• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by YeOldPinPlayer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi guys need some advice...
Found a demo man for $1400 but... it has crystalized leakybattery acid on the board.
The game plays except it shuts down/reboots every now and then, also back trough kicker shoots the ball out but doesnt recognize its there. The center ramp also isnt responding... i kno a new board replacement is like $275, but i wonder if that would fix it or maybe the acid has spread to other boards...?
any help advice that i should get pin would be great.

Would u take a chance at this price?

#2 2 years ago

I would say that's a bargain, especially if the cosmetics of the game are in good shape. Boards are easy to replace. You also don't necessarily have to spend $275--there are some cheaper options and refurbished originals for less.

Because of the way the boards are mounted, normally leaking batteries only damage the MPU.

The game resets could be just caused by the damage on the MPU, or possibly the common driver board issues with the 5v circuit.

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like an okay price for a light project

#4 2 years ago

How do u address the 5v driver board issues? Srry im a newb at this.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

How do u address the 5v driver board issues? Srry im a newb at this.

There is a large troubleshooting section on pinwiki:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Technically, you could also install the kahr adapter, but that's more of a temporary measure.

You could also replace the driver board, but it's often cheaper to repair the board than to buy a new one.

#6 2 years ago

Yes, I would buy it.

Quoted from Dantesmark:

back trough kicker shoots the ball out but doesnt recognize its there. The center ramp also isnt responding

These can be related to the battery corrosion on the MPU.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

but... it has crystalized leakybattery acid on the board.

terryb has a great thread on repairing the ALKALINE damage leaking batteries cause.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

terryb has a great thread on repairing the ALKALINE damage leaking batteries cause.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

I'm asking this to clarify. I hear a lot of people in the pinball world use the term "acid damage" when talking about leaking batteries on boards. This is actually alkaline damage, correct? So using the terms "battery damage/corrosion" or "alkaline damage/corrosion" would be the correct terminology? It's my understanding that there is still a small amount of acid, even in household alkaline batteries (unsure)? The corrosion from these alkaline battery leaks is not the acid leaking?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I'm asking this to clarify. I hear a lot of people in the pinball world use the term "acid damage" when talking about leaking batteries on boards. This is actually alkaline damage, correct? So using the terms "battery damage/corrosion" or "alkaline damage/corrosion" would be the correct terminology? It's my understanding that there is still a small amount of acid, even in household alkaline batteries (unsure)? The corrosion from these alkaline battery leaks is not the acid leaking?

Reading through the first few paragraphs of Terry's guide answered my question: the leaky stuff is a strong base, not acid.

Thanks for the link, yeoldpinplayer !

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Reading through the first few paragraphs of Terry's guide answered my question: the leaky stuff is a strong base, not acid.

That's important because most of us are familiar with cleaning automotive battery corrosion using baking powder, neutralizing the automotive battery acid with a mild base.
It's the opposite with alkaline corrosion, you use a mild acid to neutralize it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside