Decal Opinions

By FightNightFZ

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I recently picked up a pretty nice RS that has just a few issues keeping it from being really great. One of them is the cabinet. Overall I would say that it is an 8/10 with minor blemishes throughout and wrinkling from leg protectors. I saw a set of decals for sale and was wondering the pros/cons. How do they look when installed? How hard it is to get them on perfectly? Will it take the paint off if I ever decide to remove them?

I want to be able to just airbrush the blemishes but I feel that would be so hard with color matching, skills needed, cost, etc.

What do you guys think?

#2 9 years ago

I believe you strip and sand the cabinet to prepare it for decals.

They look great on ironman

#3 9 years ago

So that would eliminate saving anything underneath. It is an all or nothing deal. What does it do to the value?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

What does it do to the value?

Nothing

#5 9 years ago

So that would eliminate saving anything underneath. It is an all or nothing deal. What does it do to the value?

Do not underestimate the work going into a decal swap. It's the single most work intense part of restoring a machine!

You need to get the old decals off, smoothen out the cab, filler, smoothen, filler, smoothen, ground coat, smoothen...etc.
Any slightest imperfection will be visible when the decals are applied. It needs to be as even as glass.

#6 9 years ago

It is at least 40 hours work for a newbie.

#7 9 years ago

Crap, I barely have time to dedicate learning the rules and getting good playtime.

#8 9 years ago

Don't do it unless the cabinet is totally beat and your a perfectionist. Lots of work and not as easy as it seems. Spend that time playing.

#9 9 years ago

No the cabinet is not that bad, just some blemishes. I plan on keeping the pin for a long time so I want to make it real nice. I'm not an artist but maybe airbrushing I t and clear coat is the best way

#10 9 years ago

No the cabinet is not that bad, just some blemishes. I plan on keeping the pin for a long time so I want to make it real nice. I'm not an artist but maybe airbrushing I t and clear coat is the best way

If you don't have any serious nicks in the wood I would recommend airbrush and slightly fogged on clear. In the big picture of the cab those little touch ups will make a huge difference.

#11 9 years ago

Anyone have experience using paint to touch up decals on more modern games? I have a slightly faded WH20 with no dings and the blue behind the graphics on the decal is still rich. Fade is just in logo and Bigfoot character.

I watch those videos TNT Amusements puts up on YouTube and they have a guy who is dedicated to touching up cabinet art. Assuming it would take a high level of artistic skill and patience. but wondered if anyone does it, or is it too risky?

#12 9 years ago

I'd practice on some cheaper games than your expensive WH2O.

#13 9 years ago

It would be nice if I had someone local that could touch up and clearcoat at a reasonable price, not an easy thing for me to find. I just feel that even color matching the right paint takes too much skill lol

#14 9 years ago

In Germany we have a really good airbrush artist who happens to be a pinball enthusiast and goes on tour trough the country every half year or so. Basically he does house calls and touches up cabs in your home for small money.

Germany is smaller than Arizona I guess...but maybe there is someone who does similar stuff in your region?

#15 9 years ago

Yeah I think there is one guy but he always seems to be backed up with work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decal-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.