• Latest reply 8 years ago by schudel5
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
TARGET.jpg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

More of a thought experiment...ha but I am a lover of 'bad' games like Road Kings, Hollywood Heat, Bugs Bunny and I was watching the Buffalo pin 12hr stream were they were playing Big Buck Hunter. Not a very loved game or theme. As I listened to them talk about it it seemed like there were a number of goals int he game that were extremely hard to achieve, which doesn't always equate to fun but at least it gives you something to go for. I'll go as far as saying if LOTR was re-themed to Big Buck Hunter and you had to do the same things to get to Valinor as you did to....get that 1,000 point buck ( I have no idea what the end mode is) would it be as respected?

So I was wondering what games out there because of the theme or otherwise are 'cheaper' to buy but have something to offer as far as 'challenge'.

#4 8 years ago

Stargate. (In this case the "otherwise" is that it's a Gottlieb/Premier.)

#5 8 years ago

The Shadow is probably the most underrated game you can still get dirt cheap.

#6 8 years ago

For the first, and prob last time, I'll disagree with you vid. The Shadow is pretty well known for being a good game and the 3k+ I see it going for isn't all that cheap. I guess I am talking sub 2k BUT I'll give you a pass. I'll allow it

Quoted from vid1900:

The Shadow is probably the most underrated game you can still get dirt cheap.

#7 8 years ago

That said I would LOVE a Shadow! hahah

#8 8 years ago

Mr/ms pacman. No one even understands the rules well enough to realize the main goals of the game. The video mode is very important to achieving a huge score. You can buy one for 500-800!

Elektra can be bought for around 1000. Has the most complex rules of any Bally game ever created.

I realize you are probably asking about modern DMD games... I'd say WPT is right up there with the most affordable, most complex DMD that you can buy right now.

#10 8 years ago

Looks like WPT is getting a lot of votes. But I am thinking Cheap. For 3k there are a lot of fun games I can get. What are some of those cheap dogs that need love?

I agree with Pacman and Elektra. Who cares about a DMD....as long as the rules are complex and it keeps me playing I'll make up my own animations.. ha

#11 8 years ago

Easy last action hero.
1500.00 tons of shots tons of modes

#13 8 years ago

Barbwire has a great deep:cheap ratio IMO. Too bad about that artwork tho.

#14 8 years ago

Grand Prix/ nascar has a ton of stuff to do for a fair price , some telly great multiball modes, collecting champ letters for a mini wizard mode, hard racing , speed shots , lots of modes and clocking up hauler miles, all while trying to get to first place, great multiball , and there's mode bonuses to, drops are very important in this game.theres another wizard mode when all modes have been started.. Worth giving it a look.

#15 8 years ago

It's definitely WPT. Super Deep and pretty cheap (fun also).

Owned one for too brief a period.....wouldn't mind getting it again some day.

#16 8 years ago

I just want to go out on a limb here and say Hollywood heat is an awesome game.

#17 8 years ago

Another vote for LAH....only weakness is the fact you don't need to actually finish the mode to move on, that being said one of the cheapest, deepest, packed full of features game you can get for less than 2K. The magnets and crane toy are awesome!

PS: I had one for a while, it drove me crazy trying to fix the crane but a fellow pinsider finally found out the crane issues were caused by the a weak rectifier. After that it was a bang.

#18 8 years ago

Jackbot!

Good luck getting mega visor on factory settings.

#19 8 years ago

Johnny Mneumonic is hands down the deepest and best priced pin out there.

#20 8 years ago

WPT !!!

#21 8 years ago

WPT too... never reached Keefer's invitational !
BH is not deep but very, very challenging.
Spectrum is an odd duck - once you understand its rules, finding the secret code(s) is challenging. How many stars can you collect?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

LOVE Johnny Mnemonic! It's a game I had the opportunity to tear down and build back up, 6 mil dollar man style....better....stronger......faster.....and it is a KEEPER! LOVE IT. Powerdown always alludes me!

Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Barbwire has a great deep:cheap ratio IMO. Too bad about that artwork tho.

Agreed! I played this a few months back and was super surprised how fun it was. Great toys and game play

Quoted from Jabbles180:

I just want to go out on a limb here and say Hollywood Heat is an awesome game.

This is prob going to be my next purchase. I have been tracking one down for well over a year now. Never seems to work out. LOVVVEEE this game!

#23 8 years ago

Whats the going rate on a WPT? I want to look at it from a scientific point of view. Dollar:Depth

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Whats the going rate on a WPT? I want to look at it from a scientific point of view. Dollar:Depth

#25 8 years ago

Who dunnit

#26 8 years ago

Wish Shadow was closer to 2500, they just keep climbing

+1 for WPT - tough game with lots of depth for the price and a great tournament game.

#27 8 years ago

WPT is most depth at lowest price. You can get it for 2k. Shadow isnt that deep honestly but its deep enough for the 2.8-3k price but at that same range roadshow is deeper and im sure there are others. Nascar is deep for the 2k range and so is last action hero. You already know what johnny gives you for 2k-ish

#28 8 years ago

For depth and decent price its hard to beat Stargate. It can be had for well under 2k.

#29 8 years ago

A decent WPT = 2k

#30 8 years ago

Cool. Now to find a wpt for 2k.. Ha

#31 8 years ago

Cheap and fun? No Fear is 104 th place in the top 200 and is really cheap.
Don't understand why,it is superfun?
And ofcourse world cup soccer,horrible theme,very dated, but a very good rule sheet!
World poker tour blows!

#32 8 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic and Judge Dredd are great sub $2k DMD games. Demo Man can also be found for under 2k but any of these 3 are getting harder to find at that price.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Cheap and fun? No Fear is 104 th place in the top 200 and is really cheap.
Don't understand why,it is superfun?

The sound of the ball moving, along with the flippers feeling too low down in the cab. At least that is my opinion why. No Fear, Dirty Harry, and Doctor Who. All of them have an odd geometry to me. However, Dirty Harry and Doctor Who make up for it in other ways.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Cool. Now to find a wpt for 2k.. Ha

I'm selling a WPT for 2K at Freeplay Florida this weekend

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

is JM considered deep? I thought the ruleset was pretty shallow?

My vote is StarGate! Can still be picked up for around 2k, TONS of shots, and likely a top 5 for depth of ruleset in almost any rating.

(Just listing deep games: WOZ, TSPP, LOTR, SG seem to be in every personal rating I have ever heard. SG is the best priced of all those)

#36 8 years ago

WPT is most likely the best value for a deep game. It is a decent game, but I dislike the callouts in it. So even though it is deep, I don't find it much fun to play. When I am tangling with a deep game, I want to be immersed in it.

Quoted from agodfrey:

Looks like WPT is getting a lot of votes. But I am thinking Cheap. For 3k there are a lot of fun games I can get. What are some of those cheap dogs that need love?

I'm don't think there are any "cheap dogs that need love". The more sophisticated games that have deeper rulesets are by nature, more expensive. Even games that are deeper like Transformers are not going to be cheap (how many have actually been to the Battle for Cybertron?). It is an result of our connected society. I have information on every game ever made at my fingertips. I have culled the top 300 list and played as many as I could. Hidden gems are hard to sneak by us now.

#37 8 years ago

I don't see how anybody could consider No Fear deep. A skilled player will see everything that game has to offer in about 10 games, maybe less if they decide to just time out the modes.

But of course this thread turned from "Deepest, cheapest pin" to "best/most fun game under $3000!" pretty quick.

#38 8 years ago

I would say JM, WPT......how about roller coaster tycoon, i dont want the game, but its cheap and has alot going on.

#39 8 years ago

What about RBION?
It's in this same price range of 2.5 to 3k and has a great ruleset.

#40 8 years ago

Gilligina's Island slipped threw my fingers foe $1,200 on clist by mere minutes lol

#41 8 years ago

Popeye ! Once you figure out what the hell is goin on Seriously its no mean feat to get to the Wizard mode and Save Olive

#42 8 years ago

IJ4 while not cheap, has to have one of the biggest dollar to minimum shots required to beat the game ratios. 20 modes including 5 modes where you have to spell R-A-I-D-E-R-S-O-F-T-H-E-L-O-S-T-A-R-K just to start the damn mode, it's ridiculous. Also the game is a total dog and you shouldn't buy it.

#43 8 years ago

IJ4 is a terrible game and it's certainly not deep at all by modern standards. Has no business on a "cheapest/deepest" thread.

#44 8 years ago

Baywatch

#45 8 years ago

Hercules is pretty deep. In fact it is pretty big all around. I have heard they don't sell for too much money.

#46 8 years ago

Spectrum

#47 8 years ago

Johnny m fast n good.. Baywatch is fun I have both for sale am. just saying !!!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IJ4 is a terrible game and it's certainly not deep at all by modern standards. Has no business on a "cheapest/deepest" thread.

OP said he's looking for bad games he'll never beat though. I've can complete The Shadow and start Mega Visor, I know I'll never come close to even starting Final Adventure though.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

OP said he's looking for bad games he'll never beat though. I've can complete The Shadow and start Mega Visor, I know I'll never come close to even starting Final Adventure though.

Came close but never beat Shadow in 2 years of owning it. Obviously you're a better player than me but glad to see it on this list.

Agree that WPT and NASCAR, seem like good votes for this thread. So a HUO RBION and really loved that game and thought it was deep and a good bang for buck pin. Unfortunately I only have room for 4 pins.

I haven't played a Stargate in forever. Is it a deep game?

#50 8 years ago

I have to agree with LAH. If you are going for cheapest for what you get, I think this has to be #1. When this was released in 1993, Data East was trying to compete with all the B/W heavy hitters (TAF,TZ,IJ, STTNG etc). Everything they could think of was thrown into this game. If remade today, would cost LE money.

Popeye, WPT, Judge Dredd, TFTC and Road Show are other extremely deep games for the low price they go for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deepest-game-for-the-cheapest-price and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.