• 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hogey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dumb and Dumber.gif
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Games that are known for having deep rule sets all seem to be out of my price range. What are some of the deepest rule sets you can find for under $3500?

#2 5 years ago

Ripley's, WPT? (or these above that price)?

#3 5 years ago

Wheel of Fortune.

So deep, it isn't even finished yet.

#4 5 years ago

3500 might get u a Ripleys damn near unbeatable for most anyway

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ripley's, WPT? (or these above that price)?

I agree with both of these. Maybe a TSPP if you can find one that's been routed.

#7 5 years ago

Dirty Harry has kept me entertained for some time now -- should be easy to find under your target price.

#8 5 years ago

Definitely Tales from the Crypt. Possibly routed Ripleys or routed Xmen Pro.

#9 5 years ago

get 3 or 4 big guns , not deep but really tall

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Possibly routed Ripleys

Whatever happened to all those $2800 HUO Ripley's?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those are all just Legends my friend.
(Takes long drag off cigarette ) gather round boys and ile tell you the story of a 2000 Addams family I once passed on

#12 5 years ago

Maverick -- sub-$2K and lots to get done and lots of strategy.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

Maverick -- sub-$2K and lots to get done and lots of strategy.

lots of time to take breaks when the ball is in the boat too!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

lots of time to take breaks when the ball is in the boat too!

When it works!

(Feel like I'm shooting down my own recommendation. Def gotta make sure the paddle wheel is 100% before you buy)

#15 5 years ago

Spend about $4000 on a newer machine, play it for a while, sell it or trade it for newer title plus or minus cash and keep doing this till you find a keeper. Then look for machine #2...

#16 5 years ago

another vote for RBION. Such a great pin, wish I never sold mine

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

another vote for RBION. Such a great pin, wish I never sold mine

Definitely and WPT. Both very deep and fun games. Seriously consider Wheel of Fortune, if you could find a cheap one. It just might be the most underrated game of all time.

#18 5 years ago

The Shadow.

#19 5 years ago

My vote goes to WPT...

#20 5 years ago

I own/ed all of these:

in order of depth:

RBION
WPT
SG
TS

In order of fun:

TS
RBION
SG
WPT

TSPP would be the top of both lists, unlikely to find at $3500.

#21 5 years ago

I was about to say the shadow isn't especially deep, but even if you do complete the wizard it's still a blast to play. Maybe Alec is the reason the value is so low? It never made sense to me why this is valued lower then other B/W 90's titles, other then the big 3.

#22 5 years ago

Deep and cheap....brings back memories...

#23 5 years ago

The Shadow has to be up there. Deep in rules, and it has multiple strategies. Still a lower priced game as well.

#24 5 years ago

I got a huo LOTR for 3500 before shipping. Granted this was close to 10 years ago.

#25 5 years ago

Sorry are we talking about pinball here or hookers?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I own/ed all of these:
in order of depth:
RBION
WPT
SG
TS
In order of fun:
TS
RBION
SG
WPT
TSPP would be the top of both lists, unlikely to find at $3500.

Have owned all but WPT but have considerable play on it. I agree with all of the above statement! Shadow and Ripleys both great. SG deep and very good gottlieb design. WPT ace in the hole shot is very satisfying.
If you get a chance at tspp at this price it is very deep.(also a hot mess at times)
TFTC is also super fun and in this range I have owned 2 of them and woulf gladly own again.
(If you do not mind crypt keeper laugh it is rock solid)

#27 5 years ago

Last Action Hero

Tommy

Jurrasic Park

I500

Monopoly maybe broad versus deep

#28 5 years ago

^^^Ditto on LAH

Judge Dredd

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It got digitized on the Pinball Arcade. People went from "who cares" to "gotta have it".

#30 5 years ago

I would add Johnny Mnemonic...

#31 5 years ago

I agree mbwalker, Last Action Hero and Judge Dredd

#32 5 years ago

That $3500 is a barrier to some deep pins like AcDc pro or ST pro. Just a bit more for those and Tspp etc.

There’s an ad at the bottom of this page for ST pro $4100.

#33 5 years ago

Deep, Cheap, and in nice condition... Pick Two!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Spend about $4000 on a newer machine, play it for a while, sell it or trade it for newer title plus or minus cash and keep doing this till you find a keeper. Then look for machine #2...

Quoted from rai:

That $3500 is a barrier to some deep pins like AcDc pro or ST pro. Just a bit more for those and Tspp etc.
There’s an ad at the bottom of this page for ST pro $4100.

I agree with both of these....save up a little more and get a newer Stern. So many great titles with deep rules over the last 5 years.

#37 5 years ago

Stargate / The Shadow.

I might have a sliiiiiiiiiiiiight bias..

#38 5 years ago

If Last Action Hero makes it to your "short list" we will be selling a very nice example sometime very shortly. We have not finalized a price point but I know for sure price will be under $2900 (likely $2750 but I need to confirm that with my son).

Machine will be posted on Pinside marketplace once we get it moved to the garage for easy loading.

#39 5 years ago

Another vote for a nice Judge Dredd. If I'm walking by and want to enjoy just one game I usually end up playing my JD.

#40 5 years ago

Probably a bit biased since I own one, but give NASCAR a look. 10 or 11 modes to play through with some great variety of shots you have to make (3 of these are multiballs too IIRC), bash toy that opens up and down into a scoop, 2 different wizard modes (stackable too), 4 mini-modes, and a cool risk/reward mode bonus feature where you can basically double your points in the mode if you knock down all the drops after you complete the mode before you drain. Great flow too and you can backhand all the shots in the game - really one of the best values and most overlooked games IMO. I had to get past the theme the first time I played it a few years back but it really is a blast.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Probably a bit biased since I own one, but give NASCAR a look. 10 or 11 modes to play through with some great variety of shots you have to make (3 of these are multiballs too IIRC), bash toy that opens up and down into a scoop, 2 different wizard modes (stackable too), 4 mini-modes, and a cool risk/reward mode bonus feature where you can basically double your points in the mode if you knock down all the drops after you complete the mode before you drain. Great flow too and you can backhand all the shots in the game - really one of the best values and most overlooked games IMO. I had to get past the theme the first time I played it a few years back but it really is a blast.

I agree and I own it too.

#42 5 years ago

I've had a Dale Jr. on loan for a few months. It is different for sure, lots of shots, lots of modes. It can be really fun but mine has an issue where if a ball drains on the outer track during multiball, it's gone and has nothing to do with your play. It ends up getting frustrating. Still, I've only gotten to the mode wizard mode a few times, and don't think I've ever gotten all the CHAMP letters. I play it often.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Heh heh, been down that road. When I bought my first pin, I was planning to spend $1-1.5k... ended up falling in love with a DH and spent $3500. Wasn't planning on getting another one for a year or so... but then a few months later I saw a really nice FP and jumped on it. So when I say "under $3500," what I really mean is that my sane, responsible budget for this purchase is under $2000... but, I think I can talk myself into up to $3500

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. A lot of these sound good and I'll keep an eye out for them, there's a JD and a TS on location near me that I haven't gotten around to playing much yet.

#44 5 years ago

I will second JD... good flowing game, difficult shots, not too dificult shots, a good mix, plus there is the super game for a change of pace... once you get it rock and rolling, you can have an epic single game, then turn right around and have a triple drainer... sometimes it can be feast or famine... but I still will play one on site, no questions asked.

Would anyone recomend Swords of Fury except for the “Lionman! Lionman!” callout?

#45 5 years ago

Starship troopers!

#46 5 years ago

WPT is a great game and ridiculous deep. Keith and Lyman did that game, Keith was primary coder. So that explains that one.

A pin i really like a lot that nobody else does and can be had for really cheap is NBAFB. Great MB's, unique rules, deep and wide!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Deep and cheap....brings back memories...

DumbDumb

#48 5 years ago

No, but this one is. Maybe not the theme for everybody, but lots of modes, shots, and well below $3,500.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/71892

#49 5 years ago

I agree with the Maverick recommendation! I’ll sell you one

#50 5 years ago

Shadow. Without a doubt. Excellent game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deep-and-cheap?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.