Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinside have a dedicated sub forum for Arcade Video Games?”

• Yes! A sub forum for Arcade Games is a great compliment to an already awesome site 164 votes
      58%
    • I like arcade games but this IS a pinball forum so go over to KLOV and suck it 78 votes
      28%
    • No, go away and never speak of this again 39 votes
      14%

(281 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

blood_(resized).png
    DSC03552[1]_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5619_(resized).PNG
    IMG_5620_(resized).PNG
    460469-i_(resized).jpg
    462179-i_(resized).jpg
    462288-i_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.48_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.27_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.11_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.37_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.49_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.34_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.20_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.57_AM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.42_AM_(resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

I've been contributing to a "What arcade games do you own?" thread for awhile that got tossed in the basement. The basement is a free-for-all of every OFF TOPIC thread imaginable. (Sports, potheads, hamsters, bowling, bands, cars, sex acts, snorkels, gardening, politics....) I think this is really stupid as ARCADE and PINBALL go hand in hand. I have and restore both types of coin operated machines and think that arcade video games deserve a better place than at the bottom of a land fill. A lot of guys here own both and it would be nice to be able to have ARCADE stuff in one section for buying/selling, tech, restoration, etc. There are other sites that have this but they suck nards compared to Pinside.

What do you guys think?

#2 8 years ago

This forum program is far superior but there is KLOV already. No need to suck anything

I kid you had me at hampster snorkel sex gardening...

You could post it now in off topic but I see arcade questions on here a lot so maybe there are enough members that would desire a place.

#3 8 years ago

KLOV forums is already a great spot for arcade games discussions.

Keep the video games off pinside please.

#4 8 years ago

KLOVs forum is a dusty used up wasteland full of thieves, good ol boys, arrogant d-bags and back-stabbing blow-hards. Pinside is a far superior place technologically and the members and mods here are way cooler.

#5 8 years ago

I would be down.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

KLOVs forum is a dusty used up wasteland full of thieves, good ol boys, arrogant d-bags and back-stabbing blow-hards. Pinside is a far superior place technogoically and the members and mods here are way cooler.

Based on this post, I would have to say NO - keep the video games off pinside! Otherwise all these awful people will migrate over!

#7 8 years ago

Martijn and I have discussed adding arcades. After all, many of us have Pins AND vids in their gamerooms. Plus, Martijn is a big arcade fan (me, not so much although I do enjoy the occasional Track and Field, Mortal Combat, Bubble, and some others).

But long story short, I don't think we should have arcades in Pinside's archive but rather bring up a sister site on the same platform, and have the two sites "connect" in some way. But alas, right now all my time is tied up in Pinside, so please don't hold your breath

I would not have much issue with an arcade sub-forum (after all, people could disable it easily), but I'm fairly sure many people are cringing at the thought.

#8 8 years ago

Well thanks for considering it! - I'm curious what the poll results will be

Quoted from robin:

Martijn and I have discussed adding arcades. After all, many of us have Pins AND vids in their gamerooms. Plus, Martijn is a big arcade fan (me, not so much although I do enjoy the occasional Track and Field, Mortal Combat, Bubble, and some others).
    But long story short, I don't think we should have arcades in Pinside's archive but rather bring up a sister site on the same platform, and have the two sites "connect" in some way. But alas, right now all my time is tied up in Pinside, so please don't hold your breath
    I would not have much issue with an arcade sub-forum (after all, people could disable it easily), but I'm fairly sure many people are cringing at the thought.

#9 8 years ago

It'd be great to have a little subforum for this. Pretty please!

#10 8 years ago

Here's the kind of stuff i'm talking about .... a few of my restorations.

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.40.07_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.40.07_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.40.50_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.40.50_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.10_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.10_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.23_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.23_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.45.14_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.45.14_AM_(resized).png

#11 8 years ago

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.42_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.42_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.57_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.44.57_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.20_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.20_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.34_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.34_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.49_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.39.49_AM_(resized).png

#12 8 years ago

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.37_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.37_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.11_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.11_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.27_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.27_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.48_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.48_AM_(resized).png

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

There's value in focusing on doing 1 thing well, and not trying to be all things to all people. I think keeping Pinside "pure pinball" is a big part of its success.

Having said that, the idea of taking your software and running it somewhere else makes sense, if you wanted to do that. A simple connection idea would be that user accounts are shared, so I'd automatically be able to login with my pinside id there, if I wanted. But otherwise the arcade stuff doesn't appear here, and pinballs don't show up in collections there.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But long story short, I don't think we should have arcades in Pinside's archive but rather bring up a sister site on the same platform, and have the two sites "connect" in some way

I can see it now, Arcside.com :0)

#15 8 years ago

I'd love to see an arcade game sub-forum or an attached site pertaining to arcade games. Arcade games go hand in hand with pins to me and were all a big part of the arcade scene of my youth. I just don't dig KLOV. I like the Pinside scene and format much better.

#16 8 years ago

Exactly!

Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'd love to see an arcade game sub-forum or an attached site pertaining to arcade games. Arcade games go hand in hand with pins to me and were all a big part of the arcade scene of my youth. I just don't dig KLOV. I like the Pinside scene and format much better.

#17 8 years ago

Anybody else?

#18 8 years ago

Not me. I love me my arcade cabs, but KLOV fills that need just fine; no need to duplicate that effort.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

KLOV forums is already a great spot for arcade games discussions.
    Keep the video games off pinside please.

Pinsides format is 10000x better than Klov's 1981 BBS style. I would be on KLOV everyday if it was like Pinside in regards to format. Its hard to navigate and outdated. I would def. be very happy to see a dedicated thread, what does it hurt, We talk about everything else in here? TWO THUMBS UP for this idea!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I can see it now, Arcside.com :0)

Vidside?

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I've been contributing to a "What arcade games do you own?" thread for awhile that got tossed in the basement. The basement is a free-for-all of every OFF TOPIC thread imaginable. (Sports, potheads, hamsters, bowling, bands, cars, sex acts, snorkels, gardening, politics....) I think this is really stupid as ARCADE and PINBALL go hand in hand. I have and restore both types of coin operated machines and think that arcade video games deserve a better place than at the bottom of a land fill. A lot of guys here own both and it would be nice to be able to have ARCADE stuff in one section for buying/selling, tech, restoration, etc. There are other sites that have this but they suck nards compared to Pinside.
    What do you guys think?

Nothing against you personnaly, as we have never met. But there is KLOV, just because you decided to do things that caused you a permanent ban over there shouldnt mean that pinside should make up for that. I have both, pins and vids. I go to each site. I like the separation. Even more so now. Both sides have such drama queens and trolls, just imagine if you had all of them on one site

#22 8 years ago

I'd love to see a related arcade site to Pinside come into being. Would be great.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Nothing against you personnaly, as we have never met. But there is KLOV, just because you decided to do things that caused you a permanent ban over there shouldnt mean that pinside should make up for that. I have both, pins and vids. I go to each site. I like the separation. Even more so now. Both sides have such drama queens and trolls, just imagine if you had all of them on one site

let me say it would be like pinside perm banning hep over some bullcrap. pacman was a great asset to klov, the drama was caused by a mod if i remember. he personally helped me with many projects and sold me art at cost. pacman wears his heart on his sleeve and many on klov trolled him. the guy says whats on his mind and nothing wrong with that. pacman leaving klov was a big loss imho.
    there are the naysayers, everybody is entitled to their opinions but ejecting him from klov was weak. the place never been the same.

#24 8 years ago

vidside.com is already taken, alas.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'd love to see a related arcade site to Pinside come into being. Would be great.

There you go; that would be cool. A companion site separate from pinside.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

vidside.com is already taken, alas.

arcadeside?

Quoted from TheLaw:

There you go; that would be cool. A companion site separate from pinside.

They could be inner linked to one another so you could navigate from one to the other. Would need separate moderation teams but users would have the same avatar and perhaps some features like achievements would combine. Having separate databases also would be important.

Robin has done such amazing work here on Pinside, would be awesome for him to clone some facets for an arcade site.

#27 8 years ago

I would love this! I also think it will be great

#28 8 years ago

I'm more of a lurker here and just try to contribute and stay here just for pinball and don't get in community politics here, but as a user of the "other" popular site out there that we all know about, I don't find this suggestion very fair, especially when the OP is probably just suggesting that because he's perm-banned off of the other one and has been for a few years.

That's my two cents. Expansion is of course always welcome but I'd hate to see it split up the collector community even more (like, they're split now, but in a healthy manner), I think it's very healthy to have a pinball forum and an arcade forum separate, KLOV does have it's own pinball sub-forum but it's pretty empty. It would likely be the same on Pinside, but I could see that being fair since KLOV does indeed have their own section for that, under one single sub-forum. But, I think a whole new site would be a major waste of money, donations, and effort. Somebody's already done it, and it's been a very strong standing example of what we need for a very very very long time, and is *extremely* populated to the extent that Pinside is populated. My vote is to let it be and keep Pinside going strong, and not try a move that basically could turn out like the Ford Edsel.

I know some people here have some stupid hatred for KLOV and believe me it's the same on the other side (it's silly, but whatever) and I'd also hate to see any action regarding this flair up any drama between communities.

I might be younger (17) but I've seen this happen with communities a billion times before because my generation is simply on the internet a lot. Trust me, and just let it be. Please. Otherwise you're going to single-handled split up arcade support, information, help, sales, and more. People won't be happy about it and that's that. I love contributing to here and think all of the actions and additions here have been great but you should really think this one over and see if it's a price worth paying:

How active would it be?

How would people receive it? Yes, there are a few "double-collectors" here like myself but a lot of pinball people simply don't like arcade machines. So, they have no use for it and won't join. Also, how would the outer community receive it? A lot of my fellow arcade collectors probably wouldn't take it too well or just wouldn't join. I wouldn't, sorry.

How would the game archive be handled? Would it include redemption games? There's like a billion and two arcade machines out there, and also thousands of conversion kits, ROM swaps, variations, mods, and more. KLOV's database is old as hell and giant, but it took a long time to make it that way. There isn't just replay and add-a-ball variants, there's like a thousand Ms. Pacman mods alone that need to be documented and people will bitch if it's not. Would Pinside staff be prepared to work for that?

Simply, my vote is no. Stick to what you know Pinside staff and get your arcade fill in a thread here or just do it elsewhere, you don't need to own the entire scene of gaming even though I'm sure it's in good intentions. It will harm the community and also scramble the information even more out there and simply split things up between two major places (one known and solid, one likely to be highly advertised in this active community), which we don't need. It's going to be a major PITA to get arcade support for more unique games and will just split up pretty much everything for things that are hard to get already, parts, games, support, and a known community. Can't you just let this one be? I enjoy using both sites and already mentioned not using the arcade variation of whatever this site comes to be, but also would kind of taint my view of Pinside (the pinball site version) and would turn me off from using it a bit.

I think a single sub-forum would be suitable, but would kind of lack without a game archive, but still. Any more than that and it's stepping over the line IMHO. I don't think Pinside should make up for PACMAN/fizgig being perm-banned from KLOV, your fault, not anybody else's. Pinside doesn't have to even discuss KLOV or anything (obviously), but I don't think trying to make your own is too morally correct either. The staff here have done a great job making this a respected place for pinball discussion and is definitely THE spot to be for pinball collecting, but don't lose that respect by blowing it by wanting more, more, more. I'm happy discussing arcade machines where I do already and I'm sure everybody else is too, and I certainly feel no inclination towards moving. I really think it's in everybody's best interest to let this one go, guys. Seriously. That's not a threat or anything, I just know this will backfire all around, regardless if the initial idea works out a bit or not.

My vote is sub-forum or nothing at all. It isn't needed and would feel like a kick in the nuts. It's Pinside, not Arcadeside.

#29 8 years ago

I thought that it was him that got banned.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I don't think trying to make your own is too morally correct either. The staff here have done a great job making this a respected place for pinball discussion and is definitely THE spot to be for pinball collecting, but don't lose that respect by blowing it by wanting more, more, more.

This is the real world. Competition exists with everything. You have to up your game every day because someone is going to come along and do it better than you and try to eat your lunch.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.42.37_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.11_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.27_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.43.48_AM_(resized).png

Look nice...are you the guy that makes reproduction games (new cabs, art etc) and got kicked off of klov a while back?

#32 8 years ago

KLOV sucks pacman your games are incredible.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

KLOVs forum is a dusty used up wasteland full of thieves, good ol boys, arrogant d-bags and back-stabbing blow-hards. Pinside is a far superior place technologically and the members and mods here are way cooler.

...says the guy who was BANNED from KLOV for being an arrogant douchebag?!

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

KLOV sucks pacman your games are incredible.

Ah... and twiddle-dee chimes in. Yet another who was banned. FWIW, anyone who's been on KLOV should know it TAKES EFFORT to be banned there...

#35 8 years ago

I'm all for it. Of course as Robin mentioned above, a sister site would be best so that it could utilize all of the features that exist in their own way, Mfr/genre sub forums, marketplace, arcade map, etc... but in lieu of that happening I think a suforum here would be a great starting place.

#36 8 years ago

I can see it now........

Will a Discs of Tron Environmental cabinet fit in a Subaru Outback?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from FrizzleFried:

Ah... and twiddle-dee chimes in. Yet another who was banned. FWIW, anyone who's been on KLOV should know it TAKES EFFORT to be banned there...

KLOV is for guys like you.

#38 8 years ago

Oh... FWIW, if you guys did put up an arcade section I'd likely become a regular.

#39 8 years ago

Robin already said the best option. Make it a sub-forum that the 'purists' can disable. No harm no foul.

The simple fact that you would be more likely to pull in 'arcade people' to get in to pinball should be worth it to he naysayers.

Let's do it!

#40 8 years ago

i would also show up more often if you guys had a sub forum for video games.

i have about 35 machines now and sadly no pins [yet].

Good Luck PACMAN!

#41 8 years ago

I'm for it as well, though I would still go to Klov for my day-to-day video game needs.

#42 8 years ago

PACMAN

your restores are awesome I always loved them in the arcade form

I think they can let that thread out of the basement.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is the real world. Competition exists with everything. You have to up your game every day because someone is going to come along and do it better than you and try to eat your lunch.

I don't care about who "does it better", I just know it'll split people up, which is rough in a community based on rare things and rare help/information. If somebody was trying to make a carbon-copy Pinside you'd probably understand more.

That's all I'm worried about, mostly. Obviously it's a free choice, just, bleh.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from FrizzleFried:

it TAKES EFFORT to be banned there...

Apparently it does here too, hehe (Regarding posts #7 and #8 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-have-a-new-tool-sub-forum-eject, but that's off-topic)

#45 8 years ago

A sub-forum would be a GREAT start! I also love Robin's idea of a sister site. KLOV should be begging to pay Robin for a license to his software, if nothing else.

Where do I make the monetary contribution towards this sister site development?

#46 8 years ago

I personally appreciated Pacman's/Fizgig contributions and miss being able to see his restore pics on KLOV. However, I come to pinside for pins and klov for vids. The community on both sites is 95% super supportive and helpful and I haven't had any bad experiences in 3 years. Wouldn't spend time in vid section here on pinside.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

What do you guys think?

I voted yes.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

Robin already said the best option. Make it a sub-forum that the 'purists' can disable. No harm no foul.
    The simple fact that you would be more likely to pull in 'arcade people' to get in to pinball should be worth it to he naysayers.
    Let's do it!

I've already got three quarters of those silly sub forums turned off now. They are totally useless to me.

#49 8 years ago

I voted yes. I can't even log onto Klov. I joined before you needed a referral/donation but didn't use my account for years. I tried last year to log in and I wasn't aloud to post unless I paid. I tried talking to a gm but got ignored.

Start small with a subforum and if it takes off do the sister site.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

I voted yes. I can't even log onto Klov. I joined before you needed a referral/donation but didn't use my account for years. I tried last year to log in and I wasn't aloud to post unless I paid. I tried talking to a gm but got ignored.
    Start small with a subforum and if it takes off do the sister site.

It is like $1 or $2 and helps verify that you are a real person and not opening multiple accounts.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dedicated-video-arcade-sub-forum-vote-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.