(Topic ID: 218352)

Demo man, lamp matrix shorted to switch matrix... frig, I messed it up...

By trueno92

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by trueno92
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180603-153157 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys. Got column 8 thats pushing my bulbs too bright and tthey arnt completly turning off with all the lamps on that column.

I think I shorted the switch matrix to the bulb matrix when I was reassembling the claw handles - was using led buttons in the handle thumb triggers.

Fuse f114 blew but even after replacing it, now the controlled lamps are pulling 18v instead of 6v along that column. Also in lamp test, some of the lamps say the ball save, end up also lighting the center ramp bulb...

18v is also trigger claw magnet error..

Help?!

#2 5 years ago

Also swapped roms, reset the game but still lamps and claw mag are throwing an error.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

go over your work again and look for any mistakes in the wiring.also look in the manual at the lamp matrix chart and see if they are in the same row

When I was reassembling the handles, I smushed the wires for led power and it shorted against the switch power. Switches seem ok, but the lamps have issues.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

power was on while doing that?

Affirmative.....

Not my finest moment.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

power was on while doing that?

I haven't checked the ic,I was hiping it was a TIP q 91 or a resistor but the tips that control that column look ok....

#10 5 years ago

Going through the lamp test, I see these lamps flash at the same time if I go down column 8, the corresponding lamp on column 1 also lights.

Also,
Left flippers are stuck on when in test mode although the button is not pressed (confirmed in switch test)

Screenshot_20180603-153157 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180603-153157 (resized).png
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

ok,is it the flashers? or the smaller bulbs that are acting up? Flashlamps are controlled by transistors.The chart you outlined is going by column and going across is by row

Just switched bulbs no flashers.

But what's happening is if I try to go thru the lamp test along col 8, the same row lamp will also light in col 1.

Was really hoping its something small but the more I look, the more it doesn't seem that way.

#14 5 years ago

Any idea how this triggers the left flippers on?

#16 5 years ago

K no worries, minor screw up on my part. The flippers on left side locked because the trigger switch on the handle was jammed. I readjusted it and the locked flippers are corrected.

Now back to lamp matrix issues...

#18 5 years ago

Ok I ran a continuity test on j137 pins 1 to 9 and nothing... no pins are shorting on the pcb side.

Hoping it would be the playfield side, I noticed a lot of the lamps here in col 8 and col 1 are not lamps with diodes on them.... they are either lamps in a lit button or on a mounted pcb under the pf...
Hmmm

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

More
ok,this is leading to a problem on the board if j137 pins are not responding.do you have another board on hand?

Ah maybe im not being clear

Since i was having duplicate bulbs being lit in the lamp test, one test was to check for shorting between pins on the harness that control each row..

They seem to checkout ok since there is no continuity, right?

#23 5 years ago

I may have confused you, this was only the ordered lamp test.

Here is a short video showing the duplicate lamps...

#25 5 years ago

I was hovering around q91 last nigbt but ill look closer at q98 later on today. Thanks for some direction!

Does q98 control cabinet swwitch lamps?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You can find more detailed information at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Controlled_Lamp_Problems if you are curious.
It looks like column 8 is lighting up with the corresponding row. This seems pretty classic for a bad TIP107 in your lamp matrix. Almost certainly going to be Q91 according to what you're posted with the lamp matrix diagram. Q98 is incorrect. I didn't fully assess your problem. I just briefly scanned this thread and you mentioned column 1 and column 8. Looking closer at your video it looks like column 8 is stuck on. That's Q91.
Check the transistor. I'll bet it's bad. Even if it reads good it could still be bad but odds are very likely it will read bad.

So I am going to confess that I am really new at testing transistors with a DMM. I was really hoping it was a PF diode, but after looking at all the lamps on Column 1 and Column 8, hardly any are diode controlled. I took a stab last night at the Q91, but I gotta spend a bit more time trying to test it properly. i just tried to get the DMM tips on it and visual inspection looks OK.

The fact you have seen this before, and steering me along a familiar path is giving me a ton of reassurance. My LED DMD just started throwing a line just after this started happening and I just want to button this up and never touch it again!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Visit the pinwiki page. Scroll down a little further to the paragraph titled "Quick Test of Lamp Column Transistors". It will be a continuity test (not a diode test) that you will do on Q91. If the transistor is shorted (continuous) then it's bad. You will need to replace it. I'll bet you a virtual beer that it's shorted.
So this is going to sound conceited but for the most part you can't visually inspect electrical components to verify their functionality. You need a multimeter. I've only ever once visually inspected a transistor and said ... yep that's bad.
All the lamps in the lamp matrix have a diode. They must have a diode. The diode may not be visible as diodes connected to a lamp socket tab. For the most part, the diodes are on the lamp boards.

Ah so this was what I was doing around Q91 last night. Although i was just testing middle leg to the two outer legs, i was testing for continuity... and they checked out with no continuity.. however i did rush it, so i will check again..

For diodes, I couldn't ID any of the ones for the cabinet switches (lit buttons) and all the lit buttons are what are staying on (column

You are totally correct about electrical components and yes I have to get better at testing... of all the 4 games i have repaired, its been a moderate refresh as the boards have been known-good but it turns out my luck has run out!

pinside needs more virtual beer buttons...

#30 5 years ago

oh with that, if TIP107 is bad, what is an equivalent replacement? TIP107 and NTE2344 don't appear to be popular options in..

*gasp*
CANADA............

#33 5 years ago

going to test tonight with the red led on the tab.. i think i had my leads mixed up but i didn't think for continuity it would matter....? does it?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Mixed up leads won't matter with continuity testing, but will matter when using the diode test. You can also compare readings between the transistor in question and other known-good transistors adjacent to it. Sounds like you're on the right track here. Good luck!

Thanks much for the encouraging words.

Would really want to know what caused the line to show up on my red dmd... still in a tizzy about it....

#37 5 years ago

With the driver board still in the backbox, q91 has a value on my dmm, with red on tab and black touching the left leg. Dmm on ohm 2000

My others, q92-q98 don't appear to have any value when doing the same test.

Does this sound like q91 has something wrong?

#39 5 years ago

In switch matrix news, I ran the switch edge test and everything looks to be Good.

So u20 on the mpu seems to be happy.

For the lamp matrix if I run tip42 at 6a instead of tip107 at 8a, will I be ok seeing as this machine will stay led for the rest of its life? Tip42 is a lot easier for me to find locally..

#41 5 years ago

WHOOHOO!

Thanks guys! Swapped out Q91, and she's good.
No switch problems and I must have gotten better at playing since I hit Demotime just to make sure everything is playing correctly - NO SWITCH ISSUES!

NOW, i think i may have missed something else but my Elevator Flasher 1 and Claw Flasher are not going off. All other flashers on the PF are OK. I also noticed that in the FLasher test, the BG flashers that usually go off with the PF flashers are not going off.

I'll check J106 when i get home, but any suggestions? Dumbass, let me know where that VirutalBeer goes via PM!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 72.95
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-lamp-matrix-i-messed-it-up-?tu=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.