(Topic ID: 19906)

Definition of Shazam

By gdeleon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gomer_Pile_USMC_--_Shazam.jpg
    shazam-2-09.jpg
    SHAZAM01-S.JPG
    th_UncleKevin.jpg
    Kazaam_f.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I see threads where the word "Shazam" is used when someone does not like a price.

What is the definition of Shazam?

#2 11 years ago

Here's my definition of Kazaam!....close enough

Kazaam_f.jpgKazaam_f.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Its used by people whos very best pinball machine is Shaq Attaq!

#4 11 years ago

Shazaam was originally supposed to be the counter weight to price cheerleading as many of the people newer to the hobby or recently returned to the hobby felt they were getting really bad guidance from people on this website about what really was a good deal and what was a bad deal. Once these newer players realized they were being duped (and saw the people on other message boards laughing at them), Shazaam came into existence.

It played its part in stopping the ridiculous price cheerleading of bad prices, but it got a bit out of hand and realy annoyed some people (mostly the people that were doing the cheerleading due to them personally having large collections of the older the pins that were benfiting the most from the price cheerleading). Seems to be used much much less often now. I haven't used it in weeks myself and don't plan to use it more in the future unless something is laughable in my view.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from gdeleon:

I see threads where the word "Shazam" is used when someone does not like a price.

It's a word used when pinheads don't agree especially sell/buying threads...Its a crappy word and just saying....Good luck with sale or I think it's too high is good enough...This whole Shazzam is childish and stupid.

Just my thoughts...

#6 11 years ago

A loosely veiled way to rudely insinuate that someone has overpriced a game for sale.

#7 11 years ago

Shaq Attaq listed at 4k?!?! Well SHAZAAAAYAAAM! Wata deal! I wouldn't let mine go for 4x that!

I originally saw it used to describe people that do the above. I endorse it's use in this way, since for 15 years I've been looking for a good descriptor of said people.

#8 11 years ago

When you can't think of anything clever to say AND you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to a thread you type Shazzaaaammm.

Then you cross your arms, look into the mirror you keep by your desk and think to yourself "I'm friggin' funny man! Everybody is laughing at my post!"

#9 11 years ago

It points out when someone is trying to sell their pin for a recockulus price.

Tigerlaw summed it up pretty well. People got really sick of "price police" and started to complain so much that people layed off it a bit. Then a couple months went by and 4K whitewaters would show up and everyone would applaud the post aka "great price, wish I was closer." Shazaam seesm to be a compromise between price cheerleading, and sort of militant price policing where people badger the seller.

There was a big blowout thread aboot Shazaam so it slowed down...so I'll just price police like the old days i guess.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Then you cross your arms, look into the mirror you keep by your desk and think to yourself "I'm friggin' funny man! Everybody is laughing at my post!"

Now wait a minute...I actually do this!

#11 11 years ago

Linguistically, the word "SHAZAM" is comprised of a root morpheme and an infix. An infix is a small group of letters placed inside a word to create and additional syllable or syllables, for example, "Phila-f***ing-del-phi-a". Infixes are rare in English and don't change meaning much but reveal more the speaker's emphasis along with his intonation.

So, the infix is "ZA". Remove it and your meaning appears, "SHAM." In other words the poster is saying that the seller has the game at a price that is a rip off and feels very strongly about that!

This is one plausible etymology. Language is really cool as it changes constantly.

Dan

#12 11 years ago

A term used by lamers to describe a price on an item they don't like or agree with. See also crapping on for sale posts...

Andrew

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Linguistically, the word "SHAZAM" is comprised of a root morpheme and an infix. An infix is a small group of letters placed inside a word to create and additional syllable or syllables, for example, "Phila-f***ing-del-phi-a". Infixes are rare in English and don't change meaning much but reveal more the speaker's emphasis along with his intonation.
    So, the infix is "ZA". Remove it and your meaning appears, "SHAM." In other words the poster is saying that the selling has the game at a price that is a rip off.
    This is one plausible etymology. Language is really cool as it changes constantly.
    Dan

Dan!! You crazy Somma ma b#%^&....Heheh!!!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Dan!! You crazy Somma ma b#%^&....Heheh!!!

Mike:

I'll reply in a minute. I just have to finishing picking my nose first. You should see my keyboard!

Dan

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Mike:
    I'll reply in a minute. I just have to finishing picking my nose first. You should see my keyboard!
    Dan

Hahaha!!!!!

#16 11 years ago

Who ever created the word Shazaam please post why/how you came up with that word and explain to our fellow Pinsider's why...Thank You.

#17 11 years ago

I've been trying to find the original thread...but it was always my understanding it came into being for exactly how I, Tigerlaw, & taylorVA stated.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've been trying to find the original thread...but it was always my understanding it came into being for exactly how I, Tigerlaw, & taylorVA stated.

I know but I would like to hear it from the Man/creator himself and I think other Pinsiders would like to hear it also.

Just my 5 bucks worth.

I would say .02 cents but this hobby has gone higher than .02 cents

#20 11 years ago

pinballwizard was the creator. I'll look for his original post.

#21 11 years ago

I believe Rommy came up with it. Page 3 of this thread references it. Can;t find that original post though. Anyway, it was a good idea.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-police-shazam-and-you/page/3

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

A loosely veiled way to rudely insinuate that someone has overpriced a game for sale.

Exactly.

#23 11 years ago

Really don't know how it morphed here, but the word started out in the Captain Marvel comics. Billy Baxton would say the the word Shazam to transfer into Captain Marvel. It was an acronym that stood for Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury.

In the late 60's early 70's it was a phrase that Gomer Pyle used on his show. Every time something incredible happened, he would say, "Shazam" as his catch phrase. Too many people here are probably too young for that and the Andy Griffith Show in which he was a costar in.

Now on here it means the Shazam poster thinks the price is too high. Probably could be used as, "Shazam, that is an awesome price", but the Price Police have probably arrested all of the Price Cheerleaders. (That an you don't see too many super incredible deals listed.)

#24 11 years ago

Shazaam is used when someone doesn't want to type out a thesis/essay as to why they think the pin in question is overpriced.

#25 11 years ago

Price police word I am sure it was derived from the Shaq movie as stated a couple times above.

Someone should take a shaq attack and retheme it into a Shazam. Just for fun.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Who ever created the word Shazaam please post why/how you came up with that word and explain to our fellow Pinsider's why...Thank You.

It was me. Once again, I DID ask for other suggestions, like Isis, or maybe "my foot hurts", but no one came up with anything else. It was an LOTR that made me actually say the word out loud, I laughed at myself, and posted it. The machine in question was like hard pipe hitting crazy priced. You will recall I paid 3k for mine recently and promptly, within 250 yards, dumped it onto the road . There were several of us discussing in that thread how it was inappropriate to crap all over someone's thread, but how it was also unfair to take advantage of Pinsiders. A code word was needed. Shazaam!(tm) was born. I personally have no investment in the term or it's use, it was whimsy. However, I think it works. If you have a drive by seller, just hoping to cash in on us, they won't notice your innocuous Shazaam! post, or at the least will not know what it means. That way their seller feelings are not hurt and they do not have to read some long discussion on why their price is off.

edit: the actual reference for Shazaam! that came to mind at the time was the 1970's Saturday morning kids tv show of the same name, on right before Isis and Ark 2

#27 11 years ago

Time for David Letterman's Top 10 list...

"TOP 10 WAYS PINSIDERS REACT WHEN THEY SEE A PIN FOR MORE MONEY THAN THEY EXPECT!"

10. That doesn't look like "Collector's quality"
    9. SHAZAAM!
    8. What are you smokin?
    7. SHAZAAMWAY!
    6. Pinflation strikes again!
    5. SHAZAAMALAMMADINGDONG!
    4. (grumble grumble LOUD NOISES grumble grumble...)
    3. SHARAZOD (used for TOTAN overpricing)
    2. Heck, Ill sell my [insert name of pin] for [outrageous lie] since prices are going to stupid!!!11!!!eleven!!

...and the number one way PINSIDERS REACT WHEN THEY SEE A PIN FOR MORE MONEY THAN THEY EXPECT...

1. SSSSHHHAAAAAZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAM!

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from marcand:

!!!11!!!eleven!!

Still one of my favorite movies. Slap your momma funny. I love it when their manager just loses it!

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

It was me. Once again, I DID ask for other suggestions, like Isis, or maybe "my foot hurts", but no one came up with anything else. It was an LOTR that made me actually say the word out loud, I laughed at myself, and posted it. The machine in question was like hard pipe hitting crazy priced. You will recall I paid 3k for mine recently and promptly, within 250 yards, dumped it onto the road . There were several of us discussing in that thread how it was inappropriate to crap all over someone's thread, but how it was also unfair to take advantage of Pinsiders. A code word was needed. Shazaam!(tm) was born. I personally have no investment in the term or it's use, it was whimsy. However, I think it works. If you have a drive by seller, just hoping to cash in on us, they won't notice your innocuous Shazaam! post, or at the least will not know what it means. That way their seller feelings are not hurt and they do not have to read some long discussion on why their price is off.
    edit: the actual reference for Shazaam! that came to mind at the time was the 1970's Saturday morning kids tv show of the same name, on right before Isis and Ark 2

Thanks for explaining all that and whoever asks what that means just point him to this thread.

#30 11 years ago

I prefer the Pinfester scale.

I like and would buy at this price.
    Maybe a little high but if in great condition I would consider it.

This is the definition of Shazam.

th_UncleKevin.jpgth_UncleKevin.jpg

#31 11 years ago

I didn't know it was rommy ?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Haha!! same here that's why I asked for the person who came up with the word to please post.

#33 11 years ago

My definition of Shazaam is:

"Pinball prices are high enough and I don't have enough money to buy these games I like that are selling for so much. You may get the price of this sale, but I'm annoyed because this pin seems to me like it should go for less. While it's none of my business what someone else does with his property, I need to speak up against this sale because I just can't mind my own business."

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I need to speak up against this sale because I just can't mind my own business."

Haha...minding your own business. Classic.

#35 11 years ago

I know . But how the hell could I have known it would take on this weird thread inducing life? I really thought it would just be ignored. On the other hand, I still like using it for drive by sellers with big $$ in their eyes. Plus, who listens to me? I am a newbie. I don't think it is "that" polarizing an issue, some people really like/dislike price commentary. I see both sides. Being new I hate paying too much just because I am new/have less experience with pricing. Pinside really helped me out with that when I bought my first few machines.

#36 11 years ago

A few thoughts from me. Linguistically, the word "SHAZAM" many times is comprised of a root morpheme and also an infix. For those wondering, an infix is a relatively small group of letters placed inside a word to create and additional syllable or syllables, here is an example, "Phila-f***ing-del-phi-a". Infixes are kind of rare in English and don't change meaning very much but reveal more the speaker's emphasis along with his intonation.

So, the infix is "ZA". Remove it and your meaning appears, "SHAM." In other words the poster is saying that the seller has the game at a price that is a rip off and feels very strongly about that!

This is one plausible etymology. Language is really cool as it changes constantly. Just my 2 cents guys/gals

PBD

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My definition of Shazaam is:
    "Pinball prices are high enough and I don't have enough money to buy these games I like that are selling for so much. You may get the price of this sale, but I'm annoyed because this pin seems to me like it should go for less. While it's none of my business what someone else does with his property, I need to speak up against this sale because I just can't mind my own business."

Let's see, since the coiner of the term can afford to launch pins off the back of trucks anytime he wants, the term wasn't coined out of price frustration. Although it probably is used by those who cannot afford what games are going for or got into the game late, so what? I do not like feeling like I cannot afford something. I would love a 69 GTO vert, but at 50K for a nice one, I cannot afford that.

Why the need to be so condescending?

Someone once said, "Physician, heal thyself." In other words, practice what you preach. We should all try to follow our own advice.

Dan

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

A few thoughts from me. Linguistically, the word "SHAZAM" many times is comprised of a root morpheme and also an infix. For those wondering, an infix is a relatively small group of letters placed inside a word to create and additional syllable or syllables, here is an example, "Phila-f***ing-del-phi-a". Infixes are kind of rare in English and don't change meaning very much but reveal more the speaker's emphasis along with his intonation.
    This is one plausible etymology. Language is really cool as it changes constantly. Just my 2 cents guys/gals
    PBD

PBD,

You changed the content somewhat, so I guess it's not really plagiarism. Is it irony, sarcasm, mockery? Or have I already answered my own question?

Dan

#39 11 years ago

Actually it was out of respect I wish I could have created such a response on my own

GJ

#40 11 years ago

I didn't know it was rommy?

Ditto. Grab the pitchforks!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

Actually it was out of respect I wish I could have created such a response on my own
    GJ

Thanks, but although it is a perfectly good explanation, it was totally off the mark and had nothing to do with how it really came about. Really more of a coincidence with the word "sham." Rommy could have chosen "KAPOW", and then it would have been totally arbitrary. Pundits sound great, but often are way off base like I was. Plausability is one thing; reality another!

D'OHDan

#42 11 years ago

Now we all know; and knowing is half the battle.

#43 11 years ago

DC Comics???

SHAZAM01-S.JPGSHAZAM01-S.JPG

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Now we all know; and knowing is half the battle.

Other half being nuking the people using it from orbit.

Only way to be sure.

#45 11 years ago

Not really a big deal who came up with it anyway and will most likely be forgotten about in the not too distant future.
    What wont go away is the image of that Saturday TV show from the 1970s....

shazam-2-09.jpgshazam-2-09.jpg

#46 11 years ago

Shazam:

invented word from "Captain Marvel" comics, 1940.

Later popularized by Gomer Pyle USMC:

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2012-07-08_2370460043816928/tv/andy/shazam2.wav

Gomer_Pile_USMC_--_Shazam.jpgGomer_Pile_USMC_--_Shazam.jpg

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Ditto. Grab the pitchforks!

That comment right there just gave you 100,091 white rocks in your basket =-)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/definition-of-shazam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.