(Topic ID: 58390)

Delivery fail... *CONFIRMED* Package stolen from front porch. Any advice?

By Triumvirat73

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MustangPaul
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

robber.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    MET.jpg
    louisville-slugger-bat.jpg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

It's rather unfortunate that you picked the last two days to be in town. Up until yesterday we had gone weeks with super hot weather and without a cloud in the sky.
    I hope you didn't bring that Lake Michigan precipitation along with you! lol

Thanks for the invite, Greg!

We're road warriors today, though. Heading to Vancouver.

Just getting everyone up... Any recommendations for breakfast? I'll PM you.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Thanks for the invite, Greg!
    We're road warriors today, though. Heading to Vancouver.
    Just getting everyone up... Any recommendations for breakfast? I'll PM you.

PM Sent

#104 6 years ago

Although the horse has already left the barn in this particular instance, you can help to avoid this situation in the future by asking the sender to write in big A$$ letters, "do not safe drop". Then if it is safe dropped, you have a little more leverage.

Could also go further and have a sign of some kind on your porch asking that no packages be left. Might be a little tacky, but you could put the sign out only when expecting a package, eh.

#105 6 years ago

I have had trouble with my USPS because they mark the package as Delivered even before the driver leaves the Post Office. I guess they assume the driver is going to deliver it to the correct house. In every case (I have had a few) they found that the package was delivered to the wrong house. Not sure if this happens to you in Canada or not. It could be a case where they delivered it to the wrong front porch.

#106 6 years ago

You guys think its bad now, wait till the system is privatized and you will see even more problems because routes will then be bidded on each year or so. So you could have a new carrier every year on the route.

#107 6 years ago

For some reason I keep picturing Charlie Sheen grabbing your goods and
    using it for cocaine money.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Not saying that camera's is a bad idea or thing not to have but in this case it is totally wrong for a home owner to have to buy a camera setup for parcels being stolen off of a unsecured location such as the front porch where they shouldn't have been left in the first place. All mail is to be secured in it's desiginated mailbox and parcels if no reply shouldn't be left without a signature waiver of the home owner. This was just laziness on part of the carrier as not to leave a notice or to attempt delivery on the following day if need be. They left it unsecured, they are at fault period. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, scream and scream loudly until they make it right.

That's fine, and I agree, but the world ain't all roses and rainbows and sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from bradloy25:

You guys think its bad now, wait till the system is privatized and you will see even more problems because routes will then be bidded on each year or so. So you could have a new carrier every year on the route.

Are you kidding? If they privatized USPS it would be AWESOME. Look at UPS or FedEx, those services slay the postal service. Instead of losing billions of dollars a year...like the postal service does right now, it could actually turn a profit...like UPS and FedEx do.

I say free market everything, like health insurance too. If you could buy health insurance like you can buy car insurance these days, all our freaking problems would be gone and STILL have the best medical system in the world. The way it's going now we'll be no better than Canada soon...

Post edited by Matt_Rasmussen : Added Details

#110 6 years ago

After skimming through this thread and seeing the porch and the situation I had a sort of similar thing happen.. I had a cheapo ($70) guitar I was buying for my nephew from a vendor online. Never got it... complained and I believe that the guy didn't use a trackable service somehow... like it was through the post office, but opted for no tracking or delivery confirmation since the item was low dollar. Anyway... I complained and since he dind't have a way to track it and we didn't know where it was he sent me out another one. I got it and everything was good. About 2 weeks later I opened my back porch door and found guitar #1 sitting on the back porch! Never had a note left anywhere.. guess that is a good reason you use a tracking service eh? Either way that vendor ate it on another unit.... but yea.. checking with neighbors and your own backyard is step #1.

#111 6 years ago

USPS is horrible when it comes to insurance claims.

I'm fairly deep into the antique car hobby (pre-1927). Several years ago, I came across a NOS engine part that wears out. It was probably the last one in the world. In comparing my part to the replicas available, I realized they were slightly different. I mentioned this to one of the reproduction manufacturers, and he asked if he could borrow it to get dimensions to make a proper replica part. In the interest of the good of the hobby, I agreed.

I packaged the part well, and brought it to my local post office. I insured the part for $1000 as I recall, and paid for tracking and signature confirmation. The package never got there. Tracking stopped at a sorting facility in Illinois. For all I know, that package is still sitting under some machine there.

When I tried to file claim, the postal service denied it, saying that I needed to be able to prove the value of the item (how does one prove the value of a one-of-a-kind item?). My counter argument was that since they agreed to that amount for insurance for the package, they agreed to the value of the item inside the package.

A decade+ later, and the matter has never been resolved. They simply closed the case against my will.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I'm fairly deep into the antique car hobby (pre-1927). Several years ago, I came across a NOS engine part that wears out. It was probably the last one in the world. In comparing my part to the replicas available, I realized they were slightly different. I mentioned this to one of the reproduction manufacturers, and he asked if he could borrow it to get dimensions to make a proper replica part. In the interest of the good of the hobby, I agreed.
    I packaged the part well, and brought it to my local post office. I insured the part for $1000 as I recall, and paid for tracking and signature confirmation. The package never got there. Tracking stopped at a sorting facility in Illinois. For all I know, that package is still sitting under some machine there.
    When I tried to file claim, the postal service denied it, saying that I needed to be able to prove the value of the item (how does one prove the value of a one-of-a-kind item?). My counter argument was that since they agreed to that amount for insurance for the package, they agreed to the value of the item inside the package.
    A decade+ later, and the matter has never been resolved. They simply closed the case against my will.

That sucks dude, an good example of why the government should get out of the postal business.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

After skimming through this thread and seeing the porch and the situation I had a sort of similar thing happen.. I had a cheapo ($70) guitar I was buying for my nephew from a vendor online. Never got it... complained and I believe that the guy didn't use a trackable service somehow... like it was through the post office, but opted for no tracking or delivery confirmation since the item was low dollar. Anyway... I complained and since he dind't have a way to track it and we didn't know where it was he sent me out another one. I got it and everything was good. About 2 weeks later I opened my back porch door and found guitar #1 sitting on the back porch! Never had a note left anywhere.. guess that is a good reason you use a tracking service eh? Either way that vendor ate it on another unit.... but yea.. checking with neighbors and your own backyard is step #1.

You didn't return guitar #1? The vendor didn't screw you, the post office did.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

That is horrendous.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

Either way that vendor ate it on another unit....

Why did he eat it?

You returned it, right?

#116 6 years ago

Initially he just sent out another. I ended up buying the 2nd one for my other nephew since I already had it and the extra shipping was on the house so to speak..

#118 6 years ago

This fat trollop

robber.jpg

#119 6 years ago

The description gets me every time! 600 pounds...buahahaha.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomaszb1:

The description gets me every time! 600 pounds...buahahaha.

Sex: Female-ish

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from bradloy25:

I will take that chance in a millisecond.

My local USPS is run by people that make drunk monkeys look like skilled workers. I would say there are two full time people that do a good job offset by about everyone else there. The postmaster is incompetent and that is a true and accurate label.

UPS & Fedex are not perfect but WAY better overall than the USPS. The only thing that the USPS service has in its favor is the flat rate shipping boxes and free supplies.

I often go get the free USPS boxes then turn them inside out and ship Fedex.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This fat trollop

Too bad you cant stuff an eastern diamondback rattlesnake in the box, minus rattle.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

FINAL UPDATE:
    So I phoned Canada Post on my lunch break and, not surprisingly, they were all too quick to throw their hands up in the air with disinterest and told me to call USPS. Before doing that they told me to call PBL and inform them of the confirmation of package theft in case they get a response from their submitted USPS ticket.
    So I phoned Terry and had a great conversation with him. He sympathized with me for the loss of items and $$ but informed me that in 12 years of dealing with USPS regarding international shipments he has recovered exactly $0.00 from them when it came to recovery claims. He also offered to cover half of the shipping on my re-order but I declined as PBL did nothing wrong in this whole thing and I don't think that they should be on the hook for it for a single dime.
    At least I was able to take his info and put to rest any thoughts of trying to fight a battle that can't be won. I'm just thankful that I'm only out $100 and that it wasn't an order with very expensive items included.
    Just for a laugh I'm including a picture I took today of my front porch as seen from the road, just in case I needed to give it to Canada Post to show them that my porch is most definitely not a "safe drop".

But you have that metal railing to hide your packages. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 109.95
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside