(Topic ID: 95528)

Demo man Start button doesnt work: possible WPC cpu Switch matrix/U18?

By demetris74

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Phetishboy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

233239.jpg
Capture.JPG
238828-i.gif
#1 9 years ago

Hi guys

I am now restoring the Demo man, and the start button doesn't work, Have test the wpc cpu on my other pin and still the same, so i have exclude the button problem or other wiring problem

What i now suspect its a WPC CPU board problem have checked the manual and its J212 cabinet switches plug on the wpc board, I checked all continuity to the corresponding connections and everything is ok.

What can be the problem? does anyone know the exact j212 Pin that is responsible for the start button to be sure and check again? From the below diagram U18 is controlling j212 can this be the problem?

238828-i.gif238828-i.gif
#2 9 years ago

put it in switch test , if it works in test , disable the claw and start a game.

#3 9 years ago

Had same problem my claw will work the first time .Then it dosent move back then to the left it moves over to pick the ball up again and thats it.If you take the glass off get the ball put it back in the game it will not start another game.Everything works perfect in test mode including start button.I have the claw disabled and it works fine.Im going to try to figure it out this weekend.

#4 9 years ago

The start button is part of the switch matrix. If there's a board problem then an entire row, or column, in the switch matrix would be out. First thing I would do is check the other switches in the same row and column as the start button. The switch matrix diagram in the manual will help you identify the switches.

#5 9 years ago

I happen to have a Dredd manual next to the computer here. Let's see. In the same row (white/orange) is:

Ticket Dispenser (probably not installed), Left Rollover, Outside Right Return, Captive Ball 2, Left Ramp to Lock (opto), Left Popper (opto), Trough 3.

In the same column (green/brown) is:

Left Fire Button, Right Fire Button, Plumb Bob Tilt, Left Shooter Lane, Left Outlane, Left Return Lane, and 3-Bank Targets

If all these work in test, but the Start Button doesn't, make sure you have all the plugs plugged in on your MPU board. Also, make sure no wires have pulled loose from them.

#6 9 years ago

Hi Guys

Complete Column 3 is out, so it this case I am looking for replacing U18? or as per diagram will also check at J209-3 on wpc board for any line breakage? white/orange cable should be ok as i checked the cpu on another pin and same problem

Thanks for guiding me so far

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#7 9 years ago

Actually, that's row3 and on u18. Cols are controlled by the more-often-failing u20. You tested this row via jumper wire method from pinwiki?

#8 9 years ago

Hi mark

Yes you are right row3 non of this work, how can i jumper wire test ?

#9 9 years ago

Actually, this is one of the easiest tests there is.

Pull all the switch plugs off the bottom of the cpu after putting the game in switch edges test mode.

Now take a jumper wire, connect to column 1, and touch to all 8 rows.

Now take same jumper wire, connect to row 1, and touch all 8 columns.

The correct switch should show closed for each test.

If it shows good, you have a broken wire under the playfield.

#10 9 years ago

Lits

Please are you able to show me in any kind of diagram the column and row plugs on wpc cpu? sorry completely noob on this

#11 9 years ago

This is really easy.

Look at the bottom of your cpu.

Three sets of pin headers, left center, and right.

The left-hand headers are for your cabinet "direct" switches (the coin door buttons, and coin switches) and the other "in cabinet" switches, namely the start button, tilt bob, and slam tilt.

The center headers are wired the same ... all are the column drives.

The right headers are also all wired the same ... all are the row returns.

The way the switch matrix works is, the game sets each column drive, one after the other, column 1 through 8, from "high" to "low" ... or +12 to ground.

The row returns (and indeed, any other switch input including flipper buttons and direct switches) are simply sitting there looking for the input to be connected to ground.

The "matrix" is simply an arrangement of switches, with diodes, such that each column "activates" a set of 8 switches, and any closed switch, the ground signal from the column goes through the switch (and its diode), back into the row return input. The game then reads the signal, and knows the swtitch state for that column's switches.

Then it activates the next column, then the next column, lather rinse/repeat in an endless loop.

So ... for this test, you want to use the coin door buttons to put the game into "switch edges" test mode.

Then unplug all the plugs from the bottom of the cpu -- this ensures nothing is connected to any switch inputs.

Now touch a jumper wire to pin 1 on the center set of headers, the switch columns.

Touch the other end to pin 1 on the right-side set of headers, the row inputs.

You should see the appropriate switch (11) show on the display.

Now move to pin 2 of the right-side set of headers, all the way to the last pin.

Then do the same procedure, but go from pin 1 on the right side headers, to each pin on the center headers.

In this manner, you are testing each and every possibility of row/column.

This would eliminate the CPU as the issue, if it passes.

#12 9 years ago

Hey Litz

thanks for the detailed description,

What would be nice its a photo just how to jumper is the only part i dint get. i have understand more or less the rest ) my little English dont help me much.

#13 9 years ago

Jumper is just a wire to connect the pins of the CPU together. You can use an alligator clip lead it's it allows you to lock the jumper in place as you move the other end of the wire.

Marc

#14 9 years ago

It's pretty hard to get an alligator clip on those small .100 pins though.

Literally, take a short piece of wire, strip 1/2 inch or so of the insulation on each end.

Touch one end to one pin, touch the other end to the other pin, look at display, see if switch shows as closed.

#15 9 years ago

Use a wire, paper clip, whatever. This is all on pinwiki

#16 9 years ago

so i jumper connect from column drives to - right (Red) Switch rows and then to the left (blue) Direct switch inputs on each pin to ensure activation of switch?

just want to know from where to where to jumper

233239.jpg233239.jpg
#17 9 years ago

No, you're not touching anything on the direct switches inputs at all.

going by your picture, using ONE jumper, pin 1 of J206, then touch to pins 1 through 9 of J208.

the pin 2 of J206 to pins 1 through 9 of J208. Repeat for 3 through 9.

Then pin 1 of J208 to pins 1 through 9 of J206. Repeat for pins 2 through 9.

#18 9 years ago

All clear now thanks a lot,

So in my case i have problem with (start button) wich is at row 3, if i find a complete row 3 inactive on this test so this might be a U20 IC problem, as this is a complete row 3 failure correct? Then i have to replace the U20?

If i have no failures on this test then i discard WPC CPU problem.

#19 9 years ago

U20 is the col chip. U18 handles rows.

#20 9 years ago

Well, let's see what the test shows, then go from there.

#21 9 years ago

Let me jump in here and ask, did you check the MPU for battery corrosion? I had a FT that would not start either, it turned out to be the battery had leaked acid on a chip below the pack.

#22 9 years ago

The there is no battery corrosion also checked all continuity from the switch headers to the u18 and u20 and are fine,

will do now the jumper test and update

#23 9 years ago

guys

Done the jumper test entire row 3 is out so i assume u18 replacement?

#24 9 years ago

Before you replace U18, check the resistors and diodes associated with the Row 3 input.

There's also a LM339 prior to U18.

This is where you need to be able to read a schematic of the circuit.

1 week later
#25 9 years ago

I have a very similar problem with my Demo Man. My start button works, but 50% of the time my launch and right thumb button won't work. What's even stranger, is that sometimes when this happens, the right trigger button will launch the ball when pulled. In the switch test, the launch and right thumb switches show as closed on the diagram and do nothing when pushed. If I let the machine sit in switch test for a while, sometimes while I am staring at the diagram they will randomly go open, though I am touching nothing. I assume I should be doing similar jumper testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-start-button-doesnt-work-possible-wpc-cpu-switch-matrixu18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.