• Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coil (resized).png
20181112_115237 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 5 years ago

Put them in the freezer for a couple of days.
Also, be sure the brass insulating washer is installed between the coil and the frame.

#24 5 years ago

Hot or cold works. In the freezer for a few days will do it. I don't think I've ever come across one that was magnetized though. They usually stick when the coil is not magnetically insulated from it's frame.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I can check this, how are they supposed to be magnetically insulated from the frame?

There's usually a brass washer between the coil's core and the frame. Later Gottlieb's had plastic molded around the end of the core so that a washer was not needed. I'm not sure how it's done on "Blue Chip". I owned one once, but sold it. As "homepin" states above, there's brass in the coil stops, and the coil stop itself has a nylon bushing and a nylon insert nut to keep it insulated. That's on coils with plungers such as steppers, pop bumpers, flippers, etc.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

What did I need to look for on a relay setup since there is no coil stop?

Again, there should probably be a brass washer between the core of the relay coil (hole where the screw goes in) and the relay frame. The screw that holds the coil in the frame should be brass as well.

#31 5 years ago

A propane torch would surely be hot enough, but I think something else is the issue here.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Again, there should probably be a brass washer between the core of the relay coil (hole where the screw goes in) and the relay frame. The screw that holds the coil in the frame should be brass as well.

Check some of the other relays that aren't sticking to see if they have a brass screw and a brass washer. The washer does not go under the screw head, but it goes between the end of the coil where the screw goes in, and the steel relay frame.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demagnetizing-armatures?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.