(Topic ID: 148367)

Decisions, decisions: Paid for IMVE, move to SM?

By forensicd

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Mando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

So i am waiting on an IMVE. I have it paid and waiting for over a month or so. With SM potentially coming out, or GB, is it worth just moving over the money to it? For the record, played on IM once, never played SM, but love both themes, and GB would all but be mine.

#2 8 years ago

Wait and see and play the games if you can.

#3 8 years ago

That's the problem I'm having, stick with IMVE or go with SM.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from DarthSnowMan:

That's the problem I'm having, stick with IMVE or go with SM.

Not too easy of a decision since you'll need to add more cash.

#5 8 years ago

its a tough decision. We in Indiana have very few, if any, places to play new pins. I work a lot, so taking off and going to try out a pin is pretty much a no go. I love the layout of SM, but like the toughness of IM. GB is just a dream theme for me.

#6 8 years ago

Well there should be some huo IM available in the future, so no rush to buy one NIB, but stern is winding down on making these. The others may never come out. Play all the games before you buy is the best bet.

I have to ask though, do you like BSD, acdc Pro, Shadow, FT, TWD? Do you like how they can be tough and mean? If you do IM is for you.

It is a game that will kick your butt, but you will hit the start button again and again. Newbies and expert pin players both like IM, you can play doubles on it with a player not as good and the lesser player will not get bored and you can have 4 players on it in a tournament and it is a quick round. Kids like it due to theme also. Get IM If you can handle it.

#7 8 years ago

There isn't really any reason sm should cost more. It's a pro level game by comparison

#8 8 years ago

I assume you're talking about SMVE which we don't have any price, pictures of. Nor GB for that matter.

IMO GB may be good, if so I'd just as seen wait and see how the code is etc.. If it's a big hit Stern will be selling them for 2 years. I don't really care about getting the game first. I got XMLE and ST early and don't recommend it. I got IM, Tron, AcDc, Met over 2-3 years after they were released and don't feel like I missed out on being one of the first to own. It's often nice to get the games later in production or very low play HUO.

Speaking of SMVE I've heard that's around $1700 more than IMVE but don't know the actual numbers.

Personally I had both classic SM and IMVE at the same time and really prefer the IM. I sold SM don't miss it a lot. I do like SM but have STLE and they're similar layout, also SM can be a long (looooong) game so IMO when I play SM I'm half way getting bored. Not terrible, feel the same wiht PotC but with IM just feels right as it's much quicker games. Great for parties or to have 2-4 player games on.

#9 8 years ago

This is actually a decision I am going to make soon too. I've got money in my pocket for a NIB pro priced game. If SMVE is premium priced I'm out and I'll have to make a decision on one of these:
    GOT pro
    TWD pro
    IMVE
    used older SM

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This is actually a decision I am going to make soon too. I've got money in my pocket for a NIB pro priced game. If SMVE is premium priced I'm out and I'll have to make a decision on one of these:
    GOT pro
    TWD pro
    IMVE
    used older SM

I've not played TWD much, not played GOT yet. But see you have Met pro, IMVE is a great brutal game like Met pro and I've heard TWD Is also.

SM is more relaxed. Center post on SM is nice when it saves your butt from the STM drains but it'll double your game times. So a long game on SM doesn't feel like as much of an accomplishment as it does on some other games.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Center post on SM is nice when it saves your butt from the STM drains but it'll double your game times.

This is a good point. SMVE will be my second go at owning SM and the centre post is coming straight out.

#12 8 years ago

Yep, and that's kinda what I want, deeper rules, longer ball times, and more relaxed thus SM. GOT has me intrigued tho.

#13 8 years ago

I have a feeling ghostbusters is going to be pretty good!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Yep, and that's kinda what I want, deeper rules, longer ball times, and more relaxed thus SM. GOT has me intrigued tho.

I understand, I love Tspp especially because it has great rules and call outs something that SM has also. I have STLE which is one thing that may have been working against SM as the layouts (not identical) but very similar.

I don't love PotC but it's more relaxing and longer game times are good for a change of pace.

IM has good rules but could have some added, skill shot and some thing like a side mode (not essential) but just that IM is so short on rules could be a problem. I don't play enough for that to be an issue and I have 8 pins if it was in a small collection IM might be at a disadvantage. I think every pin could benefit by rule update, but especially IM.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I understand, I love Tspp especially due to its rules. I have STLE which is one thing that may have been working against SM as the layouts (not identical) but very similar.
    I don't love PotC but it's more relaxing and longer game times are good for a change of pace.
    IM has good rules but could have some added, skill shot and some thing like a side mode (not essential) but just that IM is so short on rules could be a problem. I don't play enough for that to be an issue and I have 8 pins if it was in a small collection IM might be at a disadvantage.

Did you disable your top post on IM Rai?

#16 8 years ago

I'd stick with the IMVE personally. GB is definitely on my radar but it's a wait and see. Even if I do move to GB I will not be selling IM to get into it.......IM is staying.

SM is a great pin but I prefer more brutal games overall and SM games can get a little longish for my liking.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Did you disable your top post on IM Rai?

No, I believe the post is used during the game such as to drop the ball into the pops so I don't want to mess up the game play, I'm just saying there should be a player control disable on the post like Maetallica and Tron.

I'm not thinking it's something that needs to be turned off to make a more challenging skill shot, Stern should program in a skill shot rather than have us disable the post.

#18 8 years ago

Had a party, 4 of the 8 guys owned IM and yet that was still the most played game of all my pins (I didn't have Met then).

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

No, I believe the post is used during the game such as to drop the ball into the pops so I don't want to mess up the game play, I'm just saying there should be a player control disable on the post like Maetallica and Tron.
    I'm not thinking it's something that needs to be turned off to make a more challenging skill shot, Stern should program in a skill shot rather than have us disable the post.

Disable the post on IM to not only get a skill shot, but for it to feel like a whole new game! Try it and have some fun.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Disable the post on IM to not only get a skill shot, but for it to feel like a whole new game! Try it and have some fun.

I'll try it.

#21 8 years ago

To me SM and IM are too completely different games when it comes to ball times. IM is short and quick. SM can be a long ride to reach super hero.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I've not played TWD much, not played GOT yet. But see you have Met pro, IMVE is a great brutal game like Met pro and I've heard TWD Is also.
    SM is more relaxed. Center post on SM is nice when it saves your butt from the STM drains but it'll double your game times. So a long game on SM doesn't feel like as much of an accomplishment as it does on some other games.

Twd makes met seem like a cake walk lol. Very frustrating to say the least .

#23 8 years ago

I like the short ball times, I dont want another LOTR. I had some games that lasted 45 minutes on it! Is spiderman really that long?

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

I like the short ball times, I dont want another LOTR. I had some games that lasted 45 minutes on it! Is spiderman really that long?

Can be, if you're a good player you might.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

Spider-Man is very long. Helps if you install lightning flippers. Main Street Amusements has pretty much all the new games from Stern if you can make it to Lafayette.

#26 8 years ago

Is Stern producing anymore IMVE's?

#27 8 years ago

I hope so! Im getting a little worried as it been a long time since I have paid for it.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

This is a good point. SMVE will be my second go at owning SM and the centre post is coming straight out.

Keep the post in. Go with lightning flippers. It's a blast!

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

I hope so! Im getting a little worried as it been a long time since I have paid for it.

If your distributer thinks more are coming that's good news for me, as I'm looking for one. Rumor is Stern might make some more--one can only hope...

3 weeks later
    #30 8 years ago

If anyone is looking to drop out on IMVE I may be up for taking your spot

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decisions-decisions-paid-for-imve-move-to-sm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.