(Topic ID: 326104)

Demo man flipper locks on when game is warm...

By drsfmd

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider truemagoo102.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

LTG has it right.
    When this game came out, the plastic flipper button opto interrupt was too... plastic. Replacement white colored interrupts were released, but they had problems with reflections (and transparency?), so the current replacement flipper button opto interrupts are black... the same color as the factory ones that had problems.
    Clean the optos while you are there (I use windex on a q-tip).
    The progression of this problem is that the interrupt doesn't bend... quite... back into position. It stays just barely on the margin of half blocking the opto, and if the game thinks the opto is un-blocked, it activates the flipper. The interesting thing is that this can cause the coil to be partially activating with a little electrical noise, kind of a very low-level buzz, that causes the flipper coils to get hot to the touch without raising the flipper bat.
    A fraction of a degree cooler and the plastic snaps fully back, so the problem goes away when you cut the game off for a moment. It definitely goes away when you open the game to check out what might be causing the problems, because you are releasing trapped heat.
    Now this COULD be a flakey opto on the board, but it is far more likely that replacement interrupts will fix your problem:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9001
    I've only seen this on games that don't have a spring steel piece that helps the opto spring back, so if you have spring steel on both flipper buttons in addition to the plastic interrupt, then I'd suspect the opto boards themselves. LTG's suggestion to swap left to right will show you the path here.

This is all super interesting, and makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

2 weeks later
    #20 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

That's a good question. It's absolutely the hold circuit in the coil, as it lets go as soon as power is cut either by opening the coin door or turning the machine off. The time we tried to get it to lock on while we had the glass off, we couldn't do it (doesn't that figure). I have not tried to leave the flipper in the upright position and play the subsequent balls, but I will give that a try.

To answer your the "subsequent ball" question here- when I played it and it happened to me .... you can play the game with the flipper up and eventually it drops and plays normally - then will lock on again later.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Hold or high power circuits will both keep the flipper up, but if it is the high power side, the coil would get hot very quick.
    If you haven't already, swap the opto boards, as LTG suggest earlier. Doesn't matter that it happens when using only the handles. Flakey opto board can fire flipper any time. Closely inspect right opto board for cracked solder joints on header pins or any other obvious issue.

To clarify, it happens with both flippers and handles.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider truemagoo102.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-flipper-locks-on-when-game-is-warm?tu=truemagoo102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.