(Topic ID: 221901)

deeproot Job Posting - Technical Scripter

By deeproot

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

#2 5 years ago

Do you offer profit sharing or require mandatory drug testing? Also do you provide a company car and paid vacations?

I'd also be interested in your pension plan.

#3 5 years ago

As per company policy, all discussions involving those topics would be private.

--Robert / dT

#4 5 years ago

Deeproot will dominate pinball industry soon.

#5 5 years ago

I hope you get your guy then. I'm certainly not him.

I wouldn't want to interview a company that states what they want, but refuses to say what they are offering in return.

Good luck

#6 5 years ago

You wouldn't want me anyway. I have a habit of sleeping until noon.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

We will only respond to applicants who closely match the background and duties requested.

Sad what has happened in the world today, that a company can't even bother with a response that says "thanks, but we do think you are the right fit for the job', as if that is so hard to do. Sure I guess if someone who drives a garbage truck blasts out resumes for every job they see, wether qualified or not, may not be deserving of a response, but if someone believes they are a legit candidate, takes time to write a cover letter and send a CV, then be nice to spend the 10 seconds to reply back vs leaving them hanging.

Having said that recently learned that it is now becoming common for someone to accept a job and than not show up on the the first day of work if they found something better.

Common courtesy a casualty of the internet and social media age -- for no legitimate reason.

#8 5 years ago

Here's the part that gets me--

Quoted from deeproot:

* No private messages or phone calls please.

Quoted from deeproot:

I'm not the guy for the job, but even if I was, I would be so turned off by this job posting, that I'd probably look to find another line of work.

#9 5 years ago

Guys this is pretty common for job postings. Sure there's a bit of Deeproot cockiness, but details about benefits and compensation are typically not discussed publicly. Sure they are opening up to public questions like that by posting on a public forum, but don't get all pissy about it.

#10 5 years ago

If you do test for drugs, what type of drugs that may or may not be in my system are deal Breakers?
    Also, do you have room for my therapy peacock at my workstation?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

details about benefits and compensation are typically not discussed publicly.

Really?
    https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/careers/employee-perks.html

#12 5 years ago

WHERES THE CODE?!?!

When I decided to buy 5 different deep root games at the next TPF I assumed they’d have some code monkeys already working on making this feverish dream a reality!

Aren’t there any washed up 90s guys they can snag off the street?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Aren’t there any washed up 90s guys they can snag?

It would probably have to be somebody desperately in need of money and willing to take whatever they can get.

#14 5 years ago

Can you give me specifics to any of those general "perks" listed on their website?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Can you give me specifics to any of those general "perks" listed on their website?

Make New Friends-
    Laugh and have fun with the great people you’ll be working shoulder to shoulder with.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from spoke:

Having said that recently learned that it is now becoming common for someone to accept a job and than not show up on the the first day of work if they found something better.

Had it happen where I used to work several times. Even better was the one who started and quit before the end of the first day. He realized that his supervisor was a complete A-hole. That person was fired only a few weeks later....

#17 5 years ago

Hey maybe the job will be a super win for someone. If there’s coding involved at a startup and you’re not getting primo stock/rsu/equity/whatever, you’re doing it wrong.

#18 5 years ago

I have 20 years of coding experience in areas with far more sophistication but I also have pre-conceived notions about pinball development, I’m disqualified.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

--Robert / dT

Typical case of a wrong method for sourcing passionate candidates for a niche recruitment operation. You should really consider the human factor when recruiting engineers in these days of scarce available talents for most of them are already hired and understand that you need to sell your company at least as much as a candidate needs to sell his skills.

#20 5 years ago

Pro Tip

During an interview always ask the hiring manager if there’s an open bar at the annual Christmas party

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Pro Tip
    During an interview always ask the hiring manager if there’s an open bar at the annual Christmas party

Or the HR person, if they are anything higher than a "generalist".

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Typical case of a wrong method for sourcing passionate candidates for a niche recruitment operation. You should really consider the human factor when recruiting engineers in these days of scarce available talents for most of them are already hired and understand that you need to sell your company at least as much as a candidate needs to sell his skills.

and posts like this is why the manufacturers stay away from hobby forums... You are interested or not.. if so, discuss with them... not judge and 'correct' them here.

FFS people... contact them or not... not be the peanut gallery here and ruin it for everyone.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

and posts like this is why the manufacturers stay away from hobby forums..

I wondered about that. If they have any other job openings that might interest some people here. They may avoid posting them here.

LTG : (

#24 5 years ago

I would think this would be a dream job for someone trying to get their foot in the door with a pinball company! It’s not like there are a wide range of available jobs if you are trying to “live the Dream”. Plus, Texas is a great state with friendly people and a low cost of living. I think many of us wish we had the qualifications needed to take the leap. Good luck, Deeproot! I’m looking forward to seeing the games you will have to offer!

-a teacher who wishes I had more programming skills

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

and posts like this is why the manufacturers stay away from hobby forums... You are interested or not.. if so, discuss with them... not judge and 'correct' them here.
    FFS people... contact them or not... not be the peanut gallery here and ruin it for everyone.

I really didn't write that with the intention of judging anyone. I'm a professional recruiter in the real world, I work in the Bay Area and hire engineers. In years my job has shifted from finding the right candidate to finding the right candidate AND convince him to join.

So this ware more about sharing experience than teaching a lesson.

#26 5 years ago

So, let me get this straight.

The OP of this thread chose to blatantly ignore the rules that the rest of pinside has to follow by not putting his ad in the marketplace where he would have the option to link it to a thread where both positive and negative feedback can be posted, and now that some have posted in regards to what seems like a couple of very arrogant posts, some of you have a problem with that?

Talk about peanut gallery!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

* Very Favorable - Some knowledge of pinball software development and pinball design

Quoted from deeproot:

* Unfavorable - Pre-conceived notions about pinball development, or work with another pinball manufacturer

Good luck!

#28 5 years ago

Robert has thick skin and won't be deterred by jokes or negatives here. Placing the ad on Pinside might just locate that passionate person. Sounds like a cool job for someone. The person hired will be a first of his kind and they can blaze their own trail as they ride this steer while vying to become a City Slicker.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The OP of this thread chose to blatantly ignore the rules that the rest of pinside has to follow by not putting his ad in the marketplace

If the position gets filled by this posting, does he also need to throw some cabbage Robin's way?

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

If the position gets filled by this posting, does he also need to throw some cabbage Robin's way?

Depends on how pinside wants to enforce or interpret it's own rules I guess.

I'm wondering why the mods didn't just shut this one down when it started.

They are usually Johnny on the spot whenever anybody else does it.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from deeproot:

BACKGROUND
    * Required - At least two (2) years of IT, programming, scripting, and/or software design / for-hire or in a corporate environment
    * Required - At least one (1) year coding or development in GO, C/C++, JS/Java, or similar software environment
    * Very Favorable - Some knowledge of pinball software development and pinball design (coding, embedded systems, ball-component interaction, animations, media controls, etc.)
    * Favorable - Some experience with media development (Premiere, Maya, After Effects, etc.)

Not applying because I am not wanting to move, but as someone who actually mets these requirements I wonder how many developers have media experience. In the last 5 years I know of one other besides myself. He started off working for his father doing CG for films. I on the other hand got my bs and ms in new media before realizing that the industry is not nearly as cushy as being a code monkey.

Then add in the desire for someone with pinball knowledge? Sounds like a unicorn.

Quoted from o-din:

Depends on how pinside wants to enforce or interpret it's own rules I guess.
    I'm wondering why the mods didn't just shut this one down when it started.
    They are usually Johnny on the spot whenever anybody else does it.

JJP had a similar posting a few years ago that was up for awhile. I remember showing it to coworkers at the time and even getting a pm to submit my application (I didn't) despite not using the particular language they were looking for.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

JJP had a similar posting a few years ago that was up for awhile.

That might have been before pinside started the new rule where all ads must be posted in the marketplace before a thread can be added.

Usually they are really quick to lock the thread when that happens and advise the OP.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That might have been before pinside started the new rule where all ads must be posted in the marketplace before a thread can be added.
    Usually they are really quick to lock the thread when that happens and advise the OP.

I know you have an axe to grind here... but its not hard for the unbiased to realize the difference in approach to a JOB posting in a pinball community... vs selling product.

If we were talking about opportunities that came up 20 times a week.. I'm sure they'd reconsider. Until this... this horse just keeps making you look bitter.

#34 5 years ago

Well, if my brother ever gets tired of coding for Google and wants to move to someplace crappy for less pay, I'll forward this to him.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I know you have an axe to grind here... but its not hard for the unbiased to realize the difference in approach to a JOB posting in a pinball community... vs selling product.

I have no axe to grind.

The dude could have posted his help wanted ad in the marketplace if he didn't want to respond to questions raised in a thread.

Which obviously he has no intention of doing.

But instead he's getting all these free bumps. So what's the problem?

#36 5 years ago

Is this posting for a coder or for a rule maker that outlines what to code?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Well, if my brother ever gets tired of coding for Google and wants to move to someplace crappy for less pay, I'll forward this to him.

San Antonio is pretty cool. And much lower cost of living than bay area.

3 years later
    #38 2 years ago

I wonder if someone off of pinside took this gig...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deeproot-job-posting-technical-scripter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.