6729C4B8-BE1A-42A1-B458-C44E6CB02685 (resized).jpeg
7F4493A3-7B4F-4729-9AD5-F41488881E7E (resized).jpeg
2D208096-BE9C-4699-893E-328AD21B56D2 (resized).jpeg
4B8FD074-D379-42CF-907B-9241F67FDE3C (resized).jpeg
1377B4C7-9C00-43DC-9C1A-2260856116AF (resized).jpeg
40D742D0-6B74-46DE-BAF5-B2C0E4F0BBEE (resized).jpeg
F76129C0-2C0A-451E-9D0C-DA098A684E42 (resized).jpeg
Defendermicro-switch (resized).jpg
Defender Solenoid test.pdf (PDF preview)
20200731_100557 (resized).jpg
20200731_100602 (resized).jpg
20200731_100502 (resized).jpg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 8 years ago

Can you upload them to my FTP? Or dropbox? Or drop them in the mail on a USB stick?

Actually Gmail has a 25MB limit...if you compress them VIA win.rar...winzip...whatever...they might be small enough to email

Quoted from kbliznick:

It's 12 seperate 25mb scans, so the files are too big for PM or email. I'd like to have someone actually do this and send me the full file. I have sent scans off for this and and the backglass several times and have yet had anybody actually finish it.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

I have a n.o.s. backglass. never installed. If somebody local wants to scan it\take pix etc. you are more than welcome...

Would you ever consider selling it?

1 week later
#53 8 years ago

Just an update..
Kbliznick did get me the NOS PF scans and even the Proto back glass.

I've confirmed with John Greatwich that if the art work is provided..he can direct print the PF at his current rate of $500 returned. The only PF I've seen from him was a Sorcerer that looks amazing

So we might have a source for reasonably priced PF restores

#54 8 years ago

Just lowered my price on my defender pinball to 2,700.00 or best offer. I got to sell it to make room for my new kiss pin. Ed. Pictures are in the market place.

#55 8 years ago

Defender is suffering from a lack of movies on Youtube... It would be great if someone could take an hour and play a few games and let us see a good multi-ball game in action.

I still don't understand what the big red clear spot is in the middle of the table.

-mof

#56 8 years ago

Sold my defender. Just picked up a time fantasy. I would like to get a warlock to complete the pinball pizazz trio

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Sold my defender. Just picked up a time fantasy. I would like to get a warlock to complete the pinball pizazz trio

Got all 3! Doubt if any of them will ever leave! Time Fantasy (acid snail) is a great game, and Warlok (same basic PF layout as Blackout) is a great game as well. Defender is one that takes some getting used to...but cool too!

Phoebe

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Just an update..
Kbliznick did get me the NOS PF scans and even the Proto back glass.
I've confirmed with John Greatwich that if the art work is provided..he can direct print the PF at his current rate of $500 returned. The only PF I've seen from him was a Sorcerer that looks amazing
So we might have a source for reasonably priced PF restores

I would be interested.

#59 8 years ago

I *finally* got in some quality time on a Defender.
I had no idea what the rules were (I never do when I play pinball -- I'm more of a "geometry/layout" player/evaluator than a rule-critic.
Defender is quite a gem. I put it right up there with Black Knight and Barracora as one of the top-3 early Solid State Williams ever made.
I look forward to learning the rules and playing Defender again some day -- preferably in my home.
-mof

#60 8 years ago

I have a Defender and i like it , but i really prefer Barry O's Solar fire. that is also a great game.

#61 8 years ago
#62 8 years ago

Thanks for posting the rules.
I've read them 3x, and I'm a little bit closer to understanding the rules, but still have questions.

* Under the "landers" section, you say that 15 drop targets will appear at random -- but I thought there were 10 drop targets?
* What do the standups behind the drops represent/what are they used for?
* are all 3 middle-PF drops "baiters"?
* what the heck is reverse?
* are swarmers the two standups on top-right?

looking here as a reference.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=651&picno=64049&zoom=1

-mof

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Under the "landers" section, you say that 15 drop targets will appear at random -- but I thought there were 10 drop targets?

You are correct, there are only 10. but they keep coming up until you hit fifteen of them. don't think of them as banks of 5, they all start in the down position, and pop up as the landers show up.

Quoted from mof:

What do the standups behind the drops represent/what are they used for?

the standups behind the landers come into play if you don't hit the landers in time, and they turn into mutants. when this happens (when the inserts representing each standup start to flash), you have to hit the drop and the standup to get rid of the mutants. I could be slightly off here. You can use the bombs to kill the landers, but not mutants.

Quoted from mof:

what the heck is reverse?

reverse is the manual ball save on the left outlane

Quoted from mof:

are swarmers the two standups on top-right?

Yes, two standups on the upper right, and a third is a switch behind the rubber ring below the two standups.

#64 8 years ago

* Thanks, that was helpful -- what is the top left area with two inlane targets? is there a final standup behind them?
-mof

#65 8 years ago

Question -- why did you choose to post on that external site?
-mof

#66 8 years ago

always happy to support game sites.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

what is the top left area with two inlane targets? is there a final standup behind them?

the inline drops activate the swarmer standups on the right. if you activate both sets of swarmers (hit both inline drops), and destroy all the swarmers, the right outlane gate opens so you can save your ball to the shooter lane.

Yes, there is a final standup behind the inline drops. when lit, it instantly starts multiball when hit if there are any balls locked. Also, if you have 10x multiplier and you hit this standup, you advance 3 levels instantly. this is my favorite shot in the game, and usually my main goal when i get close to 10x.

#68 8 years ago

Here is a link to the rules in the operators handbook i posted on pinside a while back.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-a-defender-pinball#post-2093444

#69 8 years ago

Can I ask a few of you lucky fellas to post a fun video of a good game of Defender? There are only 2 good pinball videos in the known universe on Defender, and I'd much rather have one come from someone I can interact with and ask a few questions.

Making a pin vid is fun, easy, and rewarding...
-mof

This is all that's out there! (one is too dark and low-res, and the other is way too loud... I know you can do better!)

#70 8 years ago

Q: what happens if you lose all your humanoids? Does it go into space mode like the vid?
-mof

1 week later
#71 8 years ago

Q: What's the best single shot to make during multiball? What are the best goals to focus on during MB?
-mof

#72 8 years ago

Just an update on the PF art. I've got the scans stitched and started correcting the art. There are a total of 13 scans (and parts of a 14th) that makeup the PF. I have over 12 hours into just one of those scans correcting horrible registry issues...and border lines that are no where near straight. Any blues were so poorly screened that they all showed white through. Almost like they didn't use enough ink...those all had to be redrawn by hand. Also the PF had terrible planking that needs correcting.

It's gonna be a time consuming process..but will be worth it in the end

1 week later
#73 8 years ago

Hi All,

I've had a Defender for about 10 years, just recently got it running. I had a new cabinet made, sent the pf out to Brian at HSA (fantastic job), and rebuilt the boards myself. This game was in my booth at Pintastic New England, perhaps some of you got to play it. It has a strange issue. When there is a ball in the lockup area and the current ball drains, the game ejects the ball from the lockup, but also serves a ball to the shooter lane. This seems wrong to me. Can any of you fine Defender owners confirm this behavior? I have gone through all the diagnostics (Including the very cool extended solenoid test), and all coils and switches are working properly and in the right place. I have checked all the wiring several times, and the expander relay checks out, too.

Thanks a bunch!
Allan
Ardvark Pinball Repair

1 month later
#74 8 years ago

I will be bringing my Defender to the York show in October, for anybody in the area wants to play it!

http://www.theyorkshow.com/

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

Hi All,
I've had a Defender for about 10 years, just recently got it running. I had a new cabinet made, sent the pf out to Brian at HSA (fantastic job), and rebuilt the boards myself. This game was in my booth at Pintastic New England, perhaps some of you got to play it. It has a strange issue. When there is a ball in the lockup area and the current ball drains, the game ejects the ball from the lockup, but also serves a ball to the shooter lane. This seems wrong to me. Can any of you fine Defender owners confirm this behavior? I have gone through all the diagnostics (Including the very cool extended solenoid test), and all coils and switches are working properly and in the right place. I have checked all the wiring several times, and the expander relay checks out, too.
Thanks a bunch!
Allan
Ardvark Pinball Repair

It's in the lock switches.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#76 8 years ago

So, what's the best strategy for Defender, especially -- what's the best thing to go for during Multiball? Is there a score 2x 3x during MB?

-mof

#77 8 years ago

Mof,you'll have a defender real soon. Ed

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

what's the best strategy for Defender

This is a good question. I don't believe there are any multipliers in effect during multiball. I don't fully understand all the rules, but here is what I try to do.

My first strategy is to try and get the outlane saves enabled. Next, is to get multiball and work through the waves and bonus multiplier. when I max out the bonus multiplier (10x) i go for the warp target behind the pods (inline drops) to warp 3 levels.

Enable Outlane Saves
The left kickback is enabled at the start of a game, but if you use it, you need to complete the bombers (top inlanes) to re-enable it. This is usually the first thing i go for after using the kickback.

The right outlane gate can be openend by hitting both pods (inline drops) first, and then hitting all lit swarmers (upper right standups). Smart Bombs clear swarmers, so I usually try to hit the inline drops, and then use a bomb to kill the swarmers and immediately open the right outlane gate.

Smart Bombs
It's usually good to make sure you have at least one open bomb to earn, because you can't earn more if you are maxed out (3). To make efficient use of Smart Bombs, I try to hit both inline drops, and at least 5 of the side drops, so when I use the smart bomb, in completes the wave and opens the right outlane gate in one shot.

gabe³

#79 8 years ago

My strategy is to go for warp. It's the coolest feature! I do this by focusing on the top lanes during the early waves. The top lanes advance the orange bonus multiplier. When it reaches 10X, warp is lit at the top left standup target. You have to drop the two pods first. When the ball is in the top lanes, you have to keep using lane change while guessing which lane the pop bumpers might push the ball into. I don't try for multiball, but when it happens, I use it to mash the drop targets and get to later waves. There is no objective in multiball and no scoring multiplier.

To open the right-hand gate, complete both waves of swarmers. This is easy to do with a smart bomb if both pods have already been opened (targets dropped).

There are 15 landers per wave. Keep track of them while playing. Don't just slam the smart bomb on a drain. If all the landers aren't out yet, then you have to start the wave over on the next ball, and you've wasted the smart bomb.

My best game so far is around 4.4 Million. I warped twice and got to wave 23. At that level, the drop targets and baiters are in constant motion. It sounds like 6 games, all doing ball search, all at once.

The problem with my game turned out to be the solenoid selector relay. I replaced it with a different style one that I stole off of an old Laser War playfield, works great now.

I love this game, but I do seem to hit the wall when the game thinks I have had enough. Lots of scores in the 2M - 3M range. Even more scores under 1M.

Allan

#80 8 years ago

What are the best settings for home play?
I usually set things factory (medium), and then sometimes tweak a timing setting up or down...
-mof

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Mof,you'll have a defender real soon. Ed

I'll just leave this here. I drove to the NAVL hub to pick it up, wasn't going to wait another 3 days - F that.
-mof

201509_DEF-arrival4.jpg201509_DEF-arrival4.jpg

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'll just leave this here. I drove to the NAVL hub to pick it up, wasn't going to wait another 3 days - F that.
-mof
201509_DEF-arrival4.jpg

Did you get one! Congrats!

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Did you get one! Congrats!

From Fast-Ed, yep yep... thanks man!
-mof

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I drove to the NAVL hub to pick it up, wasn't going to wait another 3 days - F that.

Good choice, congrats! I like games that are unique, and Defender fits the bill and is a very good game. Based on your collection and pm's we've had in the past, we have very similar tastes in pinball. So, I think you will like defender!

Post your thoughts after you have played a few games.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Vector:

My best game so far is around 4.4 Million. I warped twice and got to wave 23. At that level, the drop targets and baiters are in constant motion. It sounds like 6 games, all doing ball search, all at once.

You sir are the one to make a gameplay video! my best is 2.7 Million and level 12.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Quoted from mof:

-mof

Mof, l hope everything worked out for you. I'm glad it went to a good home. I just couldn't resist kiss. I'll be picking up my premium on Monday.

#87 8 years ago

Trying out different color combos. I like adding some brightness to the top half of the PF with insert LEDs. Bottom half I tend to keep 44 to keep the brightness down, and remove flicker near the flippers. Up top, it really works. Swarmers *are* red in the game, and the bombs, are white in the game, but I had to give *something* blue, and it made the most sense. It makes it easier to realize, "I need to use these up" when they are blue.

What do you think? (we know the red LEDs don't come through in online pics, but -- they are bright red, and look very neat when activated. I've been using my smart bombs on the swarmers.

-mof

201509_DEF-blue-and-red.jpg201509_DEF-blue-and-red.jpg

#88 8 years ago

If I get adventurous I'd like to make all 13 lander inserts cold-white to create even more contrast. The bottom section stays 44 no matter what to manage brightness near the flippers. 47s even better... (but there's so much crap in the way to do the 13 landers, it might be a "while"...

I'm thinking the drops for the landers in the middle of the PF should have reflective tape on them, they are REALLY hard to see in the dark. I'll buy some online and report back.

-mof

#89 8 years ago

Looking good Mof!

I put color changers in for the Bombs to make them stand out. I am not a fan of the skittles look leds tend to give, so I put warm white leds under green inserts in most games, it creates a more warm green like the original.

I actually like the fact that you can't see the baiters (middle drops) without looking for them. Adds an element of surprise, and for some reason i kinda like lining up a shot and having it rejected back down my throat when i don't remember to look. It doesn't usually drain, so you can recover.

For some reason, the two outside red bomber lane guides bothered me because red would show through the artwork. I used clear ones for those two, and now you don't see that.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

For some reason, the two outside red bomber lane guides bothered me because red would show through the artwork. I used clear ones for those two, and now you don't see that.

I don't follow.

#91 8 years ago

If you look at the plastics to the left and right of the bomber lanes, the red from the lane guide bleeds through the artwork. I circled the areas in this pic.

defender_pf.jpgdefender_pf.jpg

#92 8 years ago

Right I did my under-plastic lamps in warm white. That's how I set up Sorcerer and Firepower.
-mof

#93 8 years ago

I played a defender this weekend and instantly loved it. I might try to look for one of my own in the very near future

#94 8 years ago

What scores humanoid multiplier?
What scores bonus multiplier?

-mof

#95 8 years ago

The humanoid multiplier (orange) is advanced by the top lanes. The bonus multiplier (green) is advanced by completing waves.

#96 8 years ago

awesome lighting updates & congratz for getting your Defender
welcome to the club

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

awesome lighting updates & congratz for getting your Defender
welcome to the club

Ty - still can't believe I'm in the club...
-mof

1 week later
#98 8 years ago

20+ hours into the restore. I think it's time for a movie.
Give me a few minutes...
-mof

#99 8 years ago

Oh man, don't leave us hanging.

I've got the popcorn ready.
Roll the film.

#100 8 years ago

Ok, so the movie is about 6:12 in length. The SD card filled up and the movie shuts off just before...

before ?!!?

I failed!

So there's no big heroic shot of me hitting the upper left target, when everything was lined up perfectly to make the BIGGEST shot in the game. Never happened...

Final score was 2,079,000 and wave-5. (about my 4th best score to date)

* I've got the glass off to reduce glare
* I've got the sound down so you can hear how nice that waxed wooden surface sounds
* humanoid bulbs 2 and 4 are still flaky/weak. I'll need to work on 'em
* Bottom two flippers were just rebuilt with new parts (-solenoids) and WPC-era springs and grommets to limit range of motion (I hate easy-trap flippers)
* Took me about 10 warm up games of 2 minutes in length to hit this good game of 6.5 minutes.

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monrovia, MD
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/defender-club-fans-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.