(Topic ID: 54079)

Decline of Pinball due to operators being lazy?

By Av8

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    frankspub.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

I was in Austin Texas yesterday and found five or six Pinball machines in the wild on 6th Street. Terminator two demolition Man Adams family. And the only one that works was twilight zone. I brought a non pinball collector into the bar and I was ready to dump a lot of money into these machines.

T2 s flipper would stick up. Eos switch worn out. I spent all of 2$ because they were unplayable. My friend was unimpressed and will likely never put a dime in pin again.

Wtf operators?

#2 10 years ago

Funny.

My machines are clean and working. And I've had 5 customers since noon. They've spent less than $10.

Wtf players ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I was in Austin Texas yesterday and found five or six Pinball machines in the wild on 6th Street. Terminator two Demolition Man Adams family. And the only one that works was Twilight Zone. I brought a non pinball collector into the bar and I was ready to dump a lot of money into these machines.
    T2 s flipper would stick up. Eos switch worn out. I spent all of 2$ because they were unplayable. My friend was unimpressed and will likely never put a dime in pin again.
    Wtf operators?

Yawn. If you can do better go ahead.

#4 10 years ago

sad but true. of all the location pins near me there are only 3 places that I know of that keep the games clean and tuned. all the rest of the locations that have pins they are all pretty much unplayable. 2 of the locations are movie theaters and one is a bar where the one pin they have is owned and maintained by a member here.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Funny.
    My machines are clean and working. And I've had 5 customers since noon. They've spent less than $10.
    Wtf players ?

if only I lived closer, I would be in every week.

#7 10 years ago

A lot of pins in the wild are shot, playfield wear is the most common. Hard to read whats left of the writing . Weak flippers and up kickers are another thing that irritate me. Especially when I'm spending more than a quarter to play.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Funny.
    Wtf players ?

Hah, at least your customers spent money. I still get tokens from other crap arcades jamming up my machines all the time.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Hah, at least your customers spent money. I still get tokens from other crap arcades jamming up my machines all the time.

You have to catch them. It's called theft of services when you call the police.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You have to catch them. It's called theft of services when you call the police.

I'm way better off not catching them. No one would understand if they saw me kicking the crap out of some cheap ass prick over a handful of tokens. People just don't understand that it's stealing and they never will.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I was in Austin Texas yesterday and found five or six Pinball machines in the wild on 6th Street. Terminator two Demolition Man Adams family. And the only one that works was Twilight Zone. I brought a non pinball collector into the bar and I was ready to dump a lot of money into these machines.

Wtf operators?

Should have gone to Pinballz......

#12 10 years ago

your standards are just too high thats all- you get real spoiled haveing fresh tuned machines at the house you can play any moment of any day, with the freshest waxed ball and playfeild set to the rake of your chooseing.

the buisness end will seldom out preform the rabid hobbiest with ocd. there bottom line is the line.

dont get me wrong i understand your point. a grip of mine also it seems like many locals nearest me keep limited hours and often i do night shift and am a morning person.

less than 2% of my plays are in the feild for a few or theses reasons

#13 10 years ago

Times have changed. I tried having pins for play, very good condition. Just a huge lack of interest by joe public, too much home entertainment & gambling.

#14 10 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to video/computer/console games. Pinball is popular on the iPad...

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Pinball is popular on the iPad

Anyone watch Gary Stern's speech at the last pinball show? He talked about how video games have shifted to smartphones and tablets, and says he's in talks with farsight to do some sort of simultaneous release of a virtual table and the real thing to get people to play more pins on route, seeing how the price of RBION went up since it hit that app
    http://pinballsoul.com/gary-stern-seminar-from-tacoma-washington

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to video/computer/console games. Pinball is popular on the iPad...

i pad? wow, i admit i never tried it so i dont really know jack- but my gut reaction is the world is really going to hell- how could that be any part of the pinball exp- to denigh one self such pleasure

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

i pad? wow, i admit i never tried it so i dont really know jack- but my gut reaction is the world is really going to hell- how could that be any part of the pinball exp- to denigh one self such pleasure

Certainly not like playing a real machine, but it certainly does help learn the rules.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

Wow. I've purchased most of the Pinball Arcade tables and really enjoy them. There's a zero percent chance of owning most of those games. I don't think the world is going to hell because of this.

#19 10 years ago

Players would pay 50 cents a game in 1980 and 33 years later they won't pay a dollar and bitch about 75 cents. Ops can take in a dollar in a gambling machine or coin pusher in seconds with almost no maintainance or repairs.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from ThatGuy:

Wow. I've purchased most of the Pinball Arcade tables and really enjoy them. There's a zero percent chance of owning most of those games. I don't think the world is going to hell because of this.

They are really well done. Obviously the real thing is better, but it is a nice way to play a lot of games that are priced out of this world or simply no where on route to play. I play them at home on my tablet and enjoy them a lot.

#21 10 years ago

I just wish they would make sure the machines are level as I recently played ACDC and Tron at different venues and both were so unlevel they were wobbling around...I actually had to level them myself so I could enjoy the game! One had some folded up cardboard under the legs on one side which looked like someone had at least made an attempt.

#22 10 years ago

Earnings have steadily climbed at my location. Keep them clean and working, rotate frequently, and lots of word of mouth.

#23 10 years ago

I can do better! OPERATORS, If the flippers dont work the game is dead! Give me the keys and I will fix them...FREE.

I have bought parts on Pinballlife and delivered to operators free, on 3 occasions. How much does a flipper rubber or coil sleave cost? WTF.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I have bought parts on Pinballlife and delivered to operators free

Cool. I'll send you my parts list.

You do tools too, or just parts ?

( am kidding, and appreciate your trying to make pinball out there better )

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

your standards are just too high thats all- you get real spoiled haveing fresh tuned machines at the house you can play any moment of any day, with the freshest waxed ball and playfeild set to the rake of your chooseing.
    the buisness end will seldom out preform the rabid hobbiest with ocd. there bottom line is the line.
    dont get me wrong i understand your point. a grip of mine also it seems like many locals nearest me keep limited hours and often i do night shift and am a morning person.
    less than 2% of my plays are in the feild for a few or theses reasons

Mine too high? No your standards are just to low. If the flippers are sticking or have no rubber the game is dead. Players remember lost money and bad pinball experience just will not come back. Broken machines KILL the industry like a cancer.

New/young Players are pinballs only hope for long term survival.

#26 10 years ago

Pinball, on location, has been dead around here for years.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Mine too high? No your standards are just to low. If the flippers are sticking or have no rubber the game is dead. Players remember lost money and bad pinball experience just will not come back. Broken machines KILL the industry like a cancer.
    N
    ew/young Players is pinballs only hope for long term survival.

testify brother! what you said is so true. if a kid,or anyone plunks money into a game and it wont work as it should it will stay with them. they will most likely not even bother with another pinball game. to all ops,keep em clean and working. we will support you.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Pinball, on location, has been dead around here for years.

That's what it was like here for the past 10 years. Only takes one good location to turn that around.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

we will support you.

One could only hope.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

OPERATORS, If the flippers dont work the game is dead!

You're yelling at the wrong operators. Most of the operators than I know of here do a good job of maintaining their games. I regularly get compliments on my location games. If you're ever near Sunnyvale Cal, stop by Pizza Depot on Duane ave. I won't make any promises, but I like your chances.

Quoted from Av8:

Again, what good does it do to complain here? If you can't get an operator to properly clean or maintain his or her games, talk to the business owner. Business owners always want to hear how they can make more money. If talking to the owner doesn't work, don't patronize the business and don't encourage others to. When you find good a good location, feel free to let us all know here. Whining here about operators in a town thousands of miles away from where you live accomplishes nothing.

If you did indeed give parts to an op, thank you. Nice contribution to the hobby. I don't take donations outside the coin slots, but I probably should.

#31 10 years ago

I have had that problem for years but finally found a solution that works for me. I finally spent the extra money to purchase IMONEX coin acceptors to stop fighting the Canadian coins, other companies tokens that would jamn the machines. The service calls are too just too expensive. Customers often do not really know what is in there pockets as they just reach in and put the coin in the machine. A positive that has happened is I now get 40 to 70 dollars a week in quarters in the places I only take tokens so the switch will pay for itself sooner and with less service calls I am also saving time and money.

#32 10 years ago

In a word, ^^This guy^^ knows how to run machines on location. They are maintained better than most private collections.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I have had that problem for years but finally found a solution that works for me. I finally spent the extra money to purchase IMONEX coin acceptors to stop fighting the Canadian coins, other companies tokens that would jamn the machines. The service calls are too just too expensive. Customers often do not really know what is in there pockets as they just reach in and put the coin in the machine. A positive that has happened is I now get 40 to 70 dollars a week in quarters in the places I only take tokens so the switch will pay for itself sooner and with less service calls I am also saving time and money.

Exactly! Many people simply don't know what they are putting in or even how to press the start button. A bummer to hear them being called thieves when most of the time people have no clue. And to wonder why the decline in the industry....

#34 10 years ago

The World Academy for the Regulation of Pinball (WARP) give awards to diligent, concienscious operators, awarding their loyalty to our four legged friends. Pinball Operators Verification (POV) randomly issue on the spot tickets to ride to operators with their head in the coin box. God bless operators - please keep doing a good job.

#35 10 years ago

Should have a debit card swiper on pins nowadays.....If anyone uses that idea I claim 5% royalties on each transaction.

#36 10 years ago

Hmmm Sixth street Austin TX. I will have to send a friend in and find the owner and try to buy those machines from him! Thanx for the tip LOL

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Should have a debit card swiper on pins nowadays.....If anyone uses that idea I claim 5% royalties on each transaction.

Agreed! Not overly tough to do. Hit the phone jack and go go go! I don't carry quarters at all. Weighs me down! At the very least needs a bill acceptor, but that seems to be highly uncommon as well.

You can definitely tell the successful ops though. They have clean games that work, bill collectors etc. And when you meet them you can tell as well

#38 10 years ago

Pinball is too expensive and complicated to maintain. A crane machine, arcade machine, a jukebox, pretty much anything else coin operated brings in more money and is easier to maintain.

Ironically pinball is also simultaneously too expensive and too cheap to play. A newbie puts in 50 cents and plays for one minute and thinks it's too expensive while a better player pays 50 cents and plays for 10 minutes, not including the replay.

Places like arcade bars where the income comes from alcohol and food is the future. Then the cost of machines and maintenance is worth it.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeux:

Places like arcade bars where the income comes from alcohol and food is the future.

See Seattle... perfect example, "oh, $2.00 Rainier Tall-boys... I'm in for at least $10 on pins over 30min, plus cost of said booze (and ice cream if needed)"...."Oh, pizza and cheap beer at Dorky's...plus a chit ton of pins (minus the one bad apple emo/hipster staffer with a chitty attitude)!?!?! I'm in!"

Full-Tilt, Ballard, Highly recommend it! Dorky's Barcade, also awesome, but not as on point as Full-Tilt - both places though keep their pins in awesome shape for being on route.

#40 10 years ago

the place near me owns it's own pins and they ALWAYS have issues. Sometimes there minor and you let the op know when you see him working on one but he never seems to fix them or care. No other locations close to this place so not like I can go elsewhere.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I can do better! OPERATORS, If the flippers dont work the game is dead! Give me the keys and I will fix them...FREE.
    I have bought parts on Pinballlife and delivered to operators free, on 3 occasions. How much does a flipper rubber or coil sleave cost? WTF.

My point didn't quite come across correctly. I took over an arcade because there was no place to play quality pinball in my area. I listened to your complaint from others for years and did something about it. Complaining doesn't help. If you have the knowledge, skill, and dedication to run and maintain an arcade then I say go for it.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

In a word, ^^This guy^^ knows how to run machines on location. They are maintained better than most private collections.

Thank you.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I also switched to Imonex mechs. They are very good. I use .900 tokens and these mechs also accept quarters. The problem is the larger .984 tokens from other arcades can still cause problems because no one knows how to push the reject button when they get stuck.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Great idea but cost prohibitive. There are systems now to put card readers on arcade games. You get a card at the desk and buy any amount of credits you want. Each card reader is about $125. I have 25 machines so That would be over $3000 plus whatever else the rest of the system costs. If the price comes down I would do it. Right now it's still too expensive to make sense for me.

#45 10 years ago

I just did a service call for a home customer that had Theatre Of Magic on his ipad. Told me word for word he would seek these games out to play if he didn't have the app on his phone to play for free.

#46 10 years ago

here in NYC we 're lucky enough to have 3 ops who are on top of it.Pinaholic,bigehrl,and Max keep there games tweaked and running.Does stuff still break?Of course but they are pretty quick with repairs and replacements.Scott

#47 10 years ago

EVERY local pin to me has issues. Weak flippers, broken features, levels out to one side, the list goes on.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I just did a service call for a home customer that had Theatre of Magic on his ipad. Told me word for word he would seek these games out to play if he didn't have the app on his phone to play for free.

I own ToM because I played it on ipad first.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I just did a service call for a home customer that had Theatre of Magic on his ipad. Told me word for word he would seek these games out to play if he didn't have the on his phone to play for free.

Seek out and buy a machine are far different things. I wouldn't buy a ToM for a couple reasons. One, I can't afford it, two, it's kinda boring after awhile. Although, if one were on route around me I would seek it out and play it.

If a guy has the liquid cash, loves the game on the iPad and doesn't buy it, he's probably not a pinhead.

#50 10 years ago

Ipad App is good exposure for industry/pins. Like the hard to find. I would never have considered Dr Dude, Centaur or Firepower. All great pins now on my radar because of Ipad app.

Still no substitute for the real thing. Fear not the app.

Where is your arcade Mike?

6th Austin TX is a great by the way! Killer live No Cover music, great food and pins in most of the bars and barcade. University of Texas college town.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decline-of-pinball-due-to-operators-being-lazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.