You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151226_202228_(resized).jpg
20151226_202201_(resized).jpg
20151226_202151_(resized).jpg
20151226_202140_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DirtFlipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

The capacitor is for powering the Alternating relay. I think in this application it's serving to 'debounce' the signal, so the relay can stay energized while the pair of switches settle their state, and perhaps also rectifying the AC signal to DC (although I've not researched that, but that's what rectifiers generally do).

The "Drop Target Sw." is the make/break you fabbed/replaced. It changes state when all four targets are down (C37 has two of these, as there's another 'drop target sequence completed' switch on the schematic, which is the one in the center of the target bank).

The diodes are there to only allow current to flow in on direction (towards the Alternating relay). Since you say that the Drop Target switch was getting hot, I'd guess that a diode was reversed, and the current from the cap was flowing back through the switch. The wiring in your picture looks a bit funky for what's left of the diodes, especially with the twisted wires, so it's at least not how it left the factory.

Replacing the diodes is fairly straightforward, but pay particular attention to the banded side of the diode for correct orientation.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

unless they worried the cap could send the charge in the wrong direction?

I think so.

I'd suspect this is an 'improved' version of the other capacitor-based buffer they used on other games. Those have the cap mounted on the back of a Jones plug.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DirtFlipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decipher-this-for-me?tu=DirtFlipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.