion. In fact, I think they're all great games.

Road Show tops this list for me. Love its layout, storyline software and happy theme.

Judge Dredd (with Deadworld lock) is a good second to me. In theme, it's about the direct opposite of RS. Very dark, very hardcore. Lovely shot layout as well.

Denolition Man loses this battle in my book. This one has a great layout, immersive gameplay and an awesome sound package. But the dated theme and ugly translite artwork make it a third on this list for me.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Demo man is really great, the combos, and all the ramps and wireform are world class. The music and call outs are just ok to me. But I still love the game. I don't play it for score, I just play it to complete modes and acquire multi-ball, if you get one, upgrade the flipper coils to some that are slightly stronger.
Judge dredd, I sold mine, and bought it back 6 months later... Turns out I really missed the music. I like that there's no pop bumpers, I really like the challenge of the shots in the modes. The multiball is insane to keep a good handle on it for me. I really dislike the 1/8" wider gap between the flippers compared to most games. Sdtm is very common place for me. The art is killer, the dead world mod is IMO the coolest ball lock ever.
Road show, I don't have hours of experience with it, but what I've played, I've enjoyed, the art and colors really pop for me, I like the shots, and just love the look and iconic pinball vibe it radiates. Hopefully one day I'll own one, but until then that's all I can say.
JD is the winner for me of those 3... My DM is over the top beautiful, and gives my Tron LE a run for its money in looks and quality, too bad the demo man sounds are not on par with Tron

Have you considered converting your Demo Man to Demo Man on Steroids? The new code, animations, sounds, music, call outs, etc are cool as hell. When paired with the already excellent Demo Man layout it's a great package. I was lucky enough to grab one a couple months ago that was already converted and I'm totally enamored with it. Fortunately, it came with the alternate DMOS translite as well. The original translite is not a looker.

#34 8 years ago

1.Demo man is my favorite of these 3. Handles are cool, gives this game a unique feel. I also enjoy the rules with the lock freezes and combo focused. Best flow of the 3 games.

2.Judge Dredd #2 for me. Ok game, with tons to do. I like fast games and this one has never really grabbed my attention much. There is some fun to be had here tho.

3.Road Show is 3rd. Great playfield design ruined by linear code. After a month you will not want to turn it on in fear of hearing the taxi driver again. Really a shame as the design is amazing.

#35 8 years ago

I haven't owned DM myself so haven't played enough to be intimately familiar with it like I have RS and JD.

I much preferred RS to JD. I no longer own either (can't afford to keep games, I have to sell to get a new one in my collection) but I'd buy RS back but happily not see JD in my collection again.

JD has amazing artwork and really good attention to detail in the modes, music and sound effects. It is an interesting layout but I agree with the common assessment that it is clunky. The upper right flipper is horrendous for shooting the sniper tower, it just wasn't designed very well. The Air Raid shot is practically impossible to hit. The kickback is weak.

RS on the other hand has much more satisfying shots, combos and a better multiball. The music and theme isn't as attractive as JD but the classic Lawlor gameplay and modes are excellent. The linearity is the biggest issue, that's for sure, but it was still a pleasure to play. The shaker motor is really relevant to the theme too, and it's a beast.

I always find it interesting when people complain about RS being repetitive with Taxi Driver being the first mode. The same people don't complain about TAF always starting with Hit Cousin It or Mamushka. The sound for those modes are way more annoying than Taxi Driver. I know you can launch into the bumpers on TAF to start a different mode (just as you can start RS with Spring Break if you shoot the bumpers) but it is a risky shot and you eschew a skill shot so nobody wants to do it (on either game).

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

The upper left flipper is horrendous for shooting the sniper tower, it just wasn't designed very well. The Air Raid shot is practically impossible to hit. The kickback is weak.

The upper left flipper was not intended to hit the sniper tower. The reason it's horrendous is because it's impossible.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The upper left flipper was not intended to hit the sniper tower. The reason it's horrendous is because it's impossible.

Haha, good call, I confused my lefts and rights. I mean the upper right mini-flipper.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Haha, good call, I confused my lefts and rights. I mean the upper right mini-flipper.

The mini flipper will hit it just fine, if you start from a trap. It's hard to hit on the fly, for sure....

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The mini flipper will hit it just fine, if you start from a trap. It's hard to hit on the fly, for sure....

Trapping on that mini flipper is pretty rare, typically either the kickback sends it up there or a carom off the drops will send it up there, or any other missed shot up there (common) will allow you an on-the-fly flail shot with the mini flipper and those shots are rarely successful. It's just not designed that well, the ball rattles and bricks out of that sniper tower really frequently, even from the lower left flipper. The way the entrance to the sniper tower lane narrows seemed to me to be a poor design, and not at all shaped to accept shots from the mini flipper.

Perhaps you're right, that different examples of JD might play this shot differently. Could be pitch, wax, flipper strength/alignment/rubber.

There's just something about JD where the general timing and feel of many of the shots feel 'off'. This assessment has merit because it is a common refrain that the game feels clunky. I put it down to the widebody format because non other Trudeau games I've played are clunky like JD.

#40 8 years ago

I tend to hit sniper tower from the lower left flipper. I don't have it brick out of the lane from that flipper very often. One of my favorite combos in the game is hitting the sniper tower three times in a row from the lower left flipper. Once to start the mode, once to finish it, and one more time to collect the award again. It's a very satisfying long shot with a great sound when nailed.

I've had two JD's, and both have played about the same once dialed in. It has become one of my top 3 favorite games.

#41 8 years ago

Agreed, starting the Sniper mode via the sniper tower is a must! Love hitting him twice and getting the dog to piss on his body. JD has to be the funniest game I've played I reckon.

Perhaps I shouldn't try to shoot the sniper tower when the ball is near the mini flipper. But letting it roll down from there can be rather dangerous. The problem is that it's the only viable shot up that way to get the ball down to the bottom of the playfield in a safe and controlled manner, but it just doesn't work very often. Every other shot keeps the ball up there.

#42 8 years ago

Opinions are going to be all over the place for these three. I've owned all three and still have RS

Personally, I'd list them: RS, DM, and JD.

Starting from least to best.

JD. Great layout that is under utilized. You can zip past all the modes by focusing on MB, complete the Judges and get the wizard mode. The modes themselves don't give enough points and you can only use 2x multiplier once (if I recall correctly), so the game is a bit like chopping wood. It's fun for awhile, but eventually I'm happy to see it go.

DM. I would like to get another DM sometime. Fun game. Easy to get to the wizard mode, but the MBs are really fun.

RS. I love this game. Sold one to get a better one. It's got a ton of modes, great MB, and you can really work up the score by hitting the ramps to work up your bonus multiplier. Fantastic layout with satisfying shots. It's one of the best values in pinball right now. Love it.

Good luck!

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

you can really work up the score by hitting the ramps to work up your bonus multiplier.

This was my favourite thing to do. Crank the Bridge Out combos to max multiplier and earn the extra ball. The Bridge Out diverted to Blast Zone combo is one of the most fun combos ever. The way the ball diverts from behind the right ramp all the way around to the mini flipper is genius.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 81.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-vs-judge-dredd-vs-road-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.