6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm trying to make sure I have the right understanding of some common pinball terms outside of what's covered on the IPDB glossary. I've tried to find old discussions here and on RGP about some poorly defined terms, but I haven't found much. I'm hoping this thread can be a good resource for the future.

Below are a few words that I am particularly curious about. Please help me define them, correct me if I'm wrong, and suggest other words to be added to the list. I'll keep the top level post updated!

Edits from here down.

Collector quality
    A controversial term, possibly meaning any of the following: totally original condition, restored, very good condition, good condition, ...

Home use only (HUO)
    Literally, a game was never placed on location. Implies that a machine was never abused and was cared for, but does not strictly say anything about condition.

Player's game
    1. Referring to the condition of a game, it means gameplay is functionally good or excellent, although there may be some cosmetic blemishes. It probably implies that a machine is not collector quality, in that you could put hundreds of games on it and it won't decrease the value like you could on a game with super low plays.
    2. Referring to a model of game, it means that an experienced or serious player would enjoy the game, while poor/mediocre players may dislike it because it's too unforgiving or complicated. Example player's games: TSPP.

Routed game
    Literally, a game was placed on location, meaning it may have taken some abuse or been neglected. Does not strictly say anything about condition.

Shooter's game
    A game with tight, unforgiving shots that will be enjoyed by skilled players but may be disliked by poor/mediocre players. Example shooter's games: LOTR. Example non-shooters games: SS.

#2 6 years ago

shooters game usually refers to a machine with very tight, hard to make shots and when you don't make these narrow shots, you pay for your misses.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from perryd:

shooters game usually refers to a machine with very tight, hard to make shots and when you don't make these narrow shots, you pay for your misses.

It could as refer to a game with lots of targets (drop, standup, etc.)...think EM.

--Luke

#4 6 years ago

Here you go:

Collector Quality
    A term you use when selling, but not when buying.

Home Use Only
    See Collector Quality, above.

Player's Game
    A term you use when buying a game, but not when selling.

Routed Game
    See Player's Game, above.

--Luke

P.S. I actually think your definitions are pretty right on. I've seen "Player's Game" used most often like your definition 1.

#5 6 years ago

In terms of buying and selling, a Player's Game usually refers to the condition of the game. It's when the gameplay is fine or even excellent, but cosmetically is fair, lacking or plain ugly. A person looking for a player's game is less concerned with how the game looks versus how the game plays, or what mods were added (unless they enhance the play somehow).

In other contexts it means that serious players would like the game. For example, "Simpson's Pinball Party is definitely a player's game. Newbies and casual players likely won't get it because it's too complicated for them."

#6 6 years ago

Yep...."shooters game": A game with tight shots. Favored by skilled players and often maligned by poor/mediocre players.

LOTR is a nice example of a "shooters pin".....although it's universally loved due to the fantastic theme integration.

SS is a nice example of a "non-shooters pin" AKA - It's easy.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Player's game
    1. Referring to the condition of a game, this seems like a weasel word meaning "not collector quality", implying that you can play it a lot without dropping it's value like you may by putting hundreds of games on a machine with very low plays.

I agree with this assessment, but not the weasel word part. I think this describes game that's not CQ, but isn't trashed either. For example I recently sold a Fish Tales that had a beautiful cabinet, but the usual insert wear and a small divot in the playfield. I considered that to be a player's game. My Comet project that had ball swirl marks everywhere and significant wear through the paint was poor condition, and therefore not a player's game.

#8 6 years ago

As opposed to a game with "shooters" (see JD traffic jam mode, ie-"move your car").

#9 6 years ago

I just edited the top post. Sorry if I've ruined the context for any of your comments.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 209.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 299.00
    $ 30.00
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 25.50
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 92.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 219.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 229.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside