(Topic ID: 58390)

Delivery fail... *CONFIRMED* Package stolen from front porch. Any advice?

By Triumvirat73

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robber.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    MET.jpg
    louisville-slugger-bat.jpg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Hi guys,

So over years of having things shipped to my house, I've run into my first snag. I'm hoping someone here has some advice about how to proceed.

I'll start by saying that I live in Canada and was ordering from the USA. I placed an order with PinballLife a while back and they shipped it promptly with tracking info. The parcel would have been larger than would fit in my mailbox, and in the past if I've not been home for a delivery they would leave a notice to come and pick it up from the post office the next day. Well...

I checked the tracking info online last night and it said that it was successfully delivered on Monday. After calling all of the local postal outlets I was directed to the 1-800 customer service number. They informed me that the package was indeed successfully delivered on Monday and LEFT ON MY FRONT PORCH!! The only thing that I can think of is that someone saw it on my porch and scooped it while I was at work. I'm absolutely livid. I HATE thieves.

Now they are saying I have to call PinballLife and tell them what happened (not that there's anything they can do about it. It isn't their fault) and then USPS to file a claim.

Have any Canadians here had a similar disaster that required a claim with USPS, and if so, how painful was the process?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
    Greg

</rant>

#2 10 years ago

That sucks!

#3 10 years ago

I know right? And even worse than the feeling of violation that some lowlife came onto my property and stole from me is the fact that nothing in the package would be of ANY use to anyone that doesn't have a pinball machine. Grrrr....

#4 10 years ago

One possibility, and I and several around here have had this happen, is that it got delivered to your neighbors or a different house by accident.

Might be worth checking with them just in case.

#5 10 years ago

I had a similar incident. I called the delivery co (UPS) and they contacted the driver. Turns out he inadvertently placed the package at the stop before mine on their porch. Driver hightailed it back and fixed the mistake. With todays tracking I would think they could contact the delivery person to verify a possible mistake. They do happen and that's a possibility. Good Luck

#6 10 years ago

I had this happen a couple of years ago. Two packages stolen on the same day, one delivered via USPS and one by UPS - both left in plain sight on my porch. The police said that there had been a rash of thefts from someone following the UPS driver around for the week prior to this. Long story short, I got $$$ back from UPS but was totally hosed on the USPS delivery. It is considered delivered by USPS so long as it is left on your front porch and there is no prior instruction by the sender or recipient to not leave packages.

My mailman now knows to never leave packages if I am not home.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll call the depot on my lunch, but neither of my local postal outlets that they would normally be delivered from had any record of the package and therefore couldn't tell me who the driver was. Hopefully the parcel depot will have that info. Finders crossed!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

One possibility, and I and several around here have had this happen, is that it got delivered to your neighbors or a different house by accident.
    Might be worth checking with them just in case.

Definitely check the neighborhood. I've had this happen numerous times on packages confirmed as delivered by USPS. (Sorry jedimojo)

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I had this happen a couple of years ago. Two packages stolen on the same day, one delivered via USPS and one by UPS - both left in plain sight on my porch. The police said that there had been a rash of thefts from someone following the UPS driver around for the week prior to this. Long story short, I got $$$ back from UPS but was totally hosed on the USPS delivery. It is considered delivered by USPS so long as it is left on your front porch and there is no prior instruction by the sender or recipient to not leave packages.
    My mailman now knows to never leave packages if I am not home.

That's what I was afraid of. Especially being in another country. And Canada Post wouldn't take responsibility for it, even though it was their driver that would have delivered it.

I feel the sandy wiener creeping up behind me...

#10 10 years ago

Its more likely it was left at the wrong house. I work for Fedex and I've done it a few times. Ask the post office to question thecarrier. It helps jog the memory of where it was really left.

#11 10 years ago

Also, I live on a cul-de-sac and most neighbors know each other. I'd like to think that if one of them got it that they'd be decent enough to bring it over, but I'll stay optimistic until I speak with the delivery depot.

#12 10 years ago

I hate to hear this. I worry about this a lot when I am at work, but never had anything stolen (knock on wood). Hope you get reimbursed and are able to get your order re-completed quickly. I think for most packages I order for my pins, waiting the extra week on the part because of it might be more infuriating than the hassle of getting money back.

#13 10 years ago

My USPS guy delivers the wrong mail to me 2-3 times a week, he is worthless. So, I can only imagine how much of my mail is all over the place

#14 10 years ago

I'm just spit-balling here, but my guess is that you'll have to go after Canada Post. Once I asked Terry if there was any point to shipping USPS with insurance (in case of damage, etc). He told me it was a waste of money and that I'd have to fight back and forth between USPS and Canada Post (ie - they each blame each other).

Maybe talk to the local Canada Post office in your area / neighbors?

Edit : wow a lot of replies while I typed this, you may have to contact whatever CP location dispatched the package, not sure which.

#15 10 years ago

I think I'm going to stop jumping to my initial conclusion and hope that what seems to have happened to lots of people has happened to me. Delivered to wrong house...

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about some nitwit delivering to a wrong house than being stolen from.

Maybe I jumped the gun on my conclusion. I'll find out in about a half hour when I call.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

My USPS guy delivers the wrong mail to me 2-3 times a week, he is worthless. So, I can only imagine how much of my mail is all over the place

Ouch!!

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I think I'm going to stop jumping to my initial conclusion and hope that what seems to have happened to lots of people has happened to me. Delivered to wrong house...
    I'd feel a lot more comfortable about some nitwit delivering to a wrong house than being stolen from.
    Maybe I jumped the gun on my conclusion. I'll find out in about a half hour when I call.

That would be the ideal case, let's hope this is the case!

#18 10 years ago

During the holidays, the same thing happened to me. I contacted USPS/FedEx/UPS, I dont remember whom, and they said contact the vendor and they should be able to replace the item as they will file the claim through there insurance. The vendor happily sent me a new one, and three days later I received the new one as well as the one the USPS/FedEx/UPS person promised in the report that they left on my door step 2 weeks ago. I sent one back to the vendor since he was so nice about it and did not even question that I may have been trying to pull something over on him.

Hope all works out for you, and it may have been delivered to the wrong address and may show up in a week or so.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from mjs2:

During the holidays, the same thing happened to me. I contacted USPS/FedEx/UPS, I dont remember whom, and they said contact the vendor and they should be able to replace the item as they will file the claim through there insurance. The vendor happily sent me a new one, and three days later I received the new one as well as the one the USPS/FedEx/UPS person promised in the report that they left on my door step 2 weeks ago. I sent one back to the vendor since he was so nice about it and did not even question that I may have been trying to pull something over on him.
    Hope all works out for you, and it may have been delivered to the wrong address and may show up in a week or so.

Thanks for that info!

I must say though that I would feel like a jerk contacting PinballLife with this problem. They did everything they were supposed to. I'd hate to put them in that position.

Worst case scenario though I guess I should call them and see what they have to say. Having exhausted all other options, of course.

#20 10 years ago

hope your not out too much, you can talk to the person that devilers your mail not just the office to be sure it was dropped correctly at your location. down in arizona we had much mail theft so i had all packages held at the post office untill i can pick them up. up here i have never had a proublem knock on wood- but i have noticed when i screened off my front portch for restoration, that ups would bring it to the back porch and even open the door and place it in the mud room inside the house- leave speacil intruction they might work with you. usps- well your out of luck but they can hold it for you.

#21 10 years ago

Triumvirat73 , If it shows up on my porch in Ohio I'll let you know. JK hope it turns up

#22 10 years ago

I've even opened boxes that were addressed to my neighbor by accident.

Me: Hey, this got delivered to me by accident.
    Neighbor: You opened it ?!
    Me: Yeah, I never read labels. If it's on my porch, I open it.
    Neighbor: Thanks. Glad it was not anything of a personal nature.
    Me: If it was from Adam & Eve, you might not got it back.....

#23 10 years ago

Have you checked with your neighbour. My neighbour took the package once to protect it from the rain. Worth a try. And yes it does completely suck.... now you'll have to pay obscene amount of shipping again to get the parts back...total bummer.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Me: If it was from Adam & Eve, you might not got it back

Vid ,your not dressing up in women's lingerie are you?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I googled "Adam & Eve" at work and went to the website. For the rest of you that didn't know what "Adam & Eve" is. I suggest waiting till your on your home computer and not at work. But then again my wife is at home and might see me...........

#26 10 years ago

That sucks- Whats worse is that whoever stole it probably opened it later and had no idea what the stuff was and just chucked it. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Vid ,your not dressing up in women's lingerie are you?

Yes, ever since I was a little girl.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

I googled "Adam & Eve" at work and went to the website. For the rest of you that didn't know what "Adam & Eve" is. I suggest waiting till your on your home computer and not at work. But then again my wife is at home and might see me...........

Your wife might be thrilled, your boss, not so much.

#29 10 years ago

Do you need me to come over? Got any video camera footage? Kelowna was just in the paper for having the highest crime rate in ALL of Canada...ouch..

louisville-slugger-bat.jpglouisville-slugger-bat.jpg

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Adam and Eve has used the same 'discreet' packaging for years. I have been delivering mail for 22 years. I have some funny stories to tell.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

For the rest of you that didn't know what "Adam & Eve" is.

Who would those people be?

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Do you need me to come over? Got any video camera footage? Kelowna was just in the paper for having the highest crime rate in ALL of Canada...ouch..

I know! WTF?! lol.

If you came over Tom, the only thing we'd be catching is an early buzz and a few new Met highscores.

#33 10 years ago

Bought a Wireless camera for this exact reason. It takes snapshots when anyone comes onto my porch and e-mails them to me. Sorry to hear it through. Not that it would prevent someone from stealing my stuff but at least I would know that some lowlife took my stuff or that it was never delivered in the first place.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

That sucks- Whats worse is that whoever stole it probably opened it later and had no idea what the stuff was and just chucked it. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Had this happen to my backpack in college. Nothing but notes and a book or two. Invaluable to me but I am sure it ended up in the dumpster somewhere.

#34 10 years ago

Update: I spoke with the local depot and the guy is "looking into it" for me, though I don't know what that entails.

I also phoned Margaret at PinballLife and she was very cool to deal with and very sympathetic. Without me even asking she started a claim to USPS on my behalf while we were talking on the phone.

I'm guessing I'll have to give it a day or two for things to get organized before going any further. I'll update this thread whenever I have something new to add.

Cheers,
    Greg

#35 10 years ago

I know! WTF?! lol.
    If you came over Tom, the only thing we'd be catching is an early buzz and a few new Met highscores.

Here's my current GC score on my machine. 3 ball, factory settings/outlanes.

Hope you get your stuff back, shipping from the states is horribly expensive too...and sometimes duty on top of the shipping...40 bucks in parts could be 60 bucks in shipping/duty sometimes haa..

MET.jpgMET.jpg

#36 10 years ago

Nice score! Breaking the 300mil barrier

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm going to try and stay positive until I find out what's happening one way or other. lol

#37 10 years ago

I had a package that said delievered and it of course was not. I called and they said "We delivered it at the wrong address." I asked which one and they actually gave it to me. I went to the person's house and they had at lease 10 packages stacked on top of eachother and all were different addresses...

I just grabbed mine and left.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I had a package that said delievered and it of course was not. I called and they said "We delivered it at the wrong address." I asked which one and they actually gave it to me. I went to the person's house and they had at lease 10 packages stacked on top of eachother and all were different addresses...

That is bananas!

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

!??WTF??!

#40 10 years ago

You need killer surveillance robots.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've even opened boxes that were addressed to my neighbor by accident.
    Me: Hey, this got delivered to me by accident.
    Neighbor: You opened it ?!
    Me: Yeah, I never read labels. If it's on my porch, I open it.
    Neighbor: Thanks. Glad it was not anything of a personal nature.

That's funny.

#42 10 years ago

did you look up on the roof?

#43 10 years ago

All I know is the ONE time I sent out a package with minimal insurance through UPS, that package came up missing. I had to self insure the the remainder. I always insure now for full value. What are the odds of the only time I under insure?

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

All I know is the ONE time I sent out a package with minimal insurance through UPS, that package came up missing. I had to self insure the the remainder. I always insure now for full value. What are the odds of the only time I under insure?

Insurance is a waste of money in my case and is as useless as delivery confirmation using USPS.
    We only have P.O. boxes up here and when the dyslexic dolt puts an item in the wrong box if the person that gets it doesn't return it you are screwed and have no recourse, the item has been confirmed delivered end of subject.
    This dullard has done this to me twice and now I have stuff shipped Fedex to the office.
    If it has to go USPS I have it sent to a buddy in Riverside so this fool doesn't get her hands on it.

#45 10 years ago

Not that you should have to, but did you stop by any of your neighbors yet and check with them if your pkg was left on their porch/doorstep?

I assume you also check any other likely places around your house where pkg could have been placed to help keep it out of the weather and more out of sight.

One time I recall that a UPS guy put a pkg back by my shed under the overhang. Ok by me.
    Sometimes they have left pkg by the kitchen side door. Ok by me.

#46 10 years ago

Heh, UPS recently left a $600 camera sitting on my front porch overnight. Supposedly it was delivered at 5PM, but I was home at the time and he didn't even ring the bell (in fact I have him on security camera just dropping and running).

The next morning, I thankfully found it still sitting there.

When I saw the box I was surprised no one rang the bell that morning, but I was utterly shocked when I checked the tracking and discovered it was actually delivered 15 hours earlier! It had rained that night and the box was quite damp, but the camera was waterproof so it was okay.

#47 10 years ago

UPDATE:

I just got a call from the parcel depot in town. The guy said the carrier went by our house and verified that she did, in fact, leave it on our front porch. She is a new carrier which is why I didn't get a card to come and pick it up. She instead decided to "safe drop" it, which I find to be a horribly inaccurate term.

So great. It was actually stolen right off of my front porch...

Also, the guy flat out told me that I likely have no realistic recourse as far as monetary recovery is concerned. F*&king wonderful.

#48 10 years ago

hmm there fault they should compensate.......check the post office policy's and see if they have to take it back or if they can just drop it on your porch.

#49 10 years ago

Just had an issue today with USPS. I mailed out a package, which I had re-boxed. Usually I'm thorough about checking that I didn't leave any labels on it, in this case I must have missed one.... they delivered it to my wife's job today.

Whoops

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

hmm there fault they should compensate.......check the post office policy's and see if they have to take it back or if they can just drop it on your porch.

The problem is because it's international. USPS will say it's Canada Post's responsibility, and Canada Post will say it's USPS's responsibility.

I'll find out if Canada Post has a strict policy on not leaving parcels out in the open, but if they don't then I'll be screwed. Their response when I asked this before was that if the package does not require a signature then it's up to the carriers discretion.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/delivery-fail-package-stolen-from-front-porch-any-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.