• Latest reply 8 months ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STtNG_Cannon.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Well my canon plunger sticks sometimes on my STTNG.

It's a magnetic issue as when it does stick it stays with power off.

Got my hands on an old tv degausser and want to try demagnitizing the plunger that way. I am wondering for those who have tried, if I need to take the plunger out of the assembly before degaussing or is it ok to do while it is near the coil.

In short will the degausser mess up my coil?

#2 11 years ago

Try it without taking it out first. You aren't going to hurt anything. If that doesn't work, it's simple to take out as well.

#3 11 years ago

Take the plunger out before you degauss it! You run the risk of generating a current on the coil (even if it's unplugged BTW) when you turn on the degausser. Same theory as a Transformer. Also Tape down the plunger to a surface so it won't jump around.

#4 11 years ago

No need to remove the plunger. Any current that is induced in the coil will dissipate through the diode.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies...will try it with coil attached.

Hope this actually works!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

No need to remove the plunger. Any current that is induced in the coil will dissipate through the diode.

Wrong! Your dealing with AC current Not DC! Travels both ways. Every half cycle, current is traveling the opposite direction that the diode would normally divert the collapse voltage to.
plus you are exposing other components on the play-feild to the degausser is near (remember a degaussing ring is about 15" in diameter).
And you probably won't degasses the plunger as well or at all with a coil wrapped around / adjacent to it.

#7 11 years ago

Agreed I would absolutely take it out before doing this or you are going to likely have a huge project on your hands.

#8 11 years ago

Another words. No, no one has tried this before. Lots of smart guys with good theories but no one knows for sure. So unless you like being the test subject id take that plunger out.

#9 11 years ago

Haven't done it yet (have to move some machines to ge tthat glass off where the mahine stands right now) which was a good thing since I came back to this thread!

Ok...will definately take the plunger out to be 100% sure I'm not going to screw it up!

Thanks all for letting me know....btw I have the wand kind not the ring kind...I still don't know how wide an area it affects but going to take it out anyways.

#10 11 years ago

Why do you think it's magnetic vs mechanical in the first place? Have you taken apart and cleaned the solenoid mech? One of mine does the same thing intermittently and I haven't gotten to it yet.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

Another words. No, no one has tried this before. Lots of smart guys with good theories but no one knows for sure. So unless you like being the test subject id take that plunger out.

Not just a theory. Place a coil with an A/C Current on it (the degausser) next to another wire winding (a pinball coil for example), the other winding produces an A / C current. Basic transformer operation. Put a meter on a coil, and hit it with a degausser and watch what happens on the meter while the degausser is on.

Quoted from markmon:

Why do you think it's magnetic vs mechanical in the first place? Have you taken apart and cleaned the solenoid mech? One of mine does the same thing intermittently and I haven't gotten to it yet.

I'd have to agree with this. I have seen magnetized plungers and stops before, but they are rare.
It's much more likely to be a damaged plunger, damaged coil stop, or other worn / misaligned parts.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've replaced everything on it and it still did the same thing.
I've gotten so fed up with it I changed out the plunger for a new one, new coil, new coil sleeve and same damn thing. It doesn't happen all the time but its has happened on both coils at different times.
When I turn off the power and the plunger still stays out...I barely press it in and it snaps back into place.

I'm pretty convinced it is not mechanical unless there is something I am totally missing...any ideas for mechanical issue?

I still have not degaussed it yet but will report back to see if it solves the problem.

#13 11 years ago

Mine does that ocassionally as well. I read somewhere that its the wire loom that causes this so, I replaced it, not fixed. I also replaced the coil sleeve and that did not help. I would be interested to see if you find the problem with yours.

#14 11 years ago

Ok my guess would be that perhaps the angle that the plunger travels through the sleeve is slightly off causing occasional friction or that wires are getting into the linkage.

1 year later
#15 9 years ago

I started experiencing this exact problem with my right cannon plunger a while back. I just got done tearing into it and found that a groove had been pounded into the bracket (see red arrow) by the retaining cap on the end of the plunger. That cap, which has a relatively sharp edge, was getting stuck in the groove, which was frequently causing the plunger to stick when the cannon went through testing at start-up. I fixed the problem by removing that bracket and polishing down the groove with a steel wheel brush. It's working great now, no more stuck plunger!! Hope this tip helps somebody someday.

STtNG_Cannon.jpgSTtNG_Cannon.jpg

9 years later
#16 8 months ago

I had the same problem after rebuilding the gun launchers. Found the sleeve was to short. I replace it with a slightly longer one and it did not experience the same issue. Turns out when I put the guns back together I must have grabbed the wrong sleeve as one gun had longer one, other gun had shorter one. Both have longer sleeve and have not had any sticking issues. Also when I was moving it by hand while the shorter sleeve was in place I felt the slightest catch, that was the clue that lead me to notice the sleeve difference between the two guns. All good now!

#17 8 months ago

Use a tape deck head degausser on the plunger.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/degausser-sttng-cannon-plunger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.