I bought this game in june 2016 from a very gentle Pinside member in the US. It's by far the most expensive game in my collection. The previous owner had got it restored in may 2015. Cabinet had been redone, all assemblies had been revised, or replaced, there's lots of new parts as well, but most important: it had a perfect NOS playfield. I doubt that the previous owner played the game a lot since its restoration, because it still looked like new when it arrived at my place.
I reckon it got some 200 plays since, but I stopped playing it about a year or so. The reason: the NOS playfield starts showing too much damage already.
And that's where I don't understand the previous restorers. They did such a great job on the cabinet and the assemblies, but neglected the most vulnerable part of the game: the playfield. What were they thinking (or not thinking). Of course it would get damaged if left unprotected, the question not being whether it would happen, but when. And I must admit that I'm surprised myself how fast playfield damage happens.
An overview. There's some mild planking, mostly visible in the black areas.
There's substantial insert bordering.
Paint chipping off on drop target holes
'Is that all damage there is', you might ask. Yes, that's about it. Perhaps you think that I'm overreacting, but my point is that all this damage could have been avoided if they would have walked the extra mile and had properly protected the playfield before populating it.
It simply makes me sad to see all paint gone where posts sat.
My plan: fix the current damage and protect it to prevent more damage in the future by clearcoating the playfield.
Obviously I have to remove everything from the upper side, but the idea is to keep the bottom side as populated as possible as there's no point in completely stripping it. This is without doubt one of most populated, and as a consequence one of the heaviest playfields in pinball history, so I decided to unsolder all metal assemblies, and added connectors to the drop down assemblies, which will make future servicing easier.
OK. Weight has been brought back to acceptable proportions . Next I have to finish depopulating the top and will then apply a first layer of protective clearcoat.
I'll keep you posted