Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have had the good fortune of finding a local pinball tech, Lisa from Cadillac Music, who was willing to come out and help me with my fish tales. After coming out and spending an inordinate amount of time for less pay that she is worth, she is still stumped and as such, I wanted to throw out a lifeline here to see if there is anyone very skilled in the tech aspect of this game who can provide some guidance.

Basic problem: The spinning reel is not lining up properly to accept balls as they would enter through the Casters Club.

Here is what has been done: Power supply on my original driver board re-built and re-installed after trying an entire new Rotten Dog driver board with same results, MPU board substituted, Opto board substituted, Motor driver board substituted, optos verified working correctly. She found that the optos were not set properly so the game thought group 1 was 2 and vice versa. Corrected. Also, the reel has been changed out and when this happened it was found that the reel that was in the game had the three pins that hold the upper cam in place were sheared off and a drywall screw was affixing the upper cam to the spinning reel. Some bonehead was in here for sure!!

She has worked her *ss off trying to find out what is not making this thing work properly and it would be very helpful at this point to hear what someone has to say who has some really deep knowledge of this game given what I have already offered above.

I'm starting to hate myself for trusting the guy up in Michigan who I bought this thing from as he lied through his damn teeth. I know its my fault for not investigating the machine fully and trusting his words. I am just not fond of liars I suppose. Lesson learned.

Oh well, if anyone out there can offer some assistance, I would be grateful.

Thank you

G

#2 9 years ago

Do you have the correct belt installed?

At power up, does the reel reset to provide a receptacle hole at the end of the wireform?

If you pull the glass, and enable locks, then roll a ball into the Casters Club, does it load the first reel position, advance one position, and stop with a receptacle hole at the end of the wireform?

You mentioned the game was mistaking groups of switches....how so and how was it corrected?

#3 9 years ago

my buddy had the same problem and we found that one of the optos was bad on the reel wheel and also wasn't lined up after opto was replaced we loosen the opto bracket and just move a little one way or the other way we fooled with lining up the optos and that's what fixed his good luck

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

At power up, does the reel reset to provide a receptacle hole at the end of the wireform?
If you pull the glass, and enable locks, then roll a ball into the Casters Club, does it load the first reel position, advance one position, and stop with a receptacle hole at the end of the wireform?

These are good questions, also my FT had issues with the reel it turned out to be an incorrect belt. The belt needs to be a clear one, on mine they had installed an actual O-ring from the PF. Lastly, the optos are critical to have the reel lining up. I would take them out reflow solder on them and then test them with a cell phone camera to make sure they were working.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

You mentioned the game was mistaking groups of switches....how so and how was it corrected?

Hello Cody,

When the start button is depressed, the reel will do several rotations but after it is done doing "its thing" it is not lined up so that the ball can enter one of the holes. Rather it is exactly in the middle between two holes. This is repeatable every time one starts a game. The belt is the correct clear belt. The girl I have working on the machine said that the wiring to the optos was incorrect in that, if I understood correctly, the machine thought opto 1 was two and vice versa. Anyway, she said she corrected that and it is still doing the same thing.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you all

G

#7 9 years ago

Can we run a switch test and confirm that the optos are working?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Can we run a switch test and confirm that the optos are working?

In reel test mode all shows fine.

Thank you

I think what I really need to find if possible is someone who has a working FT close to me who would not mind helping out a fellow pinsider. We could for example, remove his reel opto assembly and throw it on my machine and see what happens. This kind of troubleshooting goes a long way very quickly at helping to at least pinpoint hwere an issue exists. If this happened and the other opto assembly fixed the issue, than we know something on that opto board is still amiss and then delve into it rebuilding the entire thing

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

In reel test mode all shows fine.
Thank you
I think what I really need to find if possible is someone who has a working FT close to me who would not mind helping out a fellow pinsider. We could for example, remove his reel opto assembly and throw it on my machine and see what happens. This kind of troubleshooting goes a long way very quickly at helping to at least pinpoint hwere an issue exists. If this happened and the other opto assembly fixed the issue, than we know something on that opto board is still amiss and then delve into it rebuilding the entire thing

If there is anyone in the NE Ohio area that has a working FT that would not mind assisting here, please dont be shy. Would really love to get this bugger up and running.

Thank you

#10 9 years ago

Sunday eve bump

#11 9 years ago

Try this, it's from http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=294492589&start=10

After about 4 or 5 weeks of messing about I finally fixed my wonky
Fish Tales reel .
The symptoms were basically that the reel would over shoot it's
stopping point by about 1.5cm .
This caused all sorts of problems . Balls not entering or leaving the
reel and the multiball feature
starting with only 2 balls in the reel (The first ball would leave the
reel after the second had entered) .

Anyway , I posted the problem a while ago and spent a lot of time ,
and some cash and (as usual) . Tipically the fault
turned out to be something stupid . So what was the fault I hear you
say ???

1) The lower or top pulley ? Nope .
2) Surely a slipping or knackered belt ? Nope .
3) Faulty opto then ? Nope .
4) Motor or gearbox knackered then ? Nope .

Here we go . The moment of truth . A bad J1 or J2 connection on the
motor EMI filter board !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 9 years ago

Hello Kvan

She brought another motor board with her to substitute and the game still did the same thing

Damn, wish you were right. Sorry if I did not include this in my initial post. My error

Thank you for thinking about my issue

George

#13 9 years ago

Isn't there a set screw securing the pulley to the motor shaft? Maybe slipping?

#14 9 years ago

Hello Cody

Tight. Check

G

#15 9 years ago

Here's what I've done so far:

Swapped out MPU
Swapped out power board
Swapped out motor control board from a working Fishtales
Replaced transistor on motor control board
Replaced diode on motor control board
Swapped out Opto board from a working Fishtales
Replaced all four optos related to board
Swapped optos to correct position, unless manual is wrong and opto 1 should be closer to the apron than 2. (thanks whoever had this last, it took me eons to figure this out)
Replaced reel with one from our spare parts bin
Replaced belt
Unplugged sound display and flipper boards from mpu, tested it like that.

Really the only thing I haven't replaced is the motor. I just don't have a spare one lying around. But I am really doubting that it's the motor, because the optos are working fine in both switch and reel tests. It's not like it's stopping in random wrong places - it's stopping at the wrong place every time. It's one position off from where it should be. This is the reel logic as far as I can figure out:

The reel has a bunch of "short" blockers, and one "long" one. Only the long one can interrupt both optos at once by itself.

Read Opto 1. Every time opto one transitions from open to closed, games thinks reel moves one position.

Read Opto 2. Ignore opto 2 unless opto 1 is closed. If opto 1 and 2 are closed at the same time, position is "home".

The reel tries to get to home position at the start of the reel test. The problem is that while the optos are registering properly, it doesn't seem to think home is when both optos are obscured. Instead, it waits until the next time both optos are obscured. This is when one opto is blocked by the "long" blocker and one by the "short" blocker next in line, and then considers that home. So instead of hole 1 being at the top, it's hole 1 + 1 step, or hole 1.5.

The only thing I can think would do this is if the reel were on backwards. But that's physically impossible. The other option is that the motor is running the wrong direction, and the optos weren't switched. But when I swap opto 1 and 2 and run the motor backwards, it just gets confused.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the reel is for the wrong game, somehow. But I don't think any other game used that kind of reel.

#16 9 years ago

Although I swapped out the board, I didn't think to check continuity on the plugs. Maybe it's a bad plug? Wish I had the machine at the shop so I could work on it there.

#17 9 years ago

Hmmm, you've got me...the majority of these reel issues are either the optos or the opto board, mainly the LM339 on the board. I would remove the reel optos (while leaving them connected) and trigger them outside of the reel to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to do. I see that you know the theory of operation. I think some how the optos are wired incorrectly or opto 1's wiring is some how swapped with #2 or something. I think you've done everything component wise already, it has to be wiring.

#18 9 years ago

Time to start over. Clear the air. Deep breath. Shot of Schnapps.

Go to the reel test in the manual. Run the test compared to what you're seeing the optos actually do.
Run it several times and watch the transitions of the optos. With the test paused, you can manually block the optos to see if the right one echoes back on the display.

Turn game off/on. Let the reel try to home. Go into Switch Levels and see if the correct optos are showing home position...see reel test page.

One last thing. Those optos are channel interrupters aren't they? Maybe the reel tabs aren't running deep enough into those channels to transition them reliably.

Oh, look! A straw! I'm grabbing it.

#19 9 years ago

Hehe. I looked at a field fishtales today. Apparently, the manual is_ wrong. So the optos should be swapped again. They were right in the first place. One interesting thing I noticed is that one opto always reads as closed. I forget which one - I have the pictures on my phone. I'm gonna bring the rottendog power board again next time...I want to have a %100 certainty that the power going out is right.

Also the manual I have been looking at doesn't really cover the reel test. What page are you looking at? We've got 3 different versions, I think.

#20 9 years ago

The reel test isn't in my manual either. IIRC, at the end of the solenoid tests is a reel test that has the switches depicted and how the respond while the reel is turning.

I may be mis-remembering.

#21 9 years ago

Oh, there's a reel test at the end of the test menu. But yeah, it just shows it thinking the reel is one step off of where it is.

#22 9 years ago

Make sure the reel optos are in the correct spots. Its possible to mount the optos to wrong mounting tab (they can be reversed). Saw this once before.

#23 9 years ago

Hi Guys and gals

As the owner of this machine I just wanted to express my sincere appreciation for all the help. Lisa at Cadillac is doing a great job and I am thankful for all the help. Damn, and I thought E/M's were difficult!!!

G

#24 9 years ago

Can someone with a Fish Tales give us a hand here?

Access the reel test and get a short video of it from before starting and then running for 20 or 30 seconds?

GPS: Compare yours to the video of the working game...and post a video of yours so we all can see what is going on.

Let's get this ornery bastige fixed!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I'm starting to hate myself for trusting the guy up in Michigan who I bought this thing from as he lied through his damn teeth.
G

please let us know whom was the seller.

Sorry you are having troubles.

I had similar issues and mine all ended up being the belt. I know you said you replaced the belt, but I would want to make sure you used the exact correct belt. It is not a standard size and even though it may seem like it, you can't just use a standard runner that appears to be the same size.

you need this one
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8614

#26 9 years ago

Thanks snow

It was a guy up near Kalamazoo mi. It was on craigs list I think. Hey I blame myself for not catching all this crap but I just hate when people lie wen they know the machine has a somewhat serious issue. It's one thing to have minor issues we all expect that but when a tech like Lisa from Cadillac comes out and spends the time she has, I would not consider this a minor issue. All the more reason I should have spotted it. I'll do my homework going forward.

I will do the video this eve and post it to you tube and add a link

Thank you all big time. By the way the belt was changed once by me with a clear belt and also Lisa also brought a belt and hers did not yield a good result either

G

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

please let us know whom was the seller.
Sorry you are having troubles.
I had similar issues and mine all ended up being the belt. I know you said you replaced the belt, but I would want to make sure you used the exact correct belt. It is not a standard size and even though it may seem like it, you can't just use a standard runner that appears to be the same size.
you need this one
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8614

Not true. I have a standard white rubber ring on my game now going on..ohhh...9 years. Never had one issue with the reel using a standard rubber ring. Works fine. Not saying this isn't his problem, just that a standard white ring does work...

(BTW, I'm not the seller of the FT nor do I know who he/she was.)

#28 9 years ago

interesting. I originally had a white rubber that was the exact same size as the required belt and it would 'slip' ever so slightly and the result was a reel being just a smidge (RCH) out of whack.

New/correct belt and works perfect everytime.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

interesting. I originally had a white rubber that was the exact same size as the required belt and it would 'slip' ever so slightly and the result was a reel being just a smidge (RCH) out of whack.
New/correct belt and works perfect everytime.

I may have gone down a size. 4" --> 3-1/2" or whatever it is.

To the OP: My first inclination is to sort out the optos or interrupters on the reel. In switch edge test see when the open/close and determine where the reel openings are.

#30 9 years ago

yeah, these symptom point to opto intermittent issue.

#31 9 years ago

Not to derail into a belt argument, but my experiences with FT and Hurricane (granted a heavier assembly to run) are that rubber rings do not work well at all. They might function on some level, but when they stretch it's over. Slip city.

IME!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Not to derail into a belt argument, but my experiences with FT and Hurricane (granted a heavier assembly to run) are that rubber rings do not work well at all. They might function on some level, but when they stretch it's over. Slip city.
IME!

Hurricane uses a longer belt than a standard ring and wouldn't work in that situation. I agree there.

My FT original factory belt was stretched and slippery and wouldn't turn the reel with more than one ball locked. Like I said I replaced mine with a standard white ring and it's been perfect now 9 years. Just a few more years and it will have outlasted the life of the original belt (which I mentioned was stretched and slippery).

#33 9 years ago

Maybe it's the ring manufacturer? Those old ABC rings had a "grippy" surface. Personally I would use a ring only until the belt arrived from Pinball Resource. Obviously your experiences are different. Good on ya!

#34 9 years ago

The more I stew on this, this more I'm thinking it's going to be a plug/connector issue. Because I swear I stuck the rottendog board in the first time, and it worked fine. Then I unplugged it to put a swap board in, and I've yet to see it working since. I even got GPS and was like "Look, I fixed it!". And then of course it failed to work. I think it's just having its revenge for me figuring out the booting problem so quick. I've had those little boards that draw the 5 volts from the 12 screw up booting in 2 fishtales before. So I found that one right away. But I can't blame it or point to it as relating to the problem, because the previous fishtales had no reel issues.

Edit: I of course stuck the rottendog board in again after that, but I had no luck.

#35 9 years ago

OK guys and gals, here is the link to you tube for the video that was requested.

Thank you.

G
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=GEYJ07_mUMs&u=/watch%3Fv%3DJjlIT3T8Krw%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

The more I stew on this, this more I'm thinking it's going to be a plug/connector issue.

Hi Lisa,

I was working with GPS on this from the start. Early on one of the several times we were in switch test mode, he had OPTO 2 go off on it's own. I suggested to have the machine in switch test mode and wiggle and press the reel opto wires on the IDC plugs, at the opto board and upward on the chain to the MPU board. A poor connection at an IDC cable can be very elusive.

With everything that has been done thus far, it really must be a physical issue/connection with the reel, as the machine seems to think the reel is fine and where it is suppose to be.

Also, he was having random sling shot activation during game play, was that issue resolved, and if so, what was the cause?

Thank you Lisa for everything you have done for him on this issue, I cant imagine him having a better person on the case!

#37 9 years ago

Opto 2 is flaking out. It shouldn't be transitioning off/on like that. It should be toggling like the other 2.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Hi Lisa,
Also, he was having random sling shot activation during game play, was that issue resolved, and if so, what was the cause?

Random slingshot firing is usually a bad LM339 on the opto board. In any case like I said above something does not add up if all the components were swapped with known working ones, this may very well end up being the usual opto board problem.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Not true. I have a standard white rubber ring on my game now going on..ohhh...9 years. Never had one issue with the reel using a standard rubber ring. Works fine. Not saying this isn't his problem, just that a standard white ring does work...
(BTW, I'm not the seller of the FT nor do I know who he/she was.)

Sorry guys. Not Kalamazoo, Battle Creek. Lived on a little lake outside of town

Immaterial at this point. Just didn't want the fella in Kalamazoo feeling any ill

G

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Random slingshot firing is usually a bad LM339 on the opto board.

Yes, the opto board was swapped by Lisa and I tested the original in my machine, ran fine. That is why I am curious to know if the slings firing randomly issue has been resolved, as it did not seem the problems in this case, were related.

#41 9 years ago

Ah, you must be the guy he sent the opto and mpu boards to. The test he filmed isn't going to be hugely accurate, as the optos aren't in the right place. I'll swap 'em so they're correct on Saturday, and then look at the connectors. Hey GPS, did I leave the other opto board with you? I can't find it, but I have so much pinball junk in my car it's possible it's just buried. Not a big deal, just need one back eventually.

Also, why does random slingshot firing relate to a bad LM339 on the opto board? The slingshots are white/violet and white/grey, but there's no connection to green/yellow on the opto board. Does it just, like, take a long time for the signal to get through, so the mpu has moved on to strobing green/yellow?

#42 9 years ago

Oh, duh, never mind. Need coffee. The LM339 is just randomly letting VCC through when it shouldn't, thus setting off whatever switch matches the column that's currently strobing. This makes me wonder even more about the opto boards or connections, because I remember being puzzled as to why, when we disconnected green/orange from the slingshot switch, we were randomly getting the two rows back as grounded. I'm betting one of the comparison lines is too low, due to a bad connection. Whee, making progress!

#43 9 years ago

Just resolved this issue on a FT restore.

LM339 was faulty on the opto board install a socket and a new LM339

Reflow the pins on the opto board while your there.

Opto transmitters can also fail and still look ok through a digital camera with an infrared reader you may detect a dimming of a faulty one. Optos don't cost much so replace both transmitting optos they have many years on them anyway.

Don't forget to test the receivers as well with proper voltages using your DMM

#44 9 years ago

Oh, I replaced both sides of both optos. The manual having the optos in the incorrect order is what threw me off. I'll bring some chips and a socket, but I really suspect it's in the connector. The opto board's been replaced and tested in another machine. I think we're just not getting happy voltages all the time, so while the board is functioning properly, the end result is that it feeds back erroneous data. We can so nail this this weekend.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Ah, you must be the guy he sent the opto and mpu boards to. The test he filmed isn't going to be hugely accurate, as the optos aren't in the right place. I'll swap 'em so they're correct on Saturday, and then look at the connectors. Hey GPS, did I leave the other opto board with you? I can't find it, but I have so much pinball junk in my car it's possible it's just buried. Not a big deal, just need one back eventually.
Also, why does random slingshot firing relate to a bad LM339 on the opto board? The slingshots are white/violet and white/grey, but there's no connection to green/yellow on the opto board. Does it just, like, take a long time for the signal to get through, so the mpu has moved on to strobing green/yellow?

Hi Lisa

Yeppir, it is here. Thanks so much for all your efforts. Man this is a bugger. I would have never found something this deep!!

G

#46 9 years ago

If you ever get jammed up again, Gary at the Pinball Shoppe in North Olmstead has always been very helpful.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from mswhat:

If you ever get jammed up again, Gary at the Pinball Shoppe in North Olmstead has always been very helpful.

Appreciate that but with the dedication that Lisa has unequivocally demonstrated, she has me for life. I have discussed my pinball issue with another in the business in my area. The individual was very reluctant to try and work on my game In my house. Now given that this machine is in my basement and I really don't want it leaving I felt I had to look around for another who would come to me and do what was necessary into place and Lisa from Cadillac was more than willing, on time, very affordable and did not bull*hit me on anything like not being able to safely bring a CMOS chip from someone's shop to my house if needed as this would almost certainly ruin the chip. Rather than tell the horror stories, I really want to give the kudos here to Lisa. She has stuck with this issue, always had a good attitude. Shows up when she says she will, is timely, charges a decent rate and while doing the kind if repair that I need on her own time is employed full time by a local operator as a pinball tech so she is always honing her skills. You're the best Lisa

G

#48 9 years ago

Great but if you're going to use Reagan as an avatar at least use one from Knute Rockne-All American.

#49 9 years ago

A lot of the issues in any type of electronics can relate to bad grounding occurring. I always check to assure that the ground side of the circuits are clean. Especially when it seems that you take something out and test it outside of the machine and works as expected.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Have you tried going into switch test and hitting all the switches and make sure you are not getting a phantom switch (two switches show on the test when only one was hit)? It could be a bad diode on one of the switches or a switch wired wrong. I would at least rule it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 169.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deep-tech-help-needed-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.