• 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hogey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dumb and Dumber.gif
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I've never played RBION, how hard is it? The two that I have now (FP and DH) are both brutal drain monsters, which is fine with me but not so great for non-pinhead guests. Would be good if the next one is a little more forgiving, in addition to having more depth to the rules.

#52 5 years ago

The thing with Shadow...as good as it is, I’m not sure it’s worth some of the going rates these days. For about the same or a few hundred more, a guy could get a Game of Thrones pro, or Metallica pro. Way better sound and lights and deeper.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

I've never played RBION, how hard is it? The two that I have now (FP and DH) are both brutal drain monsters, which is fine with me but not so great for non-pinhead guests. Would be good if the next one is a little more forgiving, in addition to having more depth to the rules.

Ha...well the thing is RBION is 100% aboot the outlane settings as the space betwixed the flippers is small. If you tighten them down you can play forever; leave them open and it's side drain all day.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The thing with Shadow...as good as it is, I’m not sure it’s worth some of the going rates these days. For about the same or a few hundred more, a guy could get a Game of Thrones pro, or Metallica pro. Way better sound and lights and deeper.

Totally agree on Metallica, but I can’t think of one significant area that Game of Thrones excels compared to Shadow... Toys? No way. Layout? Scoring balance? Art? Audio? Nope! Rules? Maybe.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#55 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Totally agree on Metallica, but I can’t think of one significant area that Game of Thrones excels compared to Shadow....Rules? Maybe.

Oh rules and strategeries for sure.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...well the thing is RBION is 100% aboot the outlane settings as the space betwixed the flippers is small. If you tighten them down you can play forever; leave them open and it's side drain all day.

Does it let you make some progress and feel rewarded without having to hit shots that are really tight? I think that's the biggest thing for engaging the non-pinheads. The game that sucked me in was Star Trek, because even before I had developed any skills there were still some shots that I could make that made me feel like I was getting somewhere.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Does it let you make some progress and feel rewarded without having to hit shots that are really tight? I think that's the biggest thing for engaging the non-pinheads.

Some of the modes are MBs and the main MB is easy to get...so in that way it can be friendly, but overall it isn't on the easy side. The mode start/vari-target is probably the hardest shot you need to hit, and it isn't the worst. Also has the 3rd flipper like most PL games so that's some added fun for people...if they remember to use it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#59 5 years ago

Not sure how deep compared to the others, but I think Whirlwind is a solid title at a good price these days.

#60 5 years ago

Of the games discussed so far in this thread, I own several, here's my take in order of depth:

TSPP: One of the deepest ever! Unlikely to find at $3500.

RBION: Great game! Deep rules. Often many different ways to play strategically in any given situation. Atlantis and Frog Frenzy can be very difficult/rare to get depending on game setup.

TFTC: A slight edge in terms of depth over LAH. Not a family friendly theme.

LAH: Lots of great mode and the possibility for strategic stacking. Wizard mode is a bit meh unless you get Caker's code.

NBAFB: Great rules and a very fun game for casual and experienced players alike. A lot of modes and getting a single ring, let alone 4, can be challenging. Not much strategic stacking, but there is definitely a lot of opportunity for other strategy in how to play. That being said, the rules are probably more broad than deep.

Maverick: Wizard mode is not easy to get to and there is definitely a lot of strategic possibilities, but with only 5 modes plus the poker hands, I'm not sure it's a deep rule set. However, it may be one of the deepest pins strategically for such a "compact" rule set. A single strategic misstep can really impact your score, but you always have the opportunity to score big. For some reason, the basic rules are a little difficult to grasp unless explained. 17 drop targets! Great bang for the buck.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I don't know about that, there were 2 nice Shadows sold or 1 was sold and one may still be for sale listed at 2700 and 2800, I bought one of them and it's awesome. I'm not a fan of GOT and don't know the asking prices but Met is a great pin and most I've seen are 2k above these shadow prices. Even if the Shadow were priced at 3500 that's a pretty big price difference.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Does it let you make some progress and feel rewarded without having to hit shots that are really tight? I think that's the biggest thing for engaging the non-pinheads. The game that sucked me in was Star Trek, because even before I had developed any skills there were still some shots that I could make that made me feel like I was getting somewhere.

RBION is one of those games that could be really hit or miss for pinheads and non-pinheads alike

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Another vote for a nice Judge Dredd. If I'm walking by and want to enjoy just one game I usually end up playing my JD.

Plus one...lovin' my JD...always for a tumble (so to speak)........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deep-and-cheap/page/2?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.