You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5f8a8920b6b119f5c58825115cd1ca50.jpg
2012-05-25_06-50-07_269.jpg
2012-05-25_07-26-47_930.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I recently shopped out my Demo Man, and have now run into a problem. Upon start up, the CRYOCLAW all it seems to want to do is endlessley turn in a counter-clockwise position. I have taken out the opto-baord and clean with a Q-tip and Alcohol inside. Doesn't seem to help.

1. What can be done to fix this? I have included a picture of the board
2. When I put the board back in, is there a calibration? On the motor, the half-moon rings that read insdide the opto, how should they be lined up? Picture of motor included

Thanks

2012-05-25_07-26-47_930.jpg2012-05-25_07-26-47_930.jpg 2012-05-25_06-50-07_269.jpg2012-05-25_06-50-07_269.jpg

#2 11 years ago

First **Do not manually turn the arm!** This will strip out the gears in the motor. Having said that, I don't think it matters where the rings are, at startup the motor should spin all the way to the right and all the way to the left and the optos should tell the machine where the motor is postioned; unless one or more of the optos on the board have gone out in the process. You can check them in test mode by using a flash light on the receivers in a dark room and looking through a camera at the transmitters to see if they light up.

#3 11 years ago

It won't even go that far. Like I said As soon as you turn the machine on, the claw start spinning in sa counter-clockwise direction the whole time. Won't stop. Have to immediatley shut machine off

Are the optos bad at this point? Where can I get replacement one. I look up the part number stamped on the optos : S-1865 Mexico 9348 and can't seem to find anything

#4 11 years ago

Can anyone else help?

#5 11 years ago

Can you see if the related opto's work in switch test?

#6 11 years ago

With the board off but connected, go into switch edge test and pass something between the optos to see if they work.

If not, then figure out if it's a four or five legged one and check Marco Specialties, they usually have both.

LTG

#7 11 years ago

If the Optos work after I test, what else could this possibly be? Sorry to keep asking questions but I would like to know all possibilities as a I have a long weekend and can really devote some time to fixing this.

Thanks for everyones help so far

#8 11 years ago

Just called Marco's they say they don't stock this and have never had it. I even sent him a picture.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

If the Optos work after I test, what else could this possibly be?

Well lets cross that bridge if we get to it.

Start with the opto. Test it and see if it's borked or working.

LTG

#11 11 years ago

I asked about those becuase I found them on the site while I was on the phone with him, he said those are are not the right ones. I don't know if he was absolutley sure or not, but as I have learned in the past

TRUST LTG....He knows what he is doing.

I will do your test first.

#13 11 years ago

OK. Still need help here. The optos check out fine as LTD instructed to test. I also tested all switches in the matrix across and down. They are all OK. Any other advice?

Thanks and

#14 11 years ago

Ok perhaps the part on the motor that trips the optos is broken off.

Otherwise, perhaps the transistor that powers the motor is shorted, causing it to always run. Look at page 2-46 in your manual. Claw motor left is Q38 and claw motor right is Q36. I believe counter clockwise would be moving right, so Q36. You can test the transistor on the board by touching your continuity meter to the top of the transistor and the other end to the ground plane. If it beeps, you have a shorted transistor and need to replace it.

I assume the motor runs the second you turn on the machine and never stops until you turn it off? If so, that sounds like a shorted transistor to me. However, if it requires you to press start on the game or waits until the game starts the crane test when powered on, it could be a switch.

#15 11 years ago

OK. I have replaced those transistors. No dice. I also went as far as plugging in my power driver board from my star trek next Gen. Still does the sane thing. I am at my wits end with this. Please if someone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Really appreciate all the help so far. Thanks

#16 11 years ago

When I read the title I thought of this:

5f8a8920b6b119f5c58825115cd1ca50.jpg5f8a8920b6b119f5c58825115cd1ca50.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Think I have it figured out. The is a bridge driver ice on the DC motor control assembly. The thing reads as open with a volt meter. Don't think it suppose to be that way. A whole board from Marcos runs 50 bucks. I found the bridge driver on mouser for 10 bucks. The initial part number matches which l6203 is but I can't find a part that has both L6203 and the number under it which is L88AP401 does this matter?

Thanks

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

OK. I have replaced those transistors. No dice. I also went as far as plugging in my power driver board from my Star Trek next Gen. Still does the sane thing. I am at my wits end with this. Please if someone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Really appreciate all the help so far. Thanks

Wow I never suggested blindly replacing them. Did they test shorted? Both of them? The dmm test for short on these is so easy.....

#19 11 years ago

One tested short but still did not fix. Sorry forgot to put that in last post but still did not fix. My bad. But also discovered that thing on motor board bad.

5 months later
#20 11 years ago

I had the same issues, in fact every issue mentioned in all the forums and Internet posts. Claw would be out of range, claw would spin left continuously, claw would only nudge a little, claw just wouldn't work. After trying almost everything I took it apart and resoldered everything connected to the claw - started working right after that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demo-man-cryoclaw-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.