(Topic ID: 84423)

Demo Man Pinball restoration Lost my photos!!

By demetris74

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2007 showing rail.jpg
wp_000196.jpg
IMG_4396.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Guys

I have restored the playfield with all the parts removed and now is time to put back together. But I have been stuck

I usually take photos of each step and area when removing all parts so that i know after how to put back together.
Unfortunately i have lost my SD card holding all the step by step photos. This pin is a bit complicated for me so if someone can help or done this to give me some photos of all the playfield parts areas snapshots to get started?
Lower area is easy but upper are i might need some help with!.

Anyone got an idea how to start?

thanks in advance

#2 10 years ago

I can take pics of mine.. but I can't do it until Friday. Hopefully, someone can step in and help you out before that. If not, I could be your last resort.

Good luck!

#3 10 years ago

I saw a youtube video sometime ago, can't remember the title. But maybe this will help :

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/ttaki/library/Demolition%20Man%20restoration?sort=2&page=1

#4 10 years ago

Tamoore Thanks will appreciate some playfield closeups if you have time

Benfica99 thanks a lot for the photos will be very helpfull with some of the playfield photos

Would love some more areas if possible someone?

#5 10 years ago

I'm about to be in the same boat
Just took mine apart to clean and polish. Took a bunch of photos, but looking at that playfield..it is looking scary as to how to put it all back together, and in what order. But I'm sure I'll figure it out. Or post here like you did.
Here are a couple of sites I will be using to help:
http://www.dndw.com/arcadeaddiction/DMPinball.htm

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/ttaki/library/Demolition%20Man%20restoration#/user/ttaki/library/Demolition%20Man%20restoration?sort=2&page=1&_suid=1395148611980025838892917458644

I can send close up photos in a day or 2 if you need them. Make sure you get it all done nicely, as I am going to be using you for advice when I put mine back together. LOL!

Chaos

#6 10 years ago

All COOL

I think i am covered guys thanks a lot for everything will slowly start building back,m all of your info is greatly apreciated and helpfull,

#7 10 years ago

I see the Youtube videos are really good and useful...but they all cover the stripping, and none that I have seen cover the putting back together.
Going to have to watch them in reverse/rewind I think.

Chaos

#8 10 years ago

I just finished mine on Sunday. I can share some of mine if you need them although the link above might be good enough. I personally wished I had taken a lot more pictures while I was tearing it down. Next time I will do a rapid tear down while my wife takes a zillion pictures.

#9 10 years ago

Would be great if someone would just write a list of the order in which you assemble everything. The manual had a sequence to strip the ramps, and even that seemed wrong, and had to go in a different order. But I fear assembling a bunch of stuff and then finding out a part has to go under it all.
No-one has a list saying assemble ramp A first, then the elevator..then X then Y....etc?
The ball guides seem logical, I suspect the problem will come in when assembling elevated switches and components etc. Finding out where the wires trail underneath etc.

labelling the cables is the obvious one. It's the other stuff that may be a hiccup.
But isn't it amazing how much better the playfield looks once you strip it down, and how much dirt sits underneath it all?
I sometimes think that I enjoy cleaning and shopping these things more than playing them, and I only have 2

Chaos

#10 10 years ago

Cue awesome Pinside group effort!

#11 10 years ago

Favoriting (hey, a new word!) this thread in case I can't scare up the right SD card when I get around to putting mine back together!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Favoriting (hey, a new word!) this thread in case I can't scare up the right SD card when I get around to putting mine back together!

Ha, did the same even though havent stripped mine yet but know it will happen.

#13 10 years ago

Taking it apart was no big deal. Remove screws until the pieces are free I personally have a set of 30 colored sharpies. I color the connectors under the playfield for all the switches and lights with a different color marker right after separating them (or you will get wet market all over yourself). I try to use dis-similar colors in each area. I suppose I should use letters but it's hard to write neatly when you are contorting to get in there.

The metal ramps are the hard part in putting it together. The two "feet" that hold up both of the left metal wireform ramps are mounted under the long easily breakable "power freeze" plastic. The power freeze plastic's screws are buried under some other parts that you have to put on first including the Cryoclaw plastic with the switches that also holds up the ramps. I can only guess that's why the power freeze plastic is often broken. I fussed with it for quite a while to get it all together without breaking anything only to learn that the lower metal wireform ramp was too low. A ball would easily get trapped under it. I then took it all back apart and put a spacer (1/4" I think) using a 1 1/4" screw from the bottom of the playfield that I mounted the ramp to. That gave me enough clearance to clear the ball while still giving it enough room to clear the upper ramp. When I was taking it apart initially I forgot there was a "hack" spacer under both ramps but it only needed it under the lower ramp. Took a while to get it back together. Ideally you'd anticipate this and put the post in while everything else is off. Just getting these two wire ramps back on correctly without breaking anything took me a couple hours to complete right.

If someone wants to type up the list of parts, I will order them in the proper order to reassemble them and tips where it makes sense.

1 week later
#14 10 years ago

Hi Guys

Thanks to all for the photos and advice,very helpful. , i am at the process of installing back everything but i seem to stuck on one metal guard. I don't what to leave it back as it might be somewhere i will then need to remove everything again.

Anyone has a clue where this goes?

IMG_4396.JPGIMG_4396.JPG

#15 10 years ago

Next time upload them real-time here so we can cheer ya on and back them up.

#16 10 years ago

interesting, I should know this. wish my DM wasn't in Brek.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Next time upload them real-time here so we can cheer ya on and back them up.

HighProtein sorry i cant translate your meaning, I am not english LOL

#18 10 years ago

I've just assembled my own one after a strip, clean and polish. My first pin I ever took down. It was..interesting. But once we took our time and though things out, along with some good labelling..we managed ok. A couple of times we had to backtrack. But it all went back together and is looking amazing and playing even better. Almost sad it is finished. Now I am going to have to look for another one to do.

Anyways, since mine is fresh in my mind, I can say that I have no idea where that metal guard of yours goes. I didn't see it on mine at all. I thought above the center metal ramp, but that one looks the same size, but is welded on. Not screwed. Do you have one above your ramp? Uploading a pic I got off the net.

It can only be below the playfield, or maybe at the back behind the elevator area, as I didn't strip that.

Anyways, for anyone doing this, it isn't impossible, even for novices. Take it slow, and don't be scared to go backwards and undo stuff to get other stuff fitted properly. Use masking tape to attach each screw to it's part, or screw them back in the holes they came out of. Right ramp first.

The easybreak plastic wasn't so hard. One screw in, swivel it and put in the one screw of the long ramp arm. Then undo that screw, screw in the other one, and swivel it, and put in the other screw. Then install it in place. Does NOT need to be bent at funny angles.

Pics help, but there are enough online to get it sorted. Or ask, and I'll upload some of mine.
Good luck with that pictured part..I have no idea.

Chaos

wp_000196.jpgwp_000196.jpg
#19 10 years ago

Is it not above the center grilled ramp?

#20 10 years ago

yes i have it above then center grilled ramp and is welted, it must go somewhere else?

1 month later
#21 9 years ago
Quoted from demetris74:

Hi Guys
Thanks to all for the photos and advice,very helpful. , i am at the process of installing back everything but i seem to stuck on one metal guard. I don't what to leave it back as it might be somewhere i will then need to remove everything again.
Anyone has a clue where this goes?

It goes to the left of the autoplunge at the shooter lane here:
DSCN2007 showing rail.jpgDSCN2007 showing rail.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Thank you very much, if you dint post i would be damping that guard

#23 9 years ago

No problem. I like to help if I'm able. This post and it's links have been a huge help for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 81.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-pinball-restoration-lost-my-photos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.