Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

Yeah that's my only issue as well, August is vaporized and September not great either. Rotating weekends suck.

#52 6 years ago

Date will be finalized this weekend. August is definitely out. So it will either be in September or October.

#53 6 years ago

Just adding my interest in the event. I'd be in favor of having it be an IFPA event, or at least having the main tournament be IFPA. This will also help move towards enabling a SCS for Delaware, which I think would be pretty awesome. I think the addition of a whole bunch of side events makes for a more fun and interesting event as a compliment to the main event (and those don't need to be IFPA). I don't know if you're taking opinions on format, but I think Match Play is a lot of fun. Everyone gets a set minimum number of games, you end up paired up with people of similar skill, and then you conclude with head-to-head matches to determine the winner. You can also do a A and B (or even C) finals to give more people a chance to play more and win.

#54 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Corey!

Just wanted to let everyone know I will be meeting with Mike on Saturday and we will definitely have a date determined at that time and hopefully most if not all the other details as well. Stay tuned!

-Chad

#55 6 years ago

I hear there is open bar! I will definitely attend if that is a feature. I like idea, keep up the good work!

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Veith:

I hear there is open bar! I will definitely attend if that is a feature. I like idea, keep up the good work!

That's going to be one helluva drive from GA! More power to you if you make the trip!

#57 6 years ago

I'd like to make this as well. Ima DE guy myself having grown up there and most of my family still reside in DE (rents live in Middletown).....see what my schedule is and give it a go. Also I don't care about all the rankings, points, etc....just for fun and some decent competition.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I'd like to make this as well. Ima DE guy myself having grown up there and most of my family still reside in DE (rents live in Middletown).....see what my schedule is and give it a go. Also I don't care about all the rankings, points, etc....just for fun and some decent competition.

Good to hear @pinballerchef! Will you be making the trip solo or will you be bringing along anyone?

#59 6 years ago

Look for an update either later tonight or tomorrow. Meeting up with Mike sometime after 5pm tonight to iron out most of the details. Stay tuned!

#60 6 years ago

OK folks, we have 2 dates selected for Delaware's First Annual State Pinball Tournament. Majority rules for the date. We will announce the chosen date on 7/9/17, at which point we can determine a format based on the number people that plan to attend. Please either post in this thread with the date or dates you can make it or shoot me a PM.

September 23rd

or

November 4th

#61 6 years ago

November 4th makes me a solid maybe

#62 6 years ago

Have a few things going on in September, but I should be good for either.

#63 6 years ago

Sept 23 works for me, won't know my Q4 schedule for a while.

#64 6 years ago

I'd be interested but not if it isn't ifpa.

Why wouldn't you do ifpa? It will draw many more people. Delaware isn't in the middle of nowhere.

And try not to get too hung up on "how many people plan to attend." You simply never really know. Build it and they will come. Or they won't. Either way it will be fun. Plan for it like you are gonna get a replay fx sized crowd and the rest will work out. I've hosted many of these tournaments and that's really the best approach.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why wouldn't you do ifpa? It will draw many more people. Delaware isn't in the middle of nowhere.
    And try not to get too hung up on "how many people plan to attend." You simply never really know. Build it and they will come. Or they won't. Either way it will be fun. Plan for it like you are gonna get a replay fx sized crowd and the rest will work out. I've hosted many of these tournaments and that's really the best approach.

The headliner tourney game is going to be SF2...just FYI.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for the feedback Levi. Our biggest problem is space. Secondly I really don't know how many people honestly are interested in driving to southern Delaware to play pinball, thus the feeler question. This is being hosted in @wmspin's basement, therefore we can't really have 60 people just show up. If the interest level reaches 60, then we might have to go to reserved entries so we don't get overcrowded.

As for IFPA or not, this tourney stuff is relatively new to me (one year under my belt). I know from playing other sports, some people only prefer sanctioned events, and some people don't care. Since this is the first in an annual series we are just gauging everyone's interest and feedback and will move forward from there. I want you to come down regardless of IFPA or not because I want to play some 1v1 pinball against you for some mad loot.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

The headliner tourney game is going to be SF2

Okay that's fuckin' funny.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Thanks for the feedback Levi. Our biggest problem is space. Secondly I really don't know how many people honestly are interested in driving to southern Delaware to play pinball, thus the feeler question. This is being hosted in wmspin's basement, therefore we can't really have 60 people just show up. If the interest level reaches 60, then we might have to go to reserved entries so we don't get overcrowded.
    As for IFPA or not, this tourney stuff is relatively new to me (one year under my belt). I know from playing other sports, some people only prefer sanctioned events, and some people don't care. Since this is the first in an annual series we are just gauging everyone's interest and feedback and will move forward from there. I want you to come down regardless of IFPA or not because I want to play some 1v1 pinball against you for some mad loot.

I am interested, and many of my friends in the NYC area will be too. You'd probably draw interest from Virgina-New York depending on if there's other tournaments the same weekend (try to schedule an open day).

And yes, I understand your space concerns. My place is REALLY small. And I used to try to cap it. But the reality is I've never had more than 22 show up so now I don't bother worrying about it. Even if 30 showed up we could make it work. You will simply NEVER have 60 people show up - this is a first-time thing, not a circuit event or a tournament with a reputation, and like you said, you are in Southern Delaware. If it's a success maybe you'll have more people next time around but I don't think you have to worry about the throngs descending on your place.

The other thing about trying to gauge how many people will show up is that most people don't know what they are doing on Wednesday. Expecting people to know what they'll be doing on a random weekend in September isn't realistic - for a tournament like the one you are suggesting, it would probably be a thursday before the tournament decision for myself and many others in the NYC area, and that's how it'll be for people in Philly, DC, baltimore, etc.

But seriously for it to be worth anybody's time to make even a 45 minute drive - anybody beyond pure novice - you'll want to do an IFPA event. Now, if you really don't care about that, and in fact want a small, novice tournament for people in Delaware, then yeah unsanctioned makes sense.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But seriously for it to be worth anybody's time to make even a 45 minute drive - anybody beyond pure novice - you'll want to do an IFPA event. Now, if you really don't care about that, and in fact want a small, novice tournament for people in Delaware, then yeah unsanctioned makes sense.

He has spoken...

Pin God (resized).jpgPin God (resized).jpg

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Already been done

LMFAO.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

He has spoken...

Come on man, he asked for advice so I'm giving it. He's never done a tournament before, and I don't think he's played in many either, and the entire point of his thread was to get some experienced opinions.

I'm trying real hard here. Do you really not want me to post anymore?

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on man, he asked for advice so I'm giving it. He's never done a tournament before, and I don't think he's played in many either, and the entire point of his thread was to get some experienced opinions.
    I'm trying real hard here. Do you really not want me to post anymore?

I'm just bustin balls man...keep posting and want you to show up. Chad's a newb, but a cool guy. And he dove in like most of us did. I've met him a few times and sold him a few games of my own and from the shop. We need more "energetic" guys like him in the hobby. I just didn't know if he was looking to get something going and grow it, or he wanted to go IFPA and have Lyman show up right out of the gate.

Not to derail his thread here, but did you really think that SW Pro was "good enough"? (as opposed to Prem or LE, which we can't evaluate at this point).

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Not to derail his thread here, but did you really think that SW Pro was "good enough"? (as opposed to Prem or LE, which we can't evaluate at this point).

Man no clue. I'm really surprised the game STILL isn't out there to play or video - it's been weeks since I played it!!! And it seemed like it was ready to go except for the tilt bug (you got a tilt warning and the game would basically freeze for 30 seconds). I am generally a "pro guy" and this game seemed to be a very good, fast, complete pro title to me. But that's all personal preference, I'm usually "happy" with the pro version, and certainly for all of their latest titles. (AC/DC I'd need a prem. if I were buying new).

1 week later
    #74 6 years ago

Everything is now finalized and the first post has been updated. Levi, we better see you there!

Tournament Details:
    When: 9/23/17
    Time: 1PM Start (Games will go on at 11am for practice)
    Where: 30107 Stage Coach Circle, Milford DE 19963
    Cost: $25 ($20 will go to prize fund, $5 will go to refreshments, trophies, etc.)
    Format: IFPA Match Play in groups of 4. Qualifying will be from 1-4pm.
    Finals: Based on 32 or more entries, Top 8 will go to "A" Finals, Next 8 will go to "B" Finals, all other players will go to "C" Finals
    Scoring: 7 points for 1st, 5 points for 2nd, 3 points for 3rd, 1 point for 4th
    Prize: Trophies plus cash payouts. "A" division will award prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. "B & "C" divisions will awards prizes for 1st and 2nd

**Current game lineup is X-Men, Earthshaker, Comet, Full Throttle , ToTAN, Metallica, Indy 500, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Jokerz, Road Show, Fish Tales, Cirqus Voltaire, Stars, World Poker Tour, No Good Gofers, Phantom of the Opera, Mousin Around, 8 Ball Deluke, Paragon, Conquest 200(EM) and Safecracker. Additional games that might show up are Space Shuttle & Grand Lizard,

#75 6 years ago

Is advanced sign up required?

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Everything is now finalized and the first post has been updated.

Chad, had to back out of LOP this past week due to differences with my partner. Although it was foreseeable on some level, still unexpected and unfortunate. Working on starting my own separate entity, so hopefully I can get it up and running quickly and still sponsor your event in some way. Either way, I should be at least attending.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Is advanced sign up required?

Not at this time. We are only asking at this point for people that are 100% committed to RSVP to me so we can have a rough idea of the number of people coming.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Chad, had to back out of LOP this past week due to differences with my partner. Although it was foreseeable on some level, still unexpected and unfortunate. Working on starting my own separate entity, so hopefully I can get it up and running quickly and still sponsor your event in some way. Either way, I should be at least attending.

Oh man, sorry to hear Colson, but totally understand! By the way, just having you in attendance is better than any sponsorship!

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Not at this time. We are only asking at this point for people that are 100% committed to RSVP to me so we can have a rough idea of the number of people coming.

At this time, I don't think I can say I'm 100%. I probably won't know until a week or two out? Can I just show up or should I message you and update my RSVP before making the drive (assuming I can make it)?

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

At this time, I don't think I can say I'm 100%. I probably won't know until a week or two out? Can I just show up or should I message you and update my RSVP before making the drive (assuming I can make it)?

You should be fine. Just check in here about a week before and we should have a better idea of participants.

We already have 10 confirmed.

#81 6 years ago

I am definitely in and will be bringing one other person.

#82 6 years ago

97.3% sure I cant make it, but Im still willing to lend machines if someone is willing to transport both ways. I *REALLY* want to lend my SFII so you make Levi play it.

Currently have Street Fighter II, Comet, Terminator 2, and will most likely have a Lethal Weapon 3 soon.

#83 6 years ago

Malenko,

Thanks for the offer! I think we are going to be tapped out for space now since WMSpin just picked up 4 more machines. If anything changes between now and then I will definitely let you know. I work in New Castle every day, so stopping by wouldn't be an issue.

#84 6 years ago

well make room for street fighter at least lol

#85 6 years ago

I just received word from Stern that they will be donating prizes for the tournament. I don't know what they are yet, but I will update everyone as soon as I receive the package!

#86 6 years ago

Pinball Gallery, in Malvern PA just committed to donating some prizes for the event!

#87 6 years ago

Pinball Life has now joined the growing list of sponsors!

#88 6 years ago

Another sponsor secured. Marco Specialities joins the ever growing list of sponsors. Inagural event is shaping up to be a good one!

#89 6 years ago

Jersey Jack has stepped up and will also be a sponsor of the First State Flip Off!

#90 6 years ago

Chad, awesome to see so many companies & vendors stepping in to support the event. At this rate we might have to move it to a bigger venue, especially if Jack shows up with a few Dialed In pins.

And given the chosen name of your event, I was trying to come up with T-shirt designs that somehow involved the middle finger.

#91 6 years ago

I'm in as long as Pinsanity (my hometown Southern NJ tournament) isn't the same weekend! I don't know their date yet.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Chad, awesome to see so many companies & vendors stepping in to support the event. At this rate we might have to move it to a bigger venue, especially if Jack shows up with a few Dialed In pins.
    And given the chosen name of your event, I was trying to come up with T-shirt designs that somehow involved the middle finger.

Now that shirt design could get quite interesting!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

I'm in as long as Pinsanity (my hometown Southern NJ tournament) isn't the same weekend! I don't know their date yet.

Yea, I checked around for a 2017 date and didn't see one. Hopefully he doesn't select the same date because I want to play in his tournament as well.

#94 6 years ago

Cointaker has now joined our list of sponsors!

#95 6 years ago

Pinball Star is also joining our list of sponsors. Don't miss out on this awesome time! I'm planning to make the first tournament in Delaware a big one which will pave the way for future tournaments as well as the possibility of hosting and running the IFPA State championships. Please RSVP if you are making the trip down!

-Chad

#96 6 years ago

Chad - you are doing a great job getting sponsors. Nice work.

Count me as confirmed even though I have never played half the games on the tourney list

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Chad - you are doing a great job getting sponsors. Nice work.
    Count me as confirmed even though I have never played half the games on the tourney list

Thanks @boscokid! Fun times will be had by all in attendance!

#98 6 years ago

We are up to 21 confirmed so far! Also wanted to a minute to thank Pinball Gallery in Malvern, PA for putting up the event flyer in their arcade! Thanks for helping promote this tournament!

-Chad

#99 6 years ago

Quit squawking and work on getting tshirt made.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Quit squawking and work on getting tshirt made.

Haha! Do you think people would really want to buy an event shirt? I mean if enough people actually wanted to buy one I would have my graphic artist at work put some designs together.

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/delawares-first-annual-state-pinball-tournament/page/2?hl=dangersem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.