WP_20150125_17_28_30_Pro.jpg
2015-01-21-18-37-57.png
t_lkr_blue-675.png
1word.jpg
Balrog.jpg
HolyGrail017.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

I too would fill it & paint it black

Congrats on a $3400 LOTR sir!

If someone offered me $1600 to scratch my PF odds are I'd let em lol

#52 9 years ago

Yeah, im going to attempt this weekend, just not sure if i should use wood filler or epoxy yet. Anybody know what makes a good clearcoat/ protectant for touch-ups on playfields?

#53 9 years ago

yes, it can be fixed. Won't be cheap to fix tho. And a ton of work, because you have to strip the playfield and send it to one of us restorers. On the plus side, you will have extra clear on your field that should last forever from wear.

looks like a broken, bad or forgotten bushing for the balrog caused that.

#54 9 years ago

Looks like a nice game! Too bad about the scratch.
From the picts I can't tell exactly how deep the scratch is. Maybe, because the surrounding area is dark, the light wood really stands out. If I were in your shoes I would consider using paint to fix it. Use an enamel, oil-based paint. Paint the gouge with black. Use light coats and give it a day to dry in between coats. Gradually you can build it up to be level with the playfield. No need for clear. You can try your hand at mixing some gray and other colors to "blend" into the surrounding areas. Might not be perfect but it will be cheap and you can do it yourself.

If it really is deep than I'd be worried that wood filler. Might not adhere well enough to put up with abuse from air balls.

Good luck!

Matt

#55 9 years ago

You may not want to attempt that Chris.I'll come over and take it off your hands for that price.

#56 9 years ago

he has to clear his touchups or don't even bother because the ball will wear them back off in no time.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I have to admit this thread scares the crap out of me.

Because he also owns LoTR and didn't realize until seeing this thread that the same thing might happen to his game some day.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Deep gouge in lotr.

Saw the title of this thread and thought it meant you paid waaaay too much for your game.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

he has to clear his touchups or don't even bother because the ball will wear them back off in no time.

Correct. Otherwise it will be a constant repair job. Seal the wood with clear in a syringe to lock in the loose wood fibers, waterslide or touch-up on top, then clear over again. Some sanding would be involved and buffing, and it would be a bit tricky as a spot repair, but nothing compared to the amount of work involved with a full tear-down.

#59 9 years ago

got a friend with a airbrush and a talent out of this world, he said he'd airbrush it after I get it leveled. I have a lot more faith in his skills then I do my own.

#60 9 years ago

You shall not UNSCREW

WP_20150125_17_28_30_Pro.jpgWP_20150125_17_28_30_Pro.jpg
#61 9 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

got a friend with a airbrush and a talent out of this world, he said he'd airbrush it after I get it leveled. I have a lot more faith in his skills then I do my own.

It's good to have all sorts of friends with different skills. Post a pic when fixed.

#62 9 years ago

make sure you seal it or all that work will be for nothing.

#63 9 years ago

There was a guy who posted pics of lotr cabinet he hand painted. It blew me away...peeps have mad skill and patience.

#64 9 years ago

there's a thread here about it. Looked fantastic. better than the original art by far.

1 week later
#65 9 years ago

trying to find thread, no luck. would love to see it!

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

You shall not UNSCREW

WP_20150125_17_28_30_Pro.jpg 374 KB

How hard is it to take this chap off? Seems like quite the undertaking just eyballing it.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

How hard is it to take this chap off? Seems like quite the undertaking just eyballing it.

Piece of cake. Disconnect the wiring harness underneath and pull the cotter pin on the top. It slides right off.

#69 9 years ago

This thread still scares the crap out of me; I THINK mine are lock-tited already... I remember trying to disassemble this area to replace the rubbers and gave up as the hex posts seemed stuck...

This was years ago and my understanding of the mech was limited to me futzing around and not getting much done.

At the end of the day, putting white rubbers on did not seem worth the hassle for this part of the game.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I THINK mine are lock-tited already...

You had me at lock tit.

#71 9 years ago

I saw a LOTR pin in the city of saint Louis with a scratch like that at a coin operated laundry mat about a year ago. The guy wanted 4500 for the machine.

2 months later
#72 9 years ago

that's it rob, I bought it but didn't pay nowhere near that! still kicking myself for not picking up your shrek! Bought the spiderman and potc he had there too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deep-gouge-in-lotr/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.