Topic poll

“Head to head voting (all things considered)”

• LOTR 35 votes
    57%
  • WOZLE 26 votes
    43%

(61 votes)

#1 9 years ago

There are a lot of head-head threads so I thought I'd start one.

Both pins are family-friendly (albeit it VERY different themes).
Both are deep.

Obviously, LOTR is in the top 10 and has been for a long time. WOZ lags behind somewhat which I'm guessing is in part to the theme for some folks.

What say you?

(I've owned both but traded WOZ before the final code changes so its hard for me personally to really form an opinion. I still own a HUO LOTR-LE. I liked WOZ a lot but the high-pitched dinging sling noise at the time was annoying if the ball got stuck up there. For me personally the theme was fine on WOZ although I'm a Middle Earth fan and am looking forward to my Hobbit.)

#2 9 years ago

WOZ is gonna get slammed. :\ That's just like, my opinion, man.

#3 9 years ago

I own a WOZECLE and sold a super nice HUO LOTR to get it. I couldn't keep both games and only sold LOTR to get WOZ as I knew Keith would be doing the rules. Both are amazing games.

As far as rule depth goes that's a tough one but I'm going to give the edge to WOZ. LOTR does have 6 mission based modes that are very addictive. WOZ has far more then 6 main modes but many are not sequenced based (hit lit shots) like the primary modes in LOTR. WOZ does have several deep multiballs like in LOTR which are Emerald City MB, Castle MB, and Munchkin MB.

Both LOTR and WOZ have mid wizard modes which area blast to play. Really it can go either way. In terms of difficulty to complete everything WOZ has the edge as there are more objectives to complete to reach the games final wizard mode.

The rules for WOZ have been complete for over a year now and I still haven't heard of one person reaching Somewhere Over The Rainbow on a 3 ball game.

#4 9 years ago

Don't sell that lotr le!!!!!! Lol that dinging on your Woz drove me up the wall when we were playing it although it probably could have been adjusted to be less sensitive I think as far as depth they are both very deep games but I think I LOTR give you that sense of an adventure where is woz feels like pinball Candyland don't get me wrong I think woz is a great pin and I would love to own it one day (not at the prices they are at right now though lol @$6500 for an LE maybe) I think as soon as you see some other good titles come out you will see was prices dropping to the mid $6k range maybe even the mid $5k mark. It seems like A real sellers market at the moment not many good deals out there and a lot of the more popular pins being way overpriced I think mainly because there hasn't been anything of real great interest released recently or at least with enough interest to make people want to sell off some good titles to fund a new purchase I think walking dead was only so-so received and has its issues I personally have no interest in wrestlemania and I know a lot of people who feel the same way the artwork is atrocious and it looks like a one trick pony. I think once MMR and hobbit are released (and if TBL is made)prices on woz will fall and a lot will pop up for sale. Until then I will keep getting my ass handed to me on Metallica LE lol. My big question when it comes to woz is how is the reliability for the long-haul? obviously it has had its issues there are plenty of threads addressing that for sure (light boards premature playfield wearing etc.) my other concern Is how long is that monitor is going to hold up? Let's face it how often do people go through LCD TVs every 2-3 years or so? Is woz going to be a maintenance nightmare down the road I guess we will see...... That being said LOTR wins

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Don't sell that lotr le!!!!!! Lol that dinging on your Woz drove me up the wall when we were playing it although it probably could have been adjusted to be less sensitive I think as far as depth they are both very deep games but I think I LOTR give you that sense of an adventure where is woz feels like pinball Candyland don't get me wrong I think woz is a great pin and I would love to own it one day (not at the prices they are at right now though lol @$6500 for an LE maybe) I think as soon as you see some other good titles come out you will see was prices dropping to the mid $6k range maybe even the mid $5k mark. It seems like A real sellers market at the moment not many good deals out there and a lot of the more popular pins being way overpriced I think mainly because there hasn't been anything of real great interest released recently or at least with enough interest to make people want to sell off some good titles to fund a new purchase I think Walking Dead was only so-so received and has its issues I personally have no interest in wrestlemania and I know a lot of people who feel the same way the artwork is atrocious and it looks like a one trick pony. I think once MMR and hobbit are released (and if TBL is made)prices on woz will fall and a lot will pop up for sale. Until then I will keep getting my ass handed to me on Metallica LE lol. My big question when it comes to woz is how is the reliability for the long-haul? obviously it has had its issues there are plenty of threads addressing that for sure (light boards premature playfield wearing etc.) my other concern Is how long is that monitor is going to hold up? Let's face it how often do people go through LCD TVs every 2-3 years or so? Is woz going to be a maintenance nightmare down the road I guess we will see...... That being said LOTR wins

I'm pretty dialed in to keeping the LOTR. Just felt like putting up a thread. Lot's of head-head threads pop up and there is a bunch of heated debate on the "is WOZ fun thread". After all, 'tis a forum and I felt like posting something!

I may have to go over and play our local buddy's WOZLE. We need to invite ourselves over to his house sometime.

And for the record...I voted LOTR.

#6 9 years ago

80-20 in favor of LOTR (early on). That sounds about right.

Theme alone will score much bigger for LOTR. It "plays" better also....IMHO. I really don't care for the stop-n-go style of WOZ (or TZ for that matter). LOTR lasted eight years in my home but probably won't be back. I've decided I prefer the "fast & furious" pins more than the super-deep ones. It's more of a "ball time/game times" thing.

#7 9 years ago

Both great games. I haven't played enough WOZ to know if it's deeper. I don't really think LOTR is uber deep anyway. It's got a nice mix a deep rules with play, and a tough wizard to reach, which I have done.

If you are meaning to put the deepest games head to head, that should be TSPP vs WPT. I've beat TSPP, and come close to WPT, but holy hell are they packed with stuff. LOTR and WOZ I believe would be below those, in regards to depth.

All Keefers, go figure

#8 9 years ago

I'm not sure if deep rules is the same here as best rules. WOZ is the deepest it has so many modes , and things like weak flippers no hold etc... But LOTR may be the better game as far as build up etc... I have only played WOZ a few times and owner a LOTR.

#9 9 years ago

WOZ is a better game in my opinion. I destroyed the ring within a few days of buying LOTR. There and back again get's fairly reachable once you get the hang of the game valinor is a bit rediculous and I'd be tired before I could ever get to it. I had one game on LOTR that lasted about 70 minutes and never played it again after that. Sold it a few months later. It's a great game and a game that everyone should experience but I will never own it again.

It took me 8 months to defeat the witch on WOZ which is similar to destroying the ring. There is more to do on WOZ and the rules flow better. Both games get a little tedious do to the deep rules and similar rule feel but WOZ has lasted a lot longer then LOTR and LOTR will never be back. Glad I owned it but also glad that it is gone.

#10 9 years ago

I own a WOZ. I have owned LOTR in the past, and I will own it again in the very near future. They are both great games. They are both deep quest games where what you do means more than the final score. I pick both.

#11 9 years ago

LOTR in a landslide. Better theme, better music, better call outs, a much more coherent ruleset, and doesn't feel as gimmicky. And that's before you take the price difference into account...

#12 9 years ago

I have both, I can tell you all, for me I'll never get to the end of either of them in my life time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 91.00
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deep-game-standofflotr-vs-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.