4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191010_202707 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MotorCityMatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello,
This one has me stumped. DMD on my Demo man pin went out, no screen at all. Looked at pinwiki and pinball ninja for the common cause. Checked the 47K ohm resistors and R3 was showing .5 ohms, went to the electric store and bought a couple. Same resistor measured 47K ohms on my world cup soccer so this resistor is not in line with the capacitors so you can measure it in circuit. Soldered old one off and new one on. Old resistor measured 47ohms once I pulled it off. New one measured 47ohms before I soldered it on, but now on the board it measures .5 ohms - What could do this? Checked the other transistors, resistors and diode in circuit all measured good. The 62 voltage circuit is the one that is bad.
Thanks for your help!
Matt

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Usually you can't get an accurate reading of components in circuit. You need to at least lift one leg.
Can you try it in a different game ?
Have you measured voltages to the DMD on the big connector, to see if any are low or missing ?
LTG : )

Same resistor measures 47ohms on world cup soccer in circuit. Board from wcs works just fine in DM. Voltage on 62 volt circuit is almost nothing.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You have at minimum the transistor and diode in that part of the circuit that is shorted. Best to do a full HV rebuild of the DMD controller board. Here are the parts needed.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WAN-HVP-KIT

All of those tested good on the mutimeter, only thing I did not test was the capacitors.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If yo do not replace the all the parts in 62v section, it will short again. This is not something you can really measure just one part and replace and expect it to work most times.

Crazy, I did all this testing before I put it back in the game. A shorted component somewhere else would pull the new resistor value down like that?

#10 4 years ago

It is toasty

20191010_202707 (resized).jpg20191010_202707 (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago

Quick update, got her fixed. Did not do the full HV repair for now. Will see how long this fix lasts. This game is in my house so it's not running 24-7. Replaced 2 of the 2N5551 transistors at Q2 and Q10. The ones I took out both measured as bad. Retested the resistor at R3 and that now measured at 47ohms. Put the board in and DMD lights up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 81.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MotorCityMatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-dmd-out?tu=MotorCityMatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.