10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by conester
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider conester.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just finished restoring a Demo man and I have no power at the flipper opto boards....so naturally my flippers do not work. I checked for 12V at pin 2 on J116 and I have 12V. I have 12 V at the connector #7 at the flipper optic board, but nothing at pin 6 which I think should be 12V also. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong or where I need to look? My WPC schematic is buried right now since I am finishing my basement and everything is stored away. Am I supposed to have 12V at another pin on J116? I swapped fliptronic boards and that didn't do anything....all my fuses are good....not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

#4 10 years ago

Hey Lloyd. I found my WPC schematic and all it told me was that connectors 116, 117, 118 all have the same pin outs....pin #2 on each one has +12V. I have +12V at J116 pin #2. I looked in the DM manual and it looks like the wire at pin #2 on J116 goes to Pin #6 on the left flipper opto board. I thought I might have a bad wire from J116 to the flipper opto board so I made a jumper from J116 pin #2 to pin #6 on the left flipper opto board. turned it on and I didn't have ANY opts after that! ??? connected the wires the way they were initially and the other opto's came back (i.e. trough optos etc).

What opto driver board are you talking about? If it's the 7 opto board under the playfield, it's working fine. I have all other optos on the game. Also, swapped that 7 opto board out for another one and still did the same thing. This shouldn't be this hard....I have to be missing something easy!

#6 10 years ago

Ok, so yes, the connectors are plugged in the right way to the flipper optic boards.

I just checked for power at the #6 pin of the flipper optic board and I have 14V there. Both sides of the cabinet too. So I must have messed up when I measured the first time.

Ok so now I have voltage at the flipper optic boards, but they still don't work! I have Great Lakes Modular optic boards in there and the LED's aren't lighting up...that's how I know something isn't right. I swapped in an old flipper optic board and still got nothing!

So what would cause the flipper optic board to not work if it is getting the power it needs? Maybe the ground isn't good? Would that cause it to not work?? Not too many options left... I mean it's just a freakin flipper optic board for crap sakes!!! Oh the fun we have with these pins!!! haha!

#7 10 years ago

Ok, update for anyone down the road that comes across this.

Had power at the flipper opto boards. 14V
Opto boards still didn't work.
Checked ground at opto board connector - no ground with the gun handles attached.
Removed connectors from gun handles going into flipper opto board circuit.
Plugged flipper opto board connector back in on both sides and BINGO! Flipper opto boards now work!!

I must have screwed something up in the gun handle wiring when I rebuilt them. Now to figure out what is wrong and fix that so the gun handles work too! Half way there!!!

Brian

#8 10 years ago

Ok, final update. Flipper opto boards worked when left gun handle was plugged in, but not when right handle was plugged in. Checked the orange wire (ground) on the right gun handle at Z connector and didn't get continuity. Used a screw driver to push orange wire into connector better and now have ground continuity. Plugged right gun back into Z connector and hooked up to flipper opto board - BINGO!! Working flipper opto boards! Good to go!!!

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider conester.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-no-power-at-flipper-optic-boards?tu=conester and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.