View topic image gallery

tenor (4).gif
IMG_5592 (resized).jpg
IMG_1181 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7441 (resized).jpg
Deluxe type compair.jpg

#1 4 months ago

8-1-23

After hearing some consumer confusion over the past few months, I've made an infographic showing the different "Deluxe Type" SPIKE 2 speaker light offerings from various sellers. What I mean by "Deluxe Type" is, the SPIKE 2 speaker lights that light the entire grill area, use the light frame design that I created and use INDIVIDUALLY addressable LED light strips in a 60 LEDs per meter density. So basically, I am talking about light kits that were made by someone sending off one of my Deluxe light kits to be copied for them to sell.

The copies of my product that the other places are selling do not offer anything different or better and are defiantly not sold at a better price. My light kits of this type (Deluxe - type 12) ship in 0 - 3 days and all components are personally inspected, and the light kits are assembled, by me.

I tried to make the graph as easy to follow as possible. It's quite obvious that confusing their customers is part of their selling strategy, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com - Home of the original and best, pinball Speaker Light Kits)

Deluxe type compair.jpgDeluxe type compair.jpg
#2 4 months ago

Doug, your products are always delivered promptly and are head and shoulders above the competition. Thank you for creating such a fantastic mod.

#3 4 months ago

Doug

I appreciate the comparison but I have never bought any light kits other than those from speakerlightkits.com. Why? Because you offer excellent service. I have had questions in the past and you have been very prompt to answer them and get me going. No reason to go anywhere else and well....spend more! Thank you for such an outstanding product that has proven the test of time.

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from Fiddler:

Doug, your products are always delivered promptly and are head and shoulders above the competition. Thank you for creating such a fantastic mod.

Quoted from pokerag2:

Doug
I appreciate the comparison but I have never bought any light kits other than those from speakerlightkits.com. Why? Because you offer excellent service. I have had questions in the past and you have been very prompt to answer them and get me going. No reason to go anywhere else and well....spend more! Thank you for such an outstanding product that has proven the test of time.

Thank you both for the kind words and support.

I think anyone looking for this type of Speaker Light Kit and knowing what is on offer here would buy from me. The issue is many people don't know or put much thought into it. They are buying other mods for their games and see the other seller's speaker lights and just add them to their order. I'm pretty sure they don't know they are paying $35 - $70 more than they should.

The comparison chart was not posted to simply show the differences in prices but to also point out how they are charging $20 more for the same items on their own websites. It would be the equivalent of me making a listing on my website for a new "Super Deluxe" Spike 2 Speaker Light Kit and charging more money for it, even though it is just my Deluxe light kit. People would see the "Super" added to the name and the higher price and assume it is better, or at least, different...when they are not. I expect if I did do that, I would sell some of them, but I know doing that kind of thing is not right. Obviously, others don't have an issue with doing that. I know their light kits are selling, as I can see stock counts going down and I get the occasional e-mail from people that have bought from them, asking me various questions.

People are unknowingly getting duped, and I feel that getting the word out about what these other sellers are doing is the best way to prevent that.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#5 4 months ago

I promise I am not trolling with this question, but am genuinely curious….. Are these speaker lights your main source of income?

I ask, because over the years, I have read your posts that almost read as though everyone else that makes these are taking food off your table.

You honestly don’t have to answer this, I have just always found your posts interesting.

If you are counting on these kits to make ends meet, I completely understand, and if that is the case I applaud you for not taking it to the level of constant Pinstadium spamming/slimy used car seller approach.

Regardless, keep on keeping on and good luck with your kits!

#6 4 months ago

Bought 5 kits from Doug so far and would never buy an alternative. High quality, easy to install, quick shipping, great customer service, and they look fantastic. Enough said.

#7 4 months ago

I would never buy speaker lights from anyone else. Doug has great communication, fast shipping and exceptional customer service.

Thank you, Doug!

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I promise I am not trolling with this question, but am genuinely curious….. Are these speaker lights your main source of income?
I ask, because over the years, I have read your posts that almost read as though everyone else that makes these are taking food off your table.
You honestly don’t have to answer this, I have just always found your posts interesting.
If you are counting on these kits to make ends meet, I completely understand, and if that is the case I applaud you for not taking it to the level of constant Pinstadium spamming/slimy used car seller approach.
Regardless, keep on keeping on and good luck with your kits!

No problem with asking and YES, SpeakerLightKits.com is my only job and sole source of income.

The RGB color changing light kits for pinball machine speakers were my idea and were designed and developed by me. I realize I am very proud and protective of that. I try not to spam things up too much, but I do often chime in if the topic of speaker lights come up. I'm also not the kind of person to stay quiet when myself and others are being taken advantage of when it comes to speaker lights, even if that may come off as less than professional behavior.

Thank you for the well wishes,

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

No problem with asking and YES, SpeakerLightKits.com is my only job and sole source of income.
The RGB color changing light kits for pinball machine speakers were my idea and were designed and developed by me. I realize I am very proud and protective of that. I try not to spam things up too much, but I do often chime in if the topic of speaker lights come up. I'm also not the kind of person to stay quiet when myself and others are being taken advantage of when it comes to speaker lights, even if that may come off as less than professional behavior.
Thank you for the well wishes,

Thanks for that. I wish you and your company nothing but continued success!

#10 4 months ago

I think I figured this out on my own, just looking to clarify, your Flaming Type 14 Kit has more LED's than the Type 12 Kit... 42 vs 72? Any idea what comes in the CoinTaker's Flaming Kit for comparison sake? The details seem to be lacking on the CointTaker/MezelMod sites in regards to what you're actually buying which is what I like about your site, it is much clearer on what you're actually getting. Their flaming one does say something about music activation... would an additional module be needed in your Flame kit for that, or do the different modules not stack together?

#11 4 months ago

I don't particularly care for speaker light kits but if I was ever going to get a set, I certainly know where to buy from now. Thank you for sharing this.

#12 4 months ago

Doug is an amazing asset to this hobby. I've bought many of his light kits over the years, and they have always been excellent, but most importantly, Doug is a great dude who stands behind his products. He is the type of person who will truly go that extra mile to make sure his customers are happy. Other people may sell similar speaker light kits these days, but I will only buy them from Doug. He is the one who invented them, and he is the one who will continue to get my money in the future.

#13 4 months ago

I just put another kit in My LZ ,looks awesome as usual.Fast shipping.Doug has responded quickly when I have questions even a couple times when I was stuck on stupid.He gets Me back on track.Thanks Doug

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from roar:

I think I figured this out on my own, just looking to clarify, your Flaming Type 14 Kit has more LED's than the Type 12 Kit... 42 vs 72? Any idea what comes in the CoinTaker's Flaming Kit for comparison sake? The details seem to be lacking on the CointTaker/MezelMod sites in regards to what you're actually buying which is what I like about your site, my clearer on what it is that you're actually getting. Their flaming one does say something about music activation... would an additional module be needed in your Flame kit for that, or do the different modules not stack together?

Hmmmm. What I am talking about on this thread does not really concern my Type 14 Flamin' Frames light kits, but I can see where one may think that. None of the light kits listed above, not even my own, can compare to my type 14 light kit and how good its flame pattern looks. Let me try to clarify.

My type 14 light kits use individually addressable RGB light strips that have 144 LEDs per meter. It uses .5 meters of light strip in each light frame. This covers the bottom and both sides of the frame, as that is all that is needed for the flame effect.

The light strips that are used in ALL of the light kits described above (from me, CoinTaker and Mezel Mods) uses the same type of light strips as one another. They are light strips with individual addressable RGB LEDs that have a 60 LED per meter density that goes around all 4 sides of each frame.

So, you were correct on your bulb count on each frame. 72 bulbs on my type 14 light kits and 42 bulbs on all of the light kits described above. The meaningful difference there is not so much the bulb count as it is about the bulbs being closer together. The advantage of the higher density light strips (the actual bulbs being closer together) is mainly for the flame pattern. The higher density bulbs are really needed to convey the "movement" of the "flames". In any other light patterns I have seen, the 60 LEDs per meter light strips work great.

As for the sound activation that they mention.....it is not sound activation with the flame pattern. It means different sound activated light patterns with the same controller that has the fire pattern. So, the sound activation and fire can be done with the same controller, but not together. They are separate patterns of the 40 to choose from.

What I really need to stress here is THERE ARE NO MAJOR DIFFENCES IN ANY OF THE LIGHT KITS LISTED ABOVE except the price and the top tier does not include the SP601E Bluetooth / App controller that the lower 2 tiers have. If you are looking for a light kit that has a decent looking flame pattern, do not buy any of the above light kits. The 2 lower tiers do have the controller that has the fire pattern, but it doesn't look good. Not only because of the light frames having the lower density light strips, but mainly because the programming on the Fire pattern is just bad on that Bluetooth / App controller.

Here is a video showing the fire pattern that you would get from the bottom 2 tier light kits on the left.....and my type 14 light kit is on the right. If you like the crappy one on the left......I sell it for $100 whereas Cointaker and Mezel Mods are selling it for $159 - $169.95 (or from $139 if you aren't fooled by their little scheme and select their middle tier kits). My type 14 light kit (on the right) sells for $120 ($123 as shown with the additional plastic canvas to help to spread the light). I think the difference is pretty obvious.

Additional note: As much as I have bad talked it here, the SP601E Bluetooth /App controller isn't bad. It is very customizable and has a lot of different options if you download the app and mess around with the programming a bit. It's just the Fire pattern is a pretty poor interpretation of fire. The rest of the patterns are nice and many of them have adjustable color, pattern length, speed, direction and it includes sound activated patterns. It has 2 separate outputs and you can have 2 completely different light patterns coming out of each one. I can see that possibly being a cool feature in certain scenarios. However, if you are not going to download the app and get into the programming, it is pretty useless, BUT...as mentioned in the infograph, I also include the default controller that has 358 different color / light patterns and it, and the app controller can easily be swapped in and out on my type 12 (or type 13) light kits. From what I have seen, that is not the case with the other sellers mentioned above.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from roar:

would an additional module be needed in your Flame kit for that, or do the different modules not stack together?

I missed addressing that part.

My type 14 light kits use the higher density light strips as I described before, and they use a custom controller that only does the natural looking flame pattern. It has no remote and no additional settings. You install it, turn on your game and it's "Flame ON!". What you see is what you get. The Flamin' Frames (type 14) kit was not designed to use any different controllers.

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I missed addressing that part.
My type 14 light kits use the higher density light strips as I described before, and they use a custom controller that only does the natural looking flame pattern. It has no remote and no additional settings. You install it, turn on your game and it's "Flame ON!". What you see is what you get. The Flamin' Frames (type 14) kit was not designed to use any different controllers.

Love all the detail Doug! And that comparison video??? Why would anyone choose the one on the left? Now to find a Godzilla to put one in Appreciate the thoughtful response.

#17 4 months ago
Quoted from roar:

Love all the detail Doug! And that comparison video??? Why would anyone choose the one on the left? Now to find a Godzilla to put one in Appreciate the thoughtful response.

Well, there was up to a 6 month wait on my type 14 kits for a while, but they are now shipping in 0 - 3 days of being ordered.

However, my guess is they are just bought by their regular customers that don't know any better. I know they have been selling for them because I have been contacted by their customers and asked how to configure the controller to get the Fire program to look right. As it is....they don't even have their included controllers configured to do that (and they are not configured correctly by default). At least all of my SP601E controllers are tested and pre-configured to show the Fire effect on one of my type 12 kits, in all of its crap-tastic glory if someone wants to use it.

The CoinTaker price on them has also jumped up a couple of times (from the original $114.95 to the top dollar price of $169.95 with a stop or two in between......currently on "sale" for $159) which also leads me to believe they must be selling for them.

#18 4 months ago

Just installed a flame kit on my Mandalorian Pro. Exactly what I wanted. I forgot to add the plastic canvas set, so I may be ordering that soon - thanks Doug!!

IMG_7441 (resized).jpgIMG_7441 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 4 months ago

I have purchased two light kits from Doug, and they both glorious!

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from thebred:

Just installed a flame kit on my Mandalorian Pro. Exactly what I wanted. I forgot to add the plastic canvas set, so I may be ordering that soon - thanks Doug!!
[quoted image]

You are welcome. That does look nice. In your picture, it looks like the light from the light kit is actually spreading pretty well, even without the plastic canvas. If you do get some, you might want to just try it in one side to see what you think.

Quoted from SirMachismo:

I have purchased two light kits from Doug, and they both glorious!

I'm glad you like them. Thank you for your orders.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from thebred:

[quoted image]

where did you get the Mando ornaments in front of the speakers.....?

#22 3 months ago

I’ve always been happy with my speaker lights from Doug. He’s a friend and he has a great product. Selling copies of them at marked up prices is bad, but hearing that they are listing the same kit on their websites at two different prices doesn’t sit well with me.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from Jousley:

hearing that they are listing the same kit on their websites at two different prices doesn’t sit well with me.

It doesn't sit well, as it shouldn't. I can't imagine many of the buyers of their "Destruction" or "Flaming" light kits would be very happy to know they could have got the same thing from the same seller for $20 cheaper, let alone $59 cheaper if they would have bought them from the guy that actually designed the product.

It reminds me of the "Show Special" that CoinTaker was running at the Pinbrewfest show. It was their Deluxe light kit that was listed on their website for $119.95 and the "Show Special" price was......$129!?!

It's confusion by design, trying to make more money from their own customers due to their lack of knowledge. Don't get taken.

#24 3 months ago
Quoted from lakerone:

where did you get the Mando ornaments in front of the speakers.....?

I made them! I’ve got them temporarily fixed while I decided how much I did or didn’t like them. The flames made them, I think.

I might make a small run of them if the interest is enough to warrant the time and supplies.

#25 3 months ago

Doug's speaker light kits are now a mandatory day 1 purchase for any new pin I bring into the house. They look great on the games, he provides lightning fast shipping, and has been very helpful with installation advice and assistance in the past when I hadn't yet become a veteran of installing these.

I have no experience with the other commercially available light kits, except that my neighbor once bought Pinball Life's $100 all-in solution. Seeing that, I am glad I spent the extra $30-40 for the much higher quality version that Doug provides.

1 week later
#26 3 months ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Doug's speaker light kits are now a mandatory day 1 purchase for any new pin I bring into the house. They look great on the games, he provides lightning fast shipping, and has been very helpful with installation advice and assistance in the past when I hadn't yet become a veteran of installing these.
I have no experience with the other commercially available light kits, except that my neighbor once bought Pinball Life's $100 all-in solution. Seeing that, I am glad I spent the extra $30-40 for the much higher quality version that Doug provides.

Thank you for your kind words, support and business.

#27 3 months ago

Doug got your 5 1/4 adapters and light kit and LOVE THEM!!! Well done, thanks

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I can echo this. Always bought Doug’s kits but made the mistake of buying one from PBL since I needed to order a bunch of other stuff from them and their quality is typically good. But in this case there is no comparison to the number of LEDs / uniformity of light plus overall build quality.

#29 3 months ago

I recently bought a kit through Doug for my Godzilla, looks fantastic, one of the best mods I’ve done to the game. Super easy to install too. Totally worth it.

IMG_1181 (resized).jpegIMG_1181 (resized).jpeg
#30 3 months ago
Quoted from Cyclehoarder:

Doug got your 5 1/4 adapters and light kit and LOVE THEM!!! Well done, thanks

I'm not usually a fan of leaving the speaker foam in front of the round (type 13) speaker lights, but that looks nice. I'm not sure if it is due to you not having the surround rings installed (which is fine, they are not needed) or from seeing them in motion instead of just a still image. It may also be due to the darker colors you are using on the light kit there....as they are keeping the speaker cone pretty dark and less noticeable behind the foam and that giving it a cool look.

I am glad you love it.

Quoted from luckymoey:

I can echo this. Always bought Doug’s kits but made the mistake of buying one from PBL since I needed to order a bunch of other stuff from them and their quality is typically good. But in this case there is no comparison to the number of LEDs / uniformity of light plus overall build quality.

With the round light kits that Pinball Life sells, it's pretty much what you see is what you get. They used their own light ring designs (as far as I know) and are using regular RGB LEDs vs the individually addressable RGB LEDs that I use in my round light kits. They do have them at a nice price if you are getting the kit that has the speakers and speaker plates. However, as you mentioned, the light kit portion of them is not near the quality of the round (type 13) light kits that I sell. They don't look as good, and they don't use the individually addressable light strip that my type 13 kits use. I think a cut-rate light kit at a cut-rate price is an accurate way to describe their round light kits.

As for the Deluxe Type light kit that Pinball Life sells (that lights the entire grill area), they copied my light frame design (with me being their supplier), cheapened the bill of materials by cutting out the separate power transformer and are using lesser light strips that DO NOT have individually controller LEDs as they claim. The light strips they are using on that light kit are only addressable every 3 bulbs, which makes the light patterns much chunkier, and they don't look as good. I'm not sure if they have these listed incorrectly on their site because they don't know the difference, they don't know their own knock-off product, they just don't care, or if it was purposely done to deceive their customers. In any case, them copying my light frame design is not appreciated and I have been contacted by their customers, thinking they were my light kits, and being confused and disappointed by the downgrade that the Pinball Life "Premium Serial" light kits are compared to my Deluxe (type 12 ) light kits. They have also made other changes that can affect the functionality of their light kit and make it not work as it should. All and all, it's a poorly done knock-off that it seems was done with little thought except "I will copy this and make all of the money from this product, instead of the guy that actually thought it up and designed it". Unlike the others though....this attempt was trying too hard to make cuts to the product that really effects it negatively. They would have been better sending it off to China to get copied and just charge $40+ more for their hard work of having one of their suppliers' products copied.

Thank you for your support.

Quoted from kangaroobbq:

I recently bought a kit through Doug for my Godzilla, looks fantastic, one of the best mods I’ve done to the game. Super easy to install too. Totally worth it.
[quoted image]

Thank you for your order and the kind words. I'm glad you like it.

2 weeks later
#31 84 days ago

BUMP! for the folks that haven't seen I am selling what they have copied, much cheaper and better than what they have to offer.

#32 84 days ago

Happy with my set for Mando......

IMG_5592 (resized).jpgIMG_5592 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#33 67 days ago

Will you be selling any at pincinnati!?

#34 67 days ago

Even down under I’ve only ever used Doug’s speaker light kits. Love them and a must have mod for me.
Thanks for the great quality products mate. Appreciate it.
Kind regards Scott.

#35 67 days ago
Quoted from mistabone:

Will you be selling any at pincinnati!?

I doubt I will have anything for sale in a booth at the Pincinnati show. If you want something to pick up at the show, you can let me know in advance and I can probably have it there for you.

Doug

#36 67 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd rather burn the money for warmth than buy speaker light kits; but If I bought some they sure as shit would be from the OG Doug Freeze.

1 month later
#37 31 days ago
tenor (4).giftenor (4).gif
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs
Toppers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs
Toppers
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 28.00
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods
Plastics
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Simsbury, CT
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rising Fawn, GA
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deluxe-type-spike-2-speaker-light-comparison- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.