Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by ibis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1206 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1205 (resized).jpg
    Decagon Unit.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 12 months ago

I came across something I had never seen. A Decagon Parts Pamphlet. It's a full US Letter sized tri-fold with an exploded parts assembly view and parts list.

Decagon Unit.pdfDecagon Unit.pdf

#2 12 months ago
    Quoted from TomVila:

I came across something I had never seen. A Decagon Parts Pamphlet. It's a full US Letter sized tri-fold with an exploded parts assembly view and parts list.
    [quoted image]

I've come across these. Thanks for sharing it here.

#3 12 months ago

Does anyone re-manufacture the actual decagon score reel?

#4 12 months ago
    Quoted from BRONX:

Does anyone re-manufacture the actual decagon score reel?

No. Not to my knowledge. I believe someone has made a sticker strip with the numbers on it. It's purpose is to replace the worn off, or washed off numbers on the reel.

#5 12 months ago
    Quoted from TomVila:

[quoted image]

Exploded would be a good ending for those things

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

No. Not to my knowledge. I believe someone has made a sticker strip with the numbers on it. It's purpose is to replace the worn off, or washed off numbers on the reel.

The file for the score reel decals can be found at: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/ under the Gottlieb tab. They worked great for my Quick Draw, which has round reels. FedEx/Kinkos can print them on white adhesive vinyl. I recently purchased a Flip-A-Card that has the decagon reels, spent 32 bucks for another sheet, aaaaaand they don't fit - the numbers are the right size but the spacing in between is off. The paint on my reels is pretty rough, so I'm likely going to cut each number and apply individually...

IMG_1205 (resized).jpgIMG_1205 (resized).jpgIMG_1206 (resized).jpgIMG_1206 (resized).jpg
    #7 11 months ago

I wonder why Gottlieb did away with the flat-edge reel designs. With both upper and lower light banks working well, this style of score reel blends almost seamlessly with the white framing on the backglass.

Maybe when the lower bank of lights went away (cost-cutting move?) they weren’t as bright as reels with a round contour.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

I wonder why Gottlieb did away with the flat-edge reel designs.

I think it was a lighting issue.
    .................David Marston

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from TomVila:

Can you post the other pages, please?

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Exploded would be a good ending for those things

I dunno about that, they'll run forever when fully cleaned and the switches are adjusted *properly* (many times someone has tried to 'fix' them by screwing up the switch adjustments or adjusting the wrong blades). All the competitors' units are simpler but also suffer from wear and can end up getting sloppy, with the numbers not lining up perfectly in the backglass.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I dunno about that, they'll run forever when fully cleaned and the switches are adjusted *properly* (many times someone has tried to 'fix' them by screwing up the switch adjustments or adjusting the wrong blades). All the competitors' units are simpler but also suffer from wear and can end up getting sloppy, with the numbers not lining up perfectly in the backglass.

I've never had a Bally or a Williams reel not line up correctly. Gottlieb rat traps, though...

Decagons are the German cars of score reels. Nice when working properly but overly complicated and a pain in the ass to work on.

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

If you open the attachment you can see the exploded view and parts list - it’s a three page pdf.

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Decagons are the German cars of score reels.

Great analogy. I used to service high tech German made machinery. When everything was right, the stuff ran great, but it was overly engineered, overly complicated, and prone to failure. I heard someone once say, "it's like cutting butter with a chainsaw".

#13 11 months ago

So that score reel would cost a total of $18.98 if it was put together in parts. I think we all would be buying new ones if they existed at that price. If this was remanufactured today they would be a whole heck of lot more than that! Interesting find, thanks for sharing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/decagon-parts-pamphlet- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.