Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by luc1f3rb0b
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.38.32 PM (resized).png
    48EE1708-EEB8-4A24-8215-ED6A7FAB5047 (resized).jpeg
    583EB7DE-D57F-41A8-9BE8-8E4471D4CA7B (resized).jpeg
    E9DDFC3F-C721-4FD6-BF74-DE32BA33BE13 (resized).jpeg
    F2234AB0-1121-42B1-8253-0DA29C728932 (resized).jpeg
    3DCA8F6C-FA87-48EC-BFE1-19928D998580 (resized).jpeg
    LOGO SMALL (resized).jpg
    Podcast episode 01 image (resized).jpg
    IMG_0998 (resized).JPG
    64334208_(resized).jpg
    image.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Koos:

I won’t believe that it’s intentional that Kaneda’s Pinball Podcast isn’t listed here.
    Come on write his name down. He’s no Voldemort. Nothing bad will happen when we say his name.
    I must admit, he can often go on a rant (especially now with the whole Highway disaster) and I often don’t even make it halfway before I stop listening.
    But he can offer some insights, news and rumors and it’s up to the listeners to decide who likes him and who doesn’t. Right?!

Allow me to offer the Pinside Staff’s position with regard to Kaneda.

Pinside reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. And Kaneda lost his Pinside privileges. So we are exercising our right to refuse service to him. Anyone is still free to listen to his podcast. We are equally free to make the decision not to advertise his podcast.

While we recognize the podcast has its share of listeners, topics in those podcasts sometimes include personal attacks on members or pinside staff, which are not allowed.

If you would like to discuss topics that come up in the podcast about news, interviews, and the like, those are fine.

If anyone would like to discuss our position, please open a moderator feedback thread.

Pinside Staff

#153 5 years ago

Here's what I look for in a podcast:
    1. Keep me updated about the latest pinball news. I like hearing about the rumors, drama, releases, buzz from shows, tournament news, and the most interesting discussions happening in the Pinside community. In other words, I'd like to feel like I'm plugged in to everything going on in pinball without having to spend hours reading every thread.
    2. Relatively short, maybe around 30 minutes.
    3. Frequent, at least weekly
    4. Carefully curated, not just random conversations. I've gradually deleted all of the super long stream-of-consciousness podcasts. I realize these are easy to produce, but they are really boring.
    5. NO pinball origin stories. (I've always loved pinball....zzzzzzz.....)
    6. No arcade game or virtual pinball news

This is something I posted a while back. Really, I’m only listening to KPP and C2C. With the huge amount of new podcasts lately, are there any new shows that meet my criteria? I would like to add maybe one more to my regulars. The main thing I want to avoid is super long, boring shows. Who else is doing something similar to KPP and C2C?

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Here's what I look for in a podcast:
    1. Keep me updated about the latest pinball news. I like hearing about the rumors, drama, releases, buzz from shows, tournament news, and the most interesting discussions happening in the Pinside community. In other words, I'd like to feel like I'm plugged in to everything going on in pinball without having to spend hours reading every thread.
    2. Relatively short, maybe around 30 minutes.
    3. Frequent, at least weekly
    4. Carefully curated, not just random conversations. I've gradually deleted all of the super long stream-of-consciousness podcasts. I realize these are easy to produce, but they are really boring.
    5. NO pinball origin stories. (I've always loved pinball....zzzzzzz.....)
    6. No arcade game or virtual pinball news
    This is something I posted a while back. Really, I’m only listening to KPP and C2C. With the huge amount of new podcasts lately, are there any new shows that meet my criteria?

Pinball Profile is the closest to meet all conditions you provided. It is interview-based, so how well it tackles #1 for your purposes I'm not sure, but it does cover events and tournaments. Some risk of #5, depending on the interview, but the show is very tightly edited and on average is probably the shortest episode length of any existing pinball podcast.

Anyway, it would be the one I'd recommend trying.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Who else is doing something similar to KPP and C2C?

Actually, I would recommend Dennis' show Eclectic Gamers Podcast. It's fortnightly, not weekly, and it discusses arcade games but the arcade stuff is always the second part of the show so I just turn it off after the pinball section. Apart from those two caveats, it pretty much hits all of your other points. Plus the hosts are really likable personalities.

You might also like the relatively new Pinball News and Pinball Magazine Podcast. It's longer and monthly but it's pretty much just news. It covers the whole month of goings-on in a lot of detail. The hosts are well-connected and do their research, so the show sometimes has news that the other podcasts don't have access to.

Despite what Dennis said above (sorry Dennis), I don't think you would like Pinball Profile. It's an interview show and while I tune in for the interviews of people I'm interested in, it rarely covers the news.

#156 5 years ago

Eclectic Gamers is my go to podcast for in-depth info.

#157 5 years ago

I will try it.

Actually, I think what I’m really asking for is exactly what C2C used to do. I’m shocked that nobody has tried to fill the void that Nate left behind.

Yes, Nate got a little too close to Stern there for a while, then got a little too tournament-focused, then got busy selling guitars or something. But, for a couple of years, his podcast was close to perfect.

KPP is excellent, but really only focused on new games, manufacturer drama, etc. IMHO, his is easily the best out there right now, but he’s only interested in a very narrow slice of the hobby.

Someone should step up and create the next C2C...just clone it! Nate has shown you the way!

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Who else is doing something similar to KPP and C2C?

Quoted from DennisK:

Pinball Profile is the closest to meet all conditions you provided.

I second Pinball Profile. Very clean and well produced. Not every episode topic is interesting to me personally, so I tend to skip some. It's uploaded regularly, so there's plenty of content to pick from.

The Bro podcast is great but too infrequent.

STDM is solid, but I can't stand their audio production quality. Too loud, then too quiet. If they just had separate mics, it'd be much better.

I listen to KPP's podcast regularly for news and rumors, but I find the host off putting and self serving. He's certainly butt hurt about Pinside, which I thought was petty and also hilariously cringy. He also created a fake Facebook account of Hilton? WTF? He definitely has some personality issues.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Allow me to offer the Pinside Staff’s position with regard to Kaneda.
    Pinside reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. And Kaneda lost his Pinside privileges. So we are exercising our right to refuse service to him. Anyone is still free to listen to his podcast. We are equally free to make the decision not to advertise his podcast.
    While we recognize the podcast has its share of listeners, topics in those podcasts sometimes include personal attacks on members or pinside staff, which are not allowed.
    If you would like to discuss topics that come up in the podcast about news, interviews, and the like, those are fine.
    If anyone would like to discuss our position, please open a moderator feedback thread.
    Pinside Staff

Perhaps, then, the word “definitive” in the thread title should be replaced with “select” or “censored.”

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I will try it.
    Actually, I think what I’m really asking for is exactly what C2C used to do. I’m shocked that nobody has tried to fill the void that Nate left behind.
    Yes, Nate got a little too close to Stern there for a while, then got a little too tournament-focused, then got busy selling guitars or something. But, for a couple of years, his podcast was close to perfect.
    KPP is excellent, but really only focused on new games, manufacturer drama, etc. IMHO, his is easily the best out there right now, but he’s only interested in a very narrow slice of the hobby.
    Someone should step up and create the next C2C...just clone it! Nate has shown you the way!

Just start your own. It's really easy. I do one of the longwinded ones that are really easy to produce, of course that is after running a hardline through my house to my basement so my internet was better, bought a new laptop that could handle several mics, bought several mics, paid for software for taking calls, purchasing enough headphones to record live and a recorder for an interface for the mics...and mixer...and headphone amp..all to provide free content. Podcasting is really not worth it, if you do it you do it for those that appreciate what you do and the way you do it. If you can't find one or two that you like you may just not be who podcast are catering to.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Just start your own. It's really easy. I do one of the longwinded ones that are really easy to produce, of course that is after running a hardline through my house to my basement so my internet was better, bought a new laptop that could handle several mics, bought several mics, paid for software for taking calls, purchasing enough headphones to record live and a recorder for an interface for the mics...and mixer...and headphone amp..all to provide free content. Podcasting is really not worth it, if you do it you do it for those that appreciate what you do and the way you do it. If you can't find one or two that you like you may just not be who podcast are catering to.

I definitely appreciate all the free content, and don’t mean to denigrate anyone for tons of thankless labor. And no, I’m not stepping up to do it myself, that is a fair point.

Taylor, I really like your voice. I would love to see what would happen if you were in a better format.

Just my opinion, intended as constructive criticism only. Nothing personal. Just feedback from an avid podcast listener.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I imagine because there's no real upside. Two issues at play:
    1) The population is small. From all analytics I've seen, the potential audience is well under 10,000 unique listeners. This volume is too small to be a noteworthy source of ad revenue.
    2) Cloning Nate's format means adhering to a structure and format designed by someone else, rather than getting to be creative.

If there was money in it, then I could imagine someone deciding to replicate the C2C format just for the paycheck. But since there isn't, the ask would be to give up one's own creative freedom in order to adhere to another person's vision. I'd find it pretty hard to stick with repeatedly doing that every week (especially since I think the show would always be compared to C2C but the clone would be identified as the 2nd-rate version).

Anyway, just my assumption as to why C2C2.0 never came to be.

#163 5 years ago

I don't mean an exact clone, of course. I just mean a show that has some of the best qualities of C2C, and other shows that have been successful. Brief, frequent, topical, preferably by someone who really knows what is going on in all aspects of the hobby. I don't really even care for interview segments. Based upon my favorites, I think I prefer the one-man-show format. I think there is plenty of room for creativity in a show with those general qualities.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

the best qualities of C2C, ...

Theresa probably isn't available for another podcast. Mrs. Pin should make her a WoMP.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I definitely appreciate all the free content, and don’t mean to denigrate anyone for tons of thankless labor. And no, I’m not stepping up to do it myself, that is a fair point.
    Taylor, I really like your voice. I would love to see what would happen if you were in a better format.
    Just my opinion, intended as constructive criticism only. Nothing personal. Just feedback from an avid podcast listener.

Recording with a host in another city has been an ongoing challenge and one that we have worked on. I think our biggest problem is just being too busy forcing us to record late, that leads to rambling and a lack of focus sometimes.

#166 5 years ago

I like the long format of TFP, but mostly because the hosts are likeable people. I appreciate what each brings to the table. I don’t always make it to the end of a show and it doesn’t bother me at all.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think our biggest problem is just being too busy forcing us to record late, that leads to rambling and a lack of focus sometimes.

I always assumed it was those potent VA craft brewskis.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I don't mean an exact clone, of course. I just mean a show that has some of the best qualities of C2C, and other shows that have been successful. Brief, frequent, topical, preferably by someone who really knows what is going on in all aspects of the hobby. I don't really even care for interview segments. Based upon my favorites, I think I prefer the one-man-show format. I think there is plenty of room for creativity in a show with those general qualities.

Why not just spend 10 minutes each week reading TWIP
    Sounds like this is what you want.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Why not just spend 10 minutes each week reading TWIP
    Sounds like this is what you want.

Maybe something like that is in the works...

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Maybe something like that is in the works...

Don't put us all out of business here Zach.
    My kids need to eat and all this crazy podcast money is essential to their future.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Don't put us all out of business here Zach.
    My kids need to eat and all this crazy podcast money is essential to their future.

Hahaha flood gates are open! So much money for the taking.

#172 5 years ago

No. It was a local fifth columnist propaganda piece that never made it past 2 episodes.

#173 5 years ago

I had to start at episode 43 with Pinball Profile bc episodes 1-42 were not available. Bummer.

#174 5 years ago

It's a bug with podcast garden
    You have to go on the website directly and stream it i believe

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

It's a bug with podcast garden

This and other podcast garden issues in this thread are examples of why I went with libsyn. Libsyn's platform has been rock solid for me for several years now.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I will try it.

One of the beauties of early C2C was that it was the perspective of a player/collector. An infatuation with discovering games and enjoying pinball for pinball. Spoke about the excitement of installing mods and buying new lights... wasn’t afraid to share a learning process about the history of pinball... and seemed interested in the magic of pinball.

There was a certain innocence.

In a lot of ways it echoed the beauty of the silverball podcast.

That changed some as tournament play became more of a topic, along with growing influence of more new games - which is all fine and good. But that ending really gave birth to podcasters really attacking the news/reporting side of things, not to mention mind numbing discussions about specific details having to do with tournament play.

I sure wish a pure collectors podcast would emerge. That’s the void that’s missing, IMO.

And Pinside should totally allow Chris’s show to be discussed. It has moments of being stellar. Kind of ironic that the guy gets lashed for crapping on people, yet there are Pinsiders that turn around and do the exact same thing to the same level of maturity and there’s zero repricussion.

#178 5 years ago

That will be deleted. I think the policy is to delete all threads related to him. Well that’s the case with all the positive ones anyway.

#179 5 years ago

Wow. I really can’t believe that thread is still up... and you’ve got someone actually suggesting that violence might be one avenue of community resolution or entertainment.

SMH.

Pinside has officially hit rock bottom. This community was such a cool place 4 or 5 years ago. It’s so divided and divisive now, full of anger and venom... it’s sad. Might be time for an extended vacation.

#180 5 years ago

Response to rascal h.

That would be to bad, and it was locked down rather quick. I posted a comment I knew he would see on the NYCPC antics, and of course on his show he whined and cries like a wounded little duck until folks that don't know his true agenda and nature think folks like me are the bad guy.

It's too bad there looks like no way to really rid the guy.

I am just sick of guys saying pinside is great BUT .....

And the reason they do is because of guys like him, you know the kind that would keep making fun of guys wanting to keep the bubble wrap on the legs or frame that first NIB JJP box.

Ever look at his old account ratings ??
    Or look at the topics he would start??
    Or how many times his topics that he designed where modderated and finally locked. That had to be one of the most toxic profiles I ever saw.

It would be wonderful to hear how many times he made dup or fake accounts just to reply to someone or start shit. How many hours of peoples time he has wasted trying to clean up shit he caused or having to modderate him.

And even if his own friends say well you kinda did deserve what ya got, it goes in one ear and out the other. And he will keep babbling until in his mind, thinks he's right and everything is OK.

I am so glad Robin and mod team has stood there ground as for many months I saw pinside getting really bad while he was around. For over a year he wasn't really gone, just new accounts and i find it hard to believe he still isn't on here.

Yes things get bad whenever he gets envolved, and as a marketer can spin a good story, skew facts, and make himself look like a psychic genius. Didn't I call it well didn't I. Dude has only ever stated what others have posted or are facts pretty much obvious to anyone with any gray matter between their ears.

It's to bad he's a bad egg. BUT...

I like pinside and pinball very much and this is kinda like MM castle which I am glad will not be invited to come into.

I hope to God he will find a new hobby and move on.

My pills,my pills, I can't find my pills. God I need a Tylenol!!

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Pinside has officially hit rock bottom. This community was such a cool place 4 or 5 years ago. It’s so divided and divisive now, full of anger and venom... it’s sad. Might be time for an extended vacation.

This is absolutely true.

If you are only paying attention to about five percent of what goes on in “the community.”

Shift your focus, and things won’t look nearly so bad.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Wow. I really can’t believe that thread is still up... and you’ve got someone actually suggesting that violence might be one avenue of community resolution or entertainment.
    SMH.

Pretty sure that's all tongue in cheek, man. I wouldn't take it seriously.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is absolutely true.
    If you are only paying attention to about five percent of what goes on in “the community.”

Exactly.

Negativity is everywhere in the world if you go looking for it.

Choose to read the positive threads, or go help somebody out in a tech thread, and Pinside becomes one of the best pinball resources available.

If certain voices in the hobby are bringing you down ... tune them out.

Lots of positivity happening in the hobby ... Levi (and team) hosted 150 players in NYC yesterday and I had 70 at my arcade as well. So many people doing positive things for the hobby.

Focus on those, and things look a bit more rosey.

rd

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

So many people doing positive things for the hobby.

As one of those who have had the pleasure of Rotordaves hospitality, I wholeheartedly agree. As Mr Burns once put it:

"Push out the jive, bring in the love"

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

As one of those who have had the pleasure of Rotordaves hospitality, I wholeheartedly agree. As Mr Burns once put it:
    "Push out the jive, bring in the love"

Thanks man.

I try my best.

rd

#187 5 years ago

edit: I'm removing this comment.

Added over 6 years ago: Someone asked why I pulled down the comment. Let's just say it was due to some new information and explanation provided by someone that I would consider to be reliable, trustworthy, and a friend. Sounds like more information will be coming to the forefront tomorrow...

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is absolutely true.

The tech threads are certainly the best. Tons of people out there that want to help you get your game running 100%. I've been on the receiving end of such hospitality. Members have spent hours on threads helping me troubleshoot my problems and I couldn't have done it without them. I try my best with my limited knowledge, to help others, but there are definitely people on here that know TONS more than I ever will. So to them, THANK YOU!!!

Ignore the hate on Pinside and it disappears. Pinsiders can be their own trolls...

2 weeks later
    #195 5 years ago

Do we really need another pinball podcast? Hell yeah we do! Introducing:

This Week In Pinball Podcast

Everyone’s favorite source for pinball news has just gone auditory! Help support the show. Soon to be on iTunes.

https://www.facebook.com/thisweekinpinball/posts/2172186643009776

1 week later
    #196 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Do we really need another pinball podcast? Hell yeah we do! Introducing:
    This Week In Pinball Podcast
    Everyone’s favorite source for pinball news has just gone auditory! Help support the show. Soon to be on iTunes.
    https://www.facebook.com/thisweekinpinball/posts/2172186643009776

Never mind, Jeff’s out....

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Never mind, Jeff’s out....

Shortest podcast ever

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Shortest podcast ever

shame as it was good!
    I think it had a legit shot at a TWIPY. I planned on making a few more google accounts just to vote for it

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Shortest podcast ever

You’re still stuck with me Ryan

Quoted from Whysnow:

shame as it was good!
    I think it had a legit shot at a TWIPY. I planned on making a few more google accounts just to vote for it

Thanks Hilton. This Week In Pinball Podcast would not have been eligible for a TWIPY unfortunately. As of now, the H2H guys are making a promising case for best pinball podcast of 2018, but I know of a couple others that equally deserve a shot at the TWIPY (Spooky Podcast, Pinball Profile, Slam Tilt, and Eclectic Gamers to name a few)

#200 5 years ago

I would love to see Hilton start a one man podcast, following some of the guidelines I mentioned above. He is smart, informed and connected. He is unafraid to be controversial. I think it would be very interesting.

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/definitive-pinside-pinball-podcast-list/page/4?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.