(Topic ID: 54079)

Decline of Pinball due to operators being lazy?

By Av8

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    frankspub.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrivelli.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I have had that problem for years but finally found a solution that works for me. I finally spent the extra money to purchase IMONEX coin acceptors to stop fighting the Canadian coins, other companies tokens that would jamn the machines. The service calls are too just too expensive. Customers often do not really know what is in there pockets as they just reach in and put the coin in the machine. A positive that has happened is I now get 40 to 70 dollars a week in quarters in the places I only take tokens so the switch will pay for itself sooner and with less service calls I am also saving time and money.

Exactly! Many people simply don't know what they are putting in or even how to press the start button. A bummer to hear them being called thieves when most of the time people have no clue. And to wonder why the decline in the industry....

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Should have a debit card swiper on pins nowadays.....If anyone uses that idea I claim 5% royalties on each transaction.

Agreed! Not overly tough to do. Hit the phone jack and go go go! I don't carry quarters at all. Weighs me down! At the very least needs a bill acceptor, but that seems to be highly uncommon as well.

You can definitely tell the successful ops though. They have clean games that work, bill collectors etc. And when you meet them you can tell as well

#75 10 years ago

PArt of the issue I've seen with some arcades I go in is that the owner seems to have the mentality of "All I need to do is rent a building, put in some random games I think are cool and let them come!"

Although, the arcades don't look full, there is no flow to the arcade floor, the games are old and boring and uninteresting, they aren't bright enough, there is no cool paint or lighting in the building itself etc. There is soooo soooo much more these days to making a sweet arcade. Opinions could go on and on forever, but some of it is just pure fact. I take a look at the successful arcades in my area and they all have the same elements:
    - Sweet games for everyone - pins, old arcades, new arcades, beer etc
    - great paint to give an arcade feel
    - EL wire on edges of arches for lighting, colored lights in the ceilings etc

The days of opening a building and filling it with your arcade collection are more than long gone. Creativity has to play a role now. Microsoft loses money on the sale of the Xbox, like many large companies they have a loss leader. Although, they make a killlling on games. So, maybe ops who hate redemption do need the barber shop games at the front to draw people and money in, but still offer the pins and other arcades they like.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrivelli.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decline-of-pinball-due-to-operators-being-lazy?tu=jrivelli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.