Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mkecasey
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CsxQnbqXEBcoszj (resized).jpg
    3B061B67-1D56-4EC2-878E-5F1E81245D3F.jpeg
    A9068556-FE6C-4F56-8502-0B9EDBE43751.jpeg
    2318DF5C-717C-40E2-ADBB-1DDDE04EA30C.jpeg
    B3EC675E-783A-4D4E-AEEC-9E565F94C298.jpeg
    IMG_7135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3864 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3836 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3837 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3835 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7141 (resized).JPG
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Over in the White Rose Pinball show thread there has been quite a bit of chatter about a small one day show in the fall and I suggested trying to put something together in/near Wilmington or New Castle Delaware.

So let's talk seriously about this since time is not on our side. What size(number of pins) would be worthwhile? Also, if the date was right who would actually bring a game or two? If we can generate enough serious interest over the next week I will try and pull this off. I could also use the show to run one of the final IFPA qualifying tournaments for Delaware for 2017.

Respond here if you would definitely bring a game or 2 if the date was the middle of November or early December.

-Chad

#2 6 years ago

Chad,

I don't have any machines ready for freeplay but I would be interested in a vendor space if prices are in line with other shows. My life was screwed up by family so I didn't get the chance to set up at York. Now my trailer is empty so I could get a load of project machines and parts ready on fairly short notice.

#3 6 years ago

I would bring games

#4 6 years ago

That soon is too soon, I'd say, you need to plan AT LEAST a year in advance IMO. But if not, I'll be there.

#5 6 years ago

I agree. I think you need a year to plan. Generate interest, etc

Plus, Something to think about is if the show is close to winter, you run the risk of bad weather. Wilmington is a great location though.

#6 6 years ago

Force Flow pulled it off in just a few weeks up in NY. It can be done but you shouldn't expect a bigger show - maybe 35 to 50 machines if you are lucky but it could be the start of something much bigger?

#7 6 years ago

I sent you a PM. Feel free to use me as a resource. A lot of the groundwork and details that went into my show could easily be used for yours.

Quoted from Pinphila:

Plus, Something to think about is if the show is close to winter, you run the risk of bad weather.

Good point. It tends to get cold and rainy here in the northeast. But then again, pretty much every pinball show I've been to has had some rain. It's not a pinball show without some rain, lol

Another factor that may hurt attendance & participation is that people may be less able to travel to or participate in the show during this time of the year if they have school-age kids.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

Force Flow pulled it off in just a few weeks up in NY.

About three months of serious planning total--about 1 month scouting possible locations and talking to people for gauging interest for bringing games, followed by two months of serious planning and promotion after landing a venue. Pretty much every evening and weekend went into that, and prepping some of my own games for the show (you really should think about committing more than just 1 or 2 games just to make sure you have a small core of "good" games for people to play). It was a pretty intense couple of months.

#8 6 years ago

ForceFlow the first year the York show was fully inside it didn't rain a bit LOL

#9 6 years ago

I’d be down. It would be nice to have a pin show with less than an hour drive for a change

#10 6 years ago

It would be nice to have a show during the doldrums of winter when most don't have much going on.

Harder for me to commit to weekends in spring/summer.

#11 6 years ago

Doesnt matter when the date is, any of my machines that are working can be used someone just has to come get them (and bring them back! )

Comet should have its new PF SOOOOON

#12 6 years ago

I would have two machines to bring.

#13 6 years ago

Great feedback so far! I would like to see double or triple the current interest in order for me to realistically try and put something together for 2017. Otherwise this will get shelved until 2018.

Forceflow - thanks for all the information and tips, rock solid!

#14 6 years ago

I'd be interested if it's in northern DE (near the bridge) since I'm coming from north jersey. I'd only go if there's at least 100 pins and a decent flea market. Otherwise, (no offense intended) it wouldn't be worth my while since I'm a 2 hour drive just to the bridge not including turnpike traffic.
    I love seeing the hobby grow and would be in support if it's a decent size with good quality EMs. If the show meets my criteria, it'll be very difficult to pull it off within the next few months. I'm also wondering if ivan will do a fall show in Allentown (which is unlikely since he hasn't said anything about that but it might still be a possibility).

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

I'd be interested if it's in northern DE (near the bridge) since I'm coming from north jersey. I'd only go if there's at least 100 pins and a decent flea market. Otherwise, (no offense intended) it wouldn't be worth my while since I'm a 2 hour drive just to the bridge not including turnpike traffic.
    I love seeing the hobby grow and would be in support if it's a decent size with good quality EMs. If the show meets my criteria, it'll be very difficult to pull it off within the next few months. I'm also wondering if ivan will do a fall show in Allentown (which is unlikely since he hasn't said anything about that but it might still be a possibility).

I doubt you will make the first year or two of any show if you expect to see over 100 pins on Freeplay. When York started at the Fire Hall I doubt if there were half that many and I an sure Allentown was the same way early on. The only show I have ever heard of that started big is Pintastic and Gabe worked well over a year and put a ton of money at risk to make that happen.

If a first time show starts with 25 to 50 pins and a hand full of vendors they are doing well. But I wouldn't expect a first time show to be much bigger than 50 machines and a half dozen vendors unless someone gets very-very lucky or risks a ton of money. Force Flow will tell you how hard it is to get a show off the ground if you ask him and so far to my knowledge he and Gabe are two of just very few people who have even attempted to add a new show.

#16 6 years ago

I only own one game, and I am not sure how "show-ready" it is, but I would 100% support a DE show in any way I can.

#17 6 years ago

There's a couple of us in Chester County that would show up and either bring a couple of free play games or take a vendor booth. Make sure there is a good flea market presence if at all possible. Advertise not only on Pinside and rec.games, but elsewhere if possible. The more retail buyers show up (eg, mom, dad, and the kids)the more retail sales will be made and the more vendors will attend to buy and sell.

#18 6 years ago

Again, it would ultimately depend on the date. But if my schedule allows, I'd be happy to drive down and support a new show.

#19 6 years ago

I doubt you will make the first year or two of any show if you expect to see over 100 pins on Freeplay. When York started at the Fire Hall I doubt if there were half that many and I an sure Allentown was the same way early on. The only show I have ever heard of that started big is Pintastic and Gabe worked well over a year and put a ton of money at risk to make that happen.
    If a first time show starts with 25 to 50 pins and a hand full of vendors they are doing well. But I wouldn't expect a first time show to be much bigger than 50 machines and a half dozen vendors unless someone gets very-very lucky or risks a ton of money. Force Flow will tell you how hard it is to get a show off the ground if you ask him and so far to my knowledge he and Gabe are two of just very few people who have even attempted to add a new show.

Yes I'm completely aware and understanding of that. York started with 60 pins. Only 100 people were supposed to come to the first Allentown show. Unfortunately I have a very busy day to day schedule and I only do this strictly as a side hobby. Traveling more than 2 hours for a pinball show for me is very time consuming and expensive and unfortunately (no disrespect) it's not worth me and my family's time and $ for a show that doesn't meet my "criteria." I love to attend all types of antique shows and love to see the hobby expand and despite what I said last sentence I love going to shows but on the flip side, can't make them all.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Yes I'm completely aware and understanding of that. York started with 60 pins. Only 100 people were supposed to come to the first Allentown show. Unfortunately I have a very busy day to day schedule and I only do this strictly as a side hobby. Traveling more than 2 hours for a pinball show for me is very time consuming and expensive and unfortunately (no disrespect) it's not worth me and my family's time and $ for a show that doesn't meet my "criteria." I love to attend all types of antique shows and love to see the hobby expand and despite what I said last sentence I love going to shows but on the flip side, can't make them all.

I think 99% of us do this as a hobby and are very busy otherwise. My point was it is unfair to set too high of expectations for a new show. People who choose not to come that is entirely their choice but trying to set expectations too high will only lead to disappointment. Most shows start small and grow with support from the community. Personally I choose to support any show any way I can trying to help them grow into something larger. Those people who don't support smaller shows are part of the problem because without everyone's support those shows will never grow.

I am not talking about you specifically or personally I am just saying it takes the support of the pinball community to have these shows and those people who do not support the shows shouldn't complain about lack of shows or shows not being what they expected them to be. If we all work together the hobby will keep growing but if over half the people in the hobby take the "wait and see" attitude the hobby will not continue to grow and new shows will likely not survive.

Again - nothing personal just something everyone must realize if we expect the hobby to continue to grow.

#21 6 years ago

I like shows that are a close drive... I'm flying to the Dayhuff party 4 November, so that weekend is definitely out for me. 10 November (Friday) is a pinball home league night down here in DC area but wouldn't necessarily be a non-starter if the show is on Saturday... it's also the weekend of the Nashville show (https://grandoleexpo.com) but with a 12 hour drive separating the two shows I can't imagine anyone having to make a hard choice between the two.

Anyway, barring such personal calendar conflicts, I'd come... most likely with a game... maybe as a tournament sponsor... maybe as a vendor (but I would unquestionably have daughterboards in my pocket if I'm there).

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#22 6 years ago

Depends on date but I should be able to bring a few games. Probably stargate and avengers. Maybe a few vids.

#23 6 years ago

I’d bring my super nice clearcoated Black Hole

#24 6 years ago

I've never brought a game to a show, but if you are thinking about Wilmington or New Castle..I'll bring a game. Even if you end up with 30 or 40 games and 3 or 4 parts tables...it would be great.

#25 6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. Pintastic's first year was a ton of work to get the show off the ground. It almost killed me and my partner. My partner dropped out because of all the money and time away from his family. In year 2 and 3 I have expanded my team to help with all phases of the show. Doing it alone is a daunting task that I don't recommend. Just my 2 cents.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Thank you for the kind words. Pintastic's first year was a ton of work to get the show off the ground. It almost killed me and my partner. My partner dropped out because of all the money and time away from his family. In year 2 and 3 I have expanded my team to help with all phases of the show. Doing it alone is a daunting task that I don't recommend. Just my 2 cents.

Gabe,

What most people don't realize is how much time & effort goes into any show - any size - etc. But what you guys have accomplished in just a couple short years is just beyond words. One of these days I'll be up to join in the fun!

#27 6 years ago

What most people don't realize is how much time & effort goes into any show

It is amazing how many people think a show just happens.

LTG : )

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It is amazing how many people think a show just happens.
    LTG : )

Or that the promoters are making a ton of money doing it! With the promoter taking all the risk for very little reward I just don't know how anyone has it in them to do it!

HATS OFF TO ALL THE PROMOTERS! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Doesnt matter when the date is, any of my machines that are working can be used someone just has to come get them (and bring them back! )
    Comet should have its new PF SOOOOON

I'm in the same boat as you, but yeah I'm in for a show. I understand it would be small but you have to start somewhere.

#30 6 years ago

I'd be willing to bring a machine if I've finished working on it by then.

#31 6 years ago

All,

While we do have some interest, it didn't reach the level I needed or expected in order to pull off a show before the end of the year. With that said, I will be shelving the idea of having a 2017 show and instead will focus on making this happen for November 2018. Thanks for the feedback so far and stay tuned for more announcements early next year.

-Chad

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

All,
    While we do have some interest, it didn't reach the level I needed or expected in order to pull off a show before the end of the year. With that said, I will be shelving the idea of having a 2017 show and instead will focus on making this happen for November 2018. Thanks for the feedback so far and stay tuned for more announcements early next year.
    -Chad

Let me know if u need any help. Hopefully u can get 100-125+ pins. I do think it's possible to make that happen because many people appear to be interested in an Allentown fall show but I don't think that'll happen. So hopefully this show takes its place

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Let me know if u need any help. Hopefully u can get 100-125+ pins. I do think it's possible to make that happen because many people appear to be interested in an Allentown fall show but I don't think that'll happen. So hopefully this show takes its place

I will definitely need help! Thanks for offering. And yes, I fully believe was can break 100 pins NEXT YEAR. The show will happen, mark my words.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

I like shows that are a close drive... I'm flying to the dayhuff party 4 November, so that weekend is definitely out for me.

Looking forward to 2018! Note that Rich posted tentative dates of 12 October for the 2018 York show.

For those interested in some November pinball this year, I mentioned the Dayhuff party earlier in this thread. Flying from BWI to Detroit is pretty darned inexpensive - I'm taking a Sat AM Southwest flight out and a Sunday AM Spirit air flight back for a grand total of about $120 round trip. Check out the invite thread for details of the party, but the short of it is everybody is invited and so far there are 50 RSVPs. Apparently with that headcount the game to person ratio will be greater than 1.0... I've never been there before but it sounds like a fantastic community event/party.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#35 6 years ago

Perhaps instead of a show just have a tourney? Way easier to set up. Have a few machines in a free play area as well.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Perhaps instead of a show just have a tourney? Way easier to set up. Have a few machines in a free play area as well.

Grav,

The main reason for putting together a show is because I'm all in for the hobby and Delaware pretty much has zero presence in the pinball world. So whatever I can do to help promote pinball I'm willing to tackle. I will continue hosting tournaments but that only draws a select crowd. I want to make more local people aware of pinball. I hosted the first ever pinball tournament in Delaware a couple of weeks ago and 39 people showed up from DC to New York. I have no issues of putting this together and I'm confident with a little over a year of planning the first show will be successful. I'm not looking to have the next Allentown size show, my goal will be around 70 pins for the first show.

#37 6 years ago

I read that the Chase Center on the River Front in Wilmington has a great venue. It's also not far off the DE Memorial Bridge. A Mid-November to early December show with 125+ pins would be something I'm interested in.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

I read that the Chase Center on the River Front in Wilmington has a great venue. It's also not far off the DE Memorial Bridge. A Mid-November to early December show with 125+ pins would be something I'm interested in.

The venue is top notch. So is the price. I have many contacts in the restaurant industry and will try and work with them to find a suitable place.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

The venue is top notch. So is the price.

American Legion and VFW halls? Local fire companies? Knights of Columbus? Fraternal organizations?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

American Legion and VFW halls? Local fire companies? Knights of Columbus? Fraternal organizations?

Yes Alan, all options. I was simply commenting on what someone else suggested.

#41 6 years ago

I would love a Delaware show as I could visit the Parental unit. I won't bring any games since I would be flying in, though.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I would love a Delaware show as I could visit the Parental unit. I won't bring any games since I would be flying in, though.

Please expand on this Parental unit.

#44 6 years ago

Hah! Awesome. I initially thought you were referring to a place. I should have a place and date locked in around December or January.

#45 6 years ago

Can't wait to see what Chad comes up with for a Delaware show. I should be able to provide a game or two.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I won't bring any games since I would be flying in, though.

Here's an idea: your parents could if you bought them a game for Christmas! What a great gift - when it broke it would give you a reason to come visit and when you were visiting it would give you something to do. Jeez, maybe I should get my parents a machine...

... It's cool to see the momentum build around the possibility of a Delaware event - I hope it comes together. I guess it HAS to now that folks want to fly half way across the country for it. We're pulling for you djreddog!

-Rob

2 months later
    #47 6 years ago

Small update for everyone. I meet with a venue on 1/20/18 to try and come to an agreement on a place in Wilmington, DE. More details to come after 1/20!

#48 6 years ago

Moved to correct thread.

#49 6 years ago

I would try to make it, about an hour away for me, just a little bit more than the distance to the Allentown show.

#50 6 years ago

I would bring a game also. Vampire is coming along and should be done in the next week or two. Not a pin I'll want to move around too much, but for you Chad I would bring it to christen the new show.

Before

IMG_7135 (resized).JPGIMG_7135 (resized).JPG

IMG_7141 (resized).JPGIMG_7141 (resized).JPG

Current progress

IMG_3837 (resized).JPGIMG_3837 (resized).JPG

IMG_3835 (resized).JPGIMG_3835 (resized).JPG

IMG_3836 (resized).JPGIMG_3836 (resized).JPG

IMG_3864 (resized).JPGIMG_3864 (resized).JPG

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/delaware-fall-show-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.